Esato

Motorola announces the 4.3 inch Droid Razr

18 October 2011 by
News Articles:

Technical details:
• HTC Droid Incredible
• Motorola A1000
• Motorola A388c
• Motorola A835
• Motorola Admiral
• Motorola C350
• Motorola Defy Mini
• Motorola Defy Plus
• Motorola Droid
• Motorola Droid 2
• Motorola Droid 2 Global
• Motorola Droid 3
• Motorola Droid 4
• Motorola Droid Pro
• Motorola Droid Razr HD
• Motorola Droid Razr M
• Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
• Motorola Droid Razr XT912
• Motorola Droid X
• Motorola Droid X2
• Motorola Gleam Plus
• Motorola MOTO RAZR V3
• Motorola Motoluxe
• Motorola Motosmart
• Motorola MPx
• Motorola MPx200
• Motorola Photon 4G
• Motorola Pro+
• Motorola RAZR
• Motorola Razr i
• Motorola RAZR MAXX
• Motorola RAZR V3i
• Motorola T720
• Motorola Timeport 250
• Motorola Timeport 260
• Motorola V600
• Motorola V70
• Motorola Wilder
• Motorola XT531

From the forum:
Motorola today announced the 4.3 inch Motorola Droid Razr for Verizon in the US and Motorola Razr for GSM networks. Both models powered by a 1.2 GHz dual core processor

Motorola RAZR announced 

The Motorola Droid Razr / Motorola Razr is very thin Android smartphone with a 4.3 inch touch display. With only 7.1 mm depth, it is one of the thinnest smartphones available regardless of display size. The RAZR will be called DROID RAZR when sold by Verizon in the US and the network bands are CDMA800, CDMA900, CDMA2000, LTE 700. The GSM version named Motorola RAZR will have GSM network bands 850/900/1800/1900, 3G 900/2100, UMTS, HSDPA. Motorola claims that the RAZR is the "world's thinnest 4G LTE smartphone". Technically LTE is not 4G which makes the claim is easy to dispute.

Motorola RAZR missleading advertized measurementsA 7.1 mm depth would have been very, very thin if that was the case. As a comparison, the popular Samsung Galaxy S II has a depth of 8.49mm. As you can see from the product images, the thickest part of the phone is on top where the camera are located. On the other side, other companies do the same. Sony Ericsson claims the Xperia Arc is only 8.7 mm thick but forget to menation that these measurements are done where the phone is at its thinnest. Motorola are most likely doing the same thing. As we often do when the specifications seems to be good to be true, we validate them by calculate the dimension based on the official product images. That is easy to do. If 239 pixels is the same as the width 68.9 mm and 448 pixel height is the same as the 130.7 mm height, our measurement of 37 and 25 pixels tells us that the smallest part is 7.1 mm thin and the thickest part is approximately 10.8 mm. In our opinion, it will be wrong to advertise the Motorola Razr as the worlds thinnest 4G LTE phone when for example the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE is thinner. 

Wrong dimentions aside. Motorola are highlighting some of the nice features of the RAZR by mentioning a 1.2 GHz dual core processor, Corning Gorilla Glass, Kevlar Strong, Super AMOLED Advanced display, water-repellent nanocoating and a Smart Actions App which helps you save battery by changing phone settings during time intervals or based on current location. What's interesting with these specs are the Kevlar material used on the back cover and the nanocoating. The Motorola RAZR is "armed with Kevlar for extreme strength". Our guess is that Kevlar is used on the back side of the phone only. Kevlar is often used in places where extreme strength and low weight is required. It is 5 times stronger than steel on an equal weight basis. The nanocoating makes the RAZR water repellent and it even protect internal electronics against everyday spills. RAZR has not got an official IP code so we would not want to test the protection by pooring water over the phone.

Motorola RAZR highlights

  • Size: 130.7 x 68.9 x 7.1 (10.8) mm
  • Weight: 127 gram
  • 4.3 inch display, 540 x 960 pixel resolution, 16 million colours, Super AMOLED Advanced
  • Networks
    • DROID RAZR: CDMA 800/1900, 1xEV-DO rev. A, LTE
    • RAZR: GSM 850/900/1800/1900, WCDMA 900/2100, HSPA
  • Wi-Fi b/g/n
  • 8 megapixel camera
  • 1080p HD video capture main camera, 720p HD front camera
  • A-GPS
  • 1.2 GHz dual core processor
  • 1780 mAh battery
  • Talk time: 12.5 hours (DROID RAZR), 9 hours (RAZR)
  • Standby time: 8.5 days (DROID RAZR), 11 days (RAZR)
  • DLNA, HDMI, USB 2
  • 3.5 mm audio jack
  • Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread
  • 1 GB RAM. 16 GB internal storage plus an included 16 GB microSD card

source




Alternatively post this in the Esato forum


Please sign in to your Esato account to leave a comment regarding this article

Member name

Password
Bonovox8 years ago
Thats truly amazing specs for something that thin and only Motorola would pull it off!! I am not a fan of thin phones really but if this is as strong as they say then its all good!! The RAZR is back!!
hihihans8 years ago
Just a galaxy with a lump
Bonovox8 years ago
Visit forum to view images Well the one photo from the side view with the phone lying down reminds me of an Arc a little bit.
Dups!8 years ago
Wow, just wow!
Everything about this phone is perfect!
Just yesterday I was talking about how my Motorola Razr V8 looks as good as new after more than three years and they come up with a phone built like this.
Definitely something I can buy.
Gorgeous and classy!!
Hobbs8 years ago
Come upgrade time my head is going to spin with all these beautiful phones to choose from.I'm a fan of the RAZR brand.One of 130 000000 people that bought the first series.Yes this is just a RAZR by name and nothing more.But it has my attention.
Geezay8 years ago
@ Hobbs Yeah, upgrade time will certainly cause a lot of headaches! Spoilt for choice we are.
This is a truly a spectacular looking device, at least on paper. If it gets the ICS upgrade, that would be so cool and yummy
Bonovox8 years ago
I had the RAZR too it was amaing design but a boring phone but this is sonething else. How they fit so much inside that is beyond me
randomuser8 years ago
VERY impressive indeed.
But I think with the thickness and the dual core CPU this phone might have some serious heating issues
Bonovox8 years ago
Not of they use the right tech inside. Companies like Nokia in the N8 use a special coating on the CPU to keep it cool. Would be quite difficult fitting a CPU fan inside this device Visit forum to view images

_________________
We don't need money to have a good time!!!!
Visit forum to view images Xperia Ray Visit forum to view images
EsatoWorld Papertour *Renewed!
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-19 12:47 ]
julias8 years ago
I love the device but but would never want one because its Android.
Dups!8 years ago

On 2011-10-19 13:43:00, Bonovox wrote:
Not of they use the right tech inside. Companies like Nokia in the N8 use a special coating on the CPU to keep it cool. Would be quite difficult fitting a CPU fan inside this device Visit forum to view images



_________________

We don't need money to have a good time!!!!

Visit forum to view images Xperia Ray Visit forum to view images

EsatoWorld Papertour *Renewed!
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-19 12:47 ]


Yes, you're right! Motorola also uses a similar process, the Razr is having some coating inside.
This is really a phone I am more than likely to get, I don't use a phone camera much so those that are coming with 12mp cameras (yes, I am looking at you SE) next year will have to offer me something extraordinary cause right now this phone is at the top of my shopping list.
julias8 years ago
Motorola Smart Controller for RAZR pictures and hands-on...
http://www.pocket-lint.com/ne[....]ontroller-razr-pictures-tested
Bonovox8 years ago
Nice!! I am not normally a thin phone fan but this is nice and as they say has super strong body unlike Arc
argiriano8 years ago
I like DROID RAZR more than Galaxy Nexus... it is definitely on my next phone list, especially if part their ways... just because I`m almost 100% sure Sony will disappoint me. I hope I`m wrong but first my love of became from and second - looking at Sony last couple of years in other departments I see no bright future, because they are slow in everything.
So the king is dead, long live the Googorola!
Dups!8 years ago

On 2011-10-20 19:15:23, argiriano wrote:
I like DROID RAZR more than Galaxy Nexus... it is definitely on my next phone list, especially if part their ways... just because I`m almost 100% sure Sony will disappoint me. I hope I`m wrong but first my love of became from and second - looking at Sony last couple of years in other departments I see no bright future, because they are slow in everything.
So the king is dead, long live the Googorola!

That is my sentiment exactly! I will wait for Sony to prove me wrong but for now this is officially my next phone. The fact that Google owns Moto has actually made me a little comfortable with them and hopeful that Moto will be better or as good as SE in software optimization.
The only thing that would stop me from getting this is a poor review from Gsmarena, I really hope it is a great review.
Hobbs8 years ago
Holding thumbs for you Dups because I know how badly you want this phone.
Dups!8 years ago

On 2011-10-21 09:02:01, Hobbs wrote:
Holding thumbs for you Dups because I know how badly you want this phone.

Thanks Hobbs!
I want this phone badly.
Dups!8 years ago
I just remembered one thing that could put me off this phone even after excellent reviews- the terrible Motoblur skin!
I hate that skin with a passion! For me, there are only two wonderful Android skins, ie, Sense and Timescape. I hope Moto hasn't included that rubbish on this perfect phone for my needs.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-10-21 10:42 ]
Bonovox8 years ago
Dups!8 years ago
Turns out this sexy beast has the useless and pathetic Motoblur.
I am probably going to regret it but I am getting it nontheless. I just love this phone for what it offers.
I am now waiting for Gsmarena to review it and hopefully it is as good as the specs suggest.
Bonovox8 years ago
I had the Motorola Defy, from what I remember can't you turn off the Blur??
Dups!8 years ago
No, unfortunately you can't. It is similar to the likes of SE and HTC, it is their 'differentiation' in Android. As I wrote, I find that HTC and SE make better use of the skins than the rest.
I suppose I will have to bear and grin it in the case of the Razr. There just isn't any phone like it at the moment, I place great importance in build quality and call quality and I know Moto will never disappoint me in those areas.
I also read a preview over at Techradar and it seems like a very good performer this Razr. So far, I am loving it and can't wait to get it.
Bonovox8 years ago
Yes i am fussy about call quality too. Many years ago i was given Star Letter about it in What Mobile and it won me a w595. Anyway i an sure they have improved it in this device and with better processor too it should not slow you down
Hands on
www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr-review-667.php
Szadzik8 years ago
If you say that Razr is not the thinnest phone, maybe you should calculate the average thickness? Taking into account that around 15% of the phone is 10.8mm and 85% is 7.1 it means that overall the phone is 7.655mm and still the thinnest phone!!!
Even if 20% of the phone was 10.8mm then we would have the average thickness of 7.84mm and still the thinnest smartphone.
Now let's assume 10.8 measurement takes 25% of the body and we get the average tickness of 8.025mm and still we have the Razr as the thinnest smartphone.
Lollylost1008 years ago
But who cares about averages? Will your averaged out RAZR fit into an 8.025mm gap? No, because it's 10.8mm thick.
Szadzik8 years ago

On 2011-10-29 13:18:40, Lollylost100 wrote:
But who cares about averages? Will your averaged out RAZR fit into an 8.025mm gap? No, because it's 10.8mm thick.

Sure, but 85% of the device will still be 7.1mm!
Lollylost1008 years ago
Yes, but it's 10.8mm at it's thickest point. Saying it's 7.1mm is like measuring the wheelbase of a car from the start of the front wheel and the end of the rear wheel (whereas the wheelbase is from the centre of both).
Szadzik8 years ago

On 2011-10-29 14:05:02, Lollylost100 wrote:
Yes, but it's 10.8mm at it's thickest point. Saying it's 7.1mm is like measuring the wheelbase of a car from the start of the front wheel and the end of the rear wheel (whereas the wheelbase is from the centre of both).

Cool bro. If you want to think that way, go ahead.
martinezx8 years ago
No Xenon flash, No Qwerty Keyb, No normal call buttons... Not for me

Back to news headlines