Welcome to Esato.com



News Articles:

Technical details:

From the forum:

Sony: Don’t rule out Jelly Bean updates just yet


Click to view updated thread with images




Posted by tranced
Sony has been working to brings an Ice Cream Sandwich update to the vast majority of its 2011 smartphone lineup, but news emerged yesterday that the company wouldn’t be extending support for those same devices to Jelly Bean. A product manager in the UK posted up the information on Facebook, saying that the Arc S and Mini Pro would not be receiving updates to Jelly Bean. Now Sony has taken to the official Xperia blog, saying that the information is incorrect.

Sony posted the following on the Xperia blog: “We are actively investigating Android OS upgrades for all devices, but in the meantime, our Ice Cream Sandwich rollout for Xperia S and 2011 Xperia smartphones continues as planned.” It might not be a definitive confirmation that Jelly Bean will be coming to past Sony handsets, but at least it’s a stay of execution for the Arc S and Mini Pro in the meantime.

Read more...


Posted by jplacson
One can hope! Thanks for the news! I'll repost!

Posted by Dups!
They should provide an upgrade, it would do them a whole lot of good. People will always think Sony does support their phones software-wise and non-Sony fans will always view them in a positive light and spend on their phones.



Posted by mediar
Well, I hope they bring the Walkman and Album Apps with the JB update. I know they won't do that, but I don't want to kill the little sparkle of hope just yet.

Posted by goldenface
I'm not expecting it for the XPlay but it would be good for them if they did update the rest of the 2011 Xperias. Kudos to them if they manage to have them updated.

Posted by PowerLee
The Arc S can't even run ICS without problems with software lock ups & software crashes so I doubt Jellybean will be any better.

Arc S just isnt powerful enough or have enough memory to run ICS correctly, Sony didnt really test the ICS software before release so i've no idea why they should even bother thinking about Jellybean for the older handsets.

Sony should stop worrying about trying to update older handset software & just make sure the current software release for them is rock solid stable.

ICS update was a total joke & no official way to downgrade back to Gingerbread either

Posted by mediar

On 2012-08-01 17:33:47, PowerLee wrote:
The Arc S can't even run ICS without problems with software lock ups & software crashes so I doubt Jellybean will be any better.

Arc S just isnt powerful enough or have enough memory to run ICS correctly, Sony didnt really test the ICS software before release so i've no idea why they should even bother thinking about Jellybean for the older handsets.

Sony should stop worrying about trying to update older handset software & just make sure the current software release for them is rock solid stable.

ICS update was a total joke & no official way to downgrade back to Gingerbread either


Well, I agree that Sony's ICS was one big joke, except for the fact that Arc S isn't powerful enough in order to run ICS smoothly. It is actually, and the amount of custom ICS roms, running without a hitch proves that. It's just Sony's inability to release at least one stable firmware. Every single custom rom out there, even in their most early stages, are miles ahead in terms of stability, compared to Sony's buggy crap.

Posted by PowerLee
I installed ICS on my Arc S when Sony first released it for my handset & even tried a repair install after 6 weeks but its just buggy as hell, the handset isnt powerfull enough to run it.

Gingerbread runs perfectly on it, doesnt lock up, doesnt freeze or crash & its much faster then ICS.

Arc / Arc S is a good handset BUT the limited hardware isnt up to the job of running newer Android software without problems.

Posted by mediar

On 2012-08-01 21:05:06, PowerLee wrote:
I installed ICS on my Arc S when Sony first released it for my handset & even tried a repair install after 6 weeks but its just buggy as hell, the handset isnt powerfull enough to run it.

Gingerbread runs perfectly on it, doesnt lock up, doesnt freeze or crash & its much faster then ICS.

Arc / Arc S is a good handset BUT the limited hardware isnt up to the job of running newer Android software without problems.


I repeat - it's Sony's official ICS crap you're talking about. Look - they made their official ICS update slow and buggy on purpose, in order to make you think your 2011 Xperia handset is not powerful enough and indirectly force you to buy newer phone. It's called "Marketing Strategy". Haven't you ever asked yourself how can Sony's ICS be so buggy when the vanilla Android is so polished ( experience with Nexus S & Galaxy Nexus )? And how can ICS run smoothly on low-end HTC Desire C & Xperia Tipo with weaker hardware, but can't run properly on 2011 flagship? It's just Sony's stupid logic! The JB update won't be any better. Instead, why don't you take a look here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=965 ? You won't be disappointed, trust me!
[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2012-08-01 21:06 ]


Posted by djin
That's good news. After the ics downgrade, jb hopefully should be an actual update from Sonys gingerbread.. each phone that has got ics downgrade should imo get jb. Would improve view of Sony mobile and also customers satisfaction. They were the ones who still bought 2011 xperias even if it was under powered in some cases while paying a premium. They deserve this.

@powerlee

Google project butter and speed differences b/w ics and jb. Every single xperia sold last year should benefit greatly by jb and ics in general was not as bad as Sonys ics.

Posted by jplacson
I've had fewer issues with my Xperia ray on ICS than I did on GB.

Posted by PowerLee

On 2012-08-01 22:04:00, mediar wrote:

On 2012-08-01 21:05:06, PowerLee wrote:
I installed ICS on my Arc S when Sony first released it for my handset & even tried a repair install after 6 weeks but its just buggy as hell, the handset isnt powerfull enough to run it.

Gingerbread runs perfectly on it, doesnt lock up, doesnt freeze or crash & its much faster then ICS.

Arc / Arc S is a good handset BUT the limited hardware isnt up to the job of running newer Android software without problems.


I repeat - it's Sony's official ICS crap you're talking about. Look - they made their official ICS update slow and buggy on purpose, in order to make you think your 2011 Xperia handset is not powerful enough and indirectly force you to buy newer phone. It's called "Marketing Strategy". Haven't you ever asked yourself how can Sony's ICS be so buggy when the vanilla Android is so polished ( experience with Nexus S & Galaxy Nexus )? And how can ICS run smoothly on low-end HTC Desire C & Xperia Tipo with weaker hardware, but can't run properly on 2011 flagship? It's just Sony's stupid logic! The JB update won't be any better. Instead, why don't you take a look here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=965 ? You won't be disappointed, trust me!
[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2012-08-01 21:06 ]



If Sony are stupid enough to do silly things like that then I wont ever buy another Sony handset or any other Sony product in the future, there loss is another companys gain.

I was looking to buy a new tv set, ill scrub Sony products of the list.

Posted by chunkybeats
@powerlee

I just got myself a new TV, got myself a Sony LCD 32" and its bloody good! I also have a Samung 42" for lounge but its a bit fiddly with USB and has rather slow menus, Sony's menus are much quicker and responsive. Dont rule them out for TV's and whatever you do dont get an LG they are the worst TV's. I used to have a 42" plasma and stupid thing started cracking (yes the screen cracked). Down to poor build quality and ask for a refund so got the Samsung instead and was a higher model so all good!

Good luck, I love TV shopping!


Click to view updated thread with images


© Esato.com - From the Esato mobile phone discussion forum