Welcome to Esato.com



News Articles:

Related

Technical details:
• Sony Xperia A
• Sony Xperia Acro S
• Sony Xperia Advance
• Sony Xperia C
• Sony Xperia E
• Sony Xperia E Dual
• Sony Xperia E1
• Sony Xperia E1 Dual
• Sony Xperia Ion LT28at
• Sony Xperia J
• Sony Xperia L
• Sony Xperia M2
• Sony Xperia Miro
• Sony Xperia Neo L
• Sony Xperia P
• Sony Xperia S
• Sony Xperia SL
• Sony Xperia Sola
• Sony Xperia SP
• Sony Xperia SX
• Sony Xperia T
• Sony Xperia T2 Ultra
• Sony Xperia Tipo
• Sony Xperia Tipo Dual
• Sony Xperia TL
• Sony Xperia TX
• Sony Xperia U
• Sony Xperia V
• Sony Xperia VL
• Sony Xperia X Performance
• Sony Xperia Z
• Sony Xperia Z Ultra
• Sony Xperia Z1
• Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
• Sony Xperia Z2
• Sony Xperia Z3
• Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
• Sony Xperia ZL
• Sony Xperia ZQ
• Sony Xperia ZR
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Active
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Pureness
• Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray
• Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
• Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
• Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro
• Sony Ericsson Xperia X2
• Sony Ericsson Xperia X8

From the forum:

Confirmed ICS release dates for Sony Xperia 2011 models - and why you do not want to update


Click to view updated thread with images




Posted by laffen
Sony Mobile has now set the release date for Android 4.0 for its Xperia smartphones. Xperia Arc S, Xperia Neo V and Xperia Ray will get the update in mid-April. Other Xperia handsets will get the update in end of May

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich soon ready for Sony Ericsson Xperia models

Esato News




Posted by idumbakumar
bit disappointing... anyway i ordered xperia S. but keeping my ARC. lets see how its going to be the ICS.

Posted by Shino03
I don't mind if my android shuts down hidden apps but if the homescreen application and music player shut down that's an entirely different story.

Posted by 3_nity
confused..... gingerbread or ice cream sandwich...

Posted by Bonovox
This is pants. Android OS is getting worse imo. What's going to happen on Android in future budget models with less ram?? Google are going to have to do what Microsoft done. Have certain restrictions on budget models to have a standard spec for it to run ICS and it's OS. Otherwise budget models will not run properly with lower ram

_________________
Material things don't matter,but Rock n Roll does!!!!

HTC Evo 3D
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-03-31 10:07 ]


Posted by daviep
updated both my galaxy s and s2.galaxy s only has gingerbread 2.3.6 with ics "value pack" due to being unable to run full ICS.now has updated icons,camera improvements,face unlock.
maybe the older xperias will get similar updates.

Posted by djin
I think sony should then update their 2011 models to jellybean, i think that will solve this problem. But /sony has habit of releasing phones with lower ram, why 512mb ram in 2011 when htc desire had more in 2010? Even their 2012 models have 512mb ram(U&Sola).

Posted by rickster2kuk
Maybe Android needs to take a leaf out of Apple's and MS's book, make the OS more streamlined and efficient, bit like MS did with Win 7, so I can run on most phones.

Posted by Tsepz_GP
What Google need to do is work with the OEMs, when they begin the next version they must with them from day one.

Posted by Mizzle
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]


Posted by Tsepz_GP
+1 Mizzle.
A great example of a 512mb RAM phone running Android4.0 ICS beautifuly is the Google Nexus S which recently got the Android4.0.4 update. ICS isnt just built with thdm Galaxy Nexus in mind its built with the Nexus S in mind, with its 1GHz single core CPU and 512mb RAM.
Seems Sony are taking the easy way out here by 'passing the buck', im worried for the 2011 Xperia owners, does it mean after they get 4.0.3 Sony will drop without fixing bugs like they did to the X10 after updating it to 2.3.3.

Posted by TeknoBoi90
in that case they could launch another Gingerbread update (e.g. 2.3.7 la Xperia NXT) with improved stability, refined system and all the minor bugs solved, at least one can decide to remain with GB but having the ultimate version... I think that it can't be that difficult

Posted by Bonovox

On 2012-03-31 19:35:28, Tsepz_GP wrote:
+1 Mizzle.
A great example of a 512mb RAM phone running Android4.0 ICS beautifuly is the Google Nexus S which recently got the Android4.0.4 update. ICS isnt just built with thdm Galaxy Nexus in mind its built with the Nexus S in mind, with its 1GHz single core CPU and 512mb RAM.
Seems Sony are taking the easy way out here by 'passing the buck', im worried for the 2011 Xperia owners, does it mean after they get 4.0.3 Sony will drop without fixing bugs like they did to the X10 after updating it to 2.3.3.



Yes,the Nexus S although buggy alot was very very smooth!!

Posted by mustafabay
So they make this claim about RAM and the only phones not with 512MB are the P,S and Ion.If the experience is that comprimized then why not at least give the new mid range phones 768MB if you want to differentiate with high end getting 1GB?

Posted by worf1000

On 2012-03-31 19:03:00, Mizzle wrote:
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]



That's your opinion. I like what Sony is doing.
All that fuss about a delay, what are you doing all those day playing phones?
Sony phones are the most balances from all android handset, so play with your Samsung and be happy with it

It's pretty ridiculous you blame Sony.

Posted by iksplusipsilon
When I read this, whole P990i saga flashed before my eyes again! Old habits die hard it seems...

@worf1000: Please, leave fanboy flaming for other sites, thnx!
[ This Message was edited by: theos on 2012-04-01 05:18 ]


Posted by Mizzle

On 2012-04-01 01:06:20, worf1000 wrote:

On 2012-03-31 19:03:00, Mizzle wrote:
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]



That's your opinion. I like what Sony is doing.
All that fuss about a delay, what are you doing all those day playing phones?
Sony phones are the most balances from all android handset, so play with your Samsung and be happy with it

It's pretty ridiculous you blame Sony.


You're right. It is my opinion. And it's the right opinion.

ICS does work on devices with mediocre hardware (read: Sony phones), but all of Sony's customizations are making it a lot more heavy on resources and that's simply not necessary. Also, please cut the crap regarding "playing with my Samsung". I had an Xperia S before you could even get your hands on one.

Posted by Shino03
I think this will all depend on the user. I think this Ice cream update will be fine for the non-extensive users. I mean, I only use a few widgets on my Galaxy ace and I also don't use any live wallpaper any more and my galaxy runs smoothly because of that. I also often close any running applications on the background which prevents lag on my phone.

I don't need all of these widgets..

[ This Message was edited by: Shino03 on 2012-04-01 07:25 ]


Posted by etaab
This is why Sony will never compete with Samsung and HTC and will always be behind the times. Its a reminder of how it was with SE and now Sony alone are continuing the trend.

If i were a 2011 handset owner, i'd go down the other route of getting my own custom version of ICS from teams like Cyanogenmod when they get around to Android 4.

Posted by chunkybeats
im a neo v user and gingerbread is awesome but hearing this worries me. I think I will see how it goes with others if it's not good then im enjoying my phone because what I have noticed is ALL OEMs put bloatware on their roms. which on turn use up previous memory. If I root then surely ICS will run heaps smoother. As for the nexus s comment it's running touchwiz which in all the OEMs. is the hungriest for RAM usage! For me it's a wait and see approach.

Posted by Bonovox
I have an Arc S and even that in GB is slow at times. It's a great handset but still can slow down a bit even with not much running. This is cos I guess when I look qt running services there is too much crap running. I have to kill some of it to free up ram but later in it automatically starts up again. Stupid bloatware. Using a vanilla Android version is best imo. I have seen how smooth Nexus S is. HTC use alot of layers on its devices but their phones are not slow.

Posted by Indiandawg
Features used correctly can greatly make a difference using a phone. I don't believe in shutting down all the widgets and live wallpapers and etc just so that my phone runs a little faster and give up on all features that phone has to offer. If that was the case, I would buy simple Nokia phone!

Posted by darrenj1
My homescreen shuts down as it stands now, when I use some apps such as dolphin browser, or games.

My question is, if I delete some of my apps and create more space, will that allocate more working RAM and therefore increase performance?

Posted by lolstebbo

On 2012-04-01 10:19:31, etaab wrote:
This is why Sony will never compete with Samsung and HTC and will always be behind the times. Its a reminder of how it was with SE and now Sony alone are continuing the trend.


I disagree. If you look at HTC's and Samsung's lists of phones that will be getting ICS, it's all their higher-end phones; on Samsung's end, I believe none of them are S2-based, whereas HTC's only upgrading three of their S2-based phones. Their unwillingness to update their S1 phones to ICS is indicative of either their unwillingness to spend the resources or the realities of ICS's performance (the reference phone itself is dual-core to begin with). Even though Sony's rollout may finish later than HTC's and Samsung's, at least people that bought their low-ends phones will still get the option of installing ICS, and at least they still provided constant updates on the development/certification process (I'd venture to guess that their biggest holdup is certification since they might be trying to get all phones certified for all regions simultaneously as opposed to the staggered roll-out HTC and Samsung are adopting).

Posted by adsada

On 2012-04-01 07:56:07, Mizzle wrote:

On 2012-04-01 01:06:20, worf1000 wrote:

On 2012-03-31 19:03:00, Mizzle wrote:
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]



That's your opinion. I like what Sony is doing.
All that fuss about a delay, what are you doing all those day playing phones?
Sony phones are the most balances from all android handset, so play with your Samsung and be happy with it

It's pretty ridiculous you blame Sony.


You're right. It is my opinion. And it's the right opinion.

ICS does work on devices with mediocre hardware (read: Sony phones), but all of Sony's customizations are making it a lot more heavy on resources and that's simply not necessary. Also, please cut the crap regarding "playing with my Samsung". I had an Xperia S before you could even get your hands on one.



sony's customizations, are by far the lightest of any other main manufacturer. You cannot blame a phone manufacturer to want to make their Android experience unique to others. And to respond to your previous post, pretty sure the Xperia S had 1gb of RAM and although it is using an outdated processor (to say by several years is a far exaggeration btw) but other then that I see no outdated hardware, 12MP camera, HD screen and a whole new design...
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2012-04-02 17:20 ]


Posted by Mizzle

On 2012-04-02 18:18:52, adsada wrote:

On 2012-04-01 07:56:07, Mizzle wrote:

On 2012-04-01 01:06:20, worf1000 wrote:

On 2012-03-31 19:03:00, Mizzle wrote:
Sorry to say this, but it's utter BS.

Yes, Android does close activities and services when it's running low on memory. It's always done that, so it's nothing new compared to what you're already using.

Having said that ICS is not the reason why you don't want to upgrade. Sony's customizations, on the other hand, are. A vanilla version of ICS runs beautifully on a phone like the Xperia S, despite its 512 MB RAM limit. ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sony should just stop working on customizing the OS, and use it in all of its beauty.

Also - it's pretty ridiculous that Sony is blaming Google for bad performance when they're using several years old hardware.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2012-03-31 18:07 ]



That's your opinion. I like what Sony is doing.
All that fuss about a delay, what are you doing all those day playing phones?
Sony phones are the most balances from all android handset, so play with your Samsung and be happy with it

It's pretty ridiculous you blame Sony.


You're right. It is my opinion. And it's the right opinion.

ICS does work on devices with mediocre hardware (read: Sony phones), but all of Sony's customizations are making it a lot more heavy on resources and that's simply not necessary. Also, please cut the crap regarding "playing with my Samsung". I had an Xperia S before you could even get your hands on one.



sony's customizations, are by far the lightest of any other main manufacturer. You cannot blame a phone manufacturer to want to make their Android experience unique to others. And to respond to your previous post, pretty sure the Xperia S had 1gb of RAM and although it is using an outdated processor (to say by several years is a far exaggeration btw) but other then that I see no outdated hardware, 12MP camera, HD screen and a whole new design...
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2012-04-02 17:20 ]



Who cares if their customizations are the lightest? They're incredibly memory heavy, and yes I can blame them for using memory heavy customizations when their phones have very little memory to begin with. And yes, the Xperia S has a gig of RAM, but that doesn't help any of the previous models that are left with 512 MB.


Posted by laffen
Updated article with comments from Sony Mobile. Thanks bono
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2012-04-03 01:04 ]


Posted by 3_nity

On 2012-04-03 02:04:11, laffen wrote:
Updated article with comments from Sony Mobile. Thanks bono
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2012-04-03 01:04 ]


Awesome, Sony!

@laffen: thx for share a link.

Posted by Bonovox
So I wonder will this stop the silly restarting of apps?? Whenever I kill some apps in running services an hour later they are running again.

Posted by Tsepz_GP

On 2012-04-01 10:19:31, etaab wrote:
This is why Sony will never compete with Samsung and HTC and will always be behind the times. Its a reminder of how it was with SE and now Sony alone are continuing the trend.

If i were a 2011 handset owner, i'd go down the other route of getting my own custom version of ICS from teams like Cyanogenmod when they get around to Android 4.


+1
Even the Xperia X10 had just 384mb RAM whilest the Galaxy S had 512mb and Desire had 576mb, SE/Sony like to cut corners and in the long term it hurts them, thats why i moved to Samsung, since the X10 scenario i remember a part of me wishing i had waited for the Galaxy S which even today proves to be an excellent smartphone despite no ICS its the only early 2010 Android getting updates now and its GPU makes mince meat of what the 2011 SE's have, thats what i like about Samsung, they are always thinking way ahead, best believe the Galaxy S i9000 will probably be one of the 1st to get CM9 final release


Bono
I dont understand why exactly SE are doing that, in Android4.0 ICS when you go to Settings -Developer Options, there is an option already built-in to limit the amount of background processes.





Posted by 3_nity

On 2012-04-03 14:43:59, Tsepz_GP wrote:

Bono
I dont understand why exactly SE are doing that, in Android4.0 ICS when you go to Settings -Developer Options, there is an option already built-in to limit the amount of background processes.


Performance Assistant (at start up), man....
[ This Message was edited by: 3_nity on 2012-04-04 05:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2012-04-04 09:10 ]


Posted by rickster2kuk
It's not just Sony, looks like Samsung dropped a clanger with this one:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/[....]-unlocked-galax/#disqus_thread

Posted by 3_nity
Actualy, ICS is very smoothly UI, If...... our hardware is up to date. Particularly RAM & GPU.

Posted by djin
Guys check out htc one V, it has same 1 ghz cpu and same ram, yet runs ics plus sense 4.0 lag free and beautifully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]lGxJTI&feature=player_embedded

Although i am not an user, i think you guys need to push sony for the proper and actual update for all and not just thru the un notified via pc update. If htc can make sense 4.0 and ics run great on it, then so can sony!

Posted by lolstebbo

On 2012-04-06 23:07:19, djin wrote:
Guys check out htc one V, it has same 1 ghz cpu and same ram, yet runs ics plus sense 4.0 lag free and beautifully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]lGxJTI&feature=player_embedded

Although i am not an user, i think you guys need to push sony for the proper and actual update for all and not just thru the un notified via pc update. If htc can make sense 4.0 and ics run great on it, then so can sony!



Most electronics run lag-free and beautifully when fresh out of the box.

GSMArena also notes that some of the animations found in the One S and the One X are missing in the One V.
[ This Message was edited by: lolstebbo on 2012-04-06 23:24 ]


Posted by 3_nity
Still waiting for ICS update for my Ray.

Posted by djin
Ofcourse you cannot expect the whole sense 4.0 animations designed for 1gb ram to work with lower end one, instead of those they use stock ics ones such as the launch! I have used brand new arc, arc s, neo , neo v, and configured it for my friends, and non of them were lag free after a while(with minimal apps), and my htc desire 2 years old runs much much smooth with the same apps.

I am pointing out the mistake which sony/ are doing, and I want them to deliver the best, I will be getting an xperia soon enough as I really like x s.. but these things are making me doubt if I should buy it now!

This case reminds me of x10 and not getting gingerbread update, but thanks to the well informed ones, Including me, we kept asking and finally gave us the update, and everyone even the average people got benefited.

If they update for everyone and a good update, then all the better, if not, then most of us wont have anything to loose, but as a company, its still kind of cheating because your not even going to bother notifying if the update is even there, without knowing there is no choice, and the average people will think that buying a new phone would only be better when their barely a year old ones arent running good.

Posted by lolstebbo

On 2012-04-07 17:51:27, djin wrote:
Ofcourse you cannot expect the whole sense 4.0 animations designed for 1gb ram to work with lower end one, instead of those they use stock ics ones such as the launch! I have used brand new arc, arc s, neo , neo v, and configured it for my friends, and non of them were lag free after a while(with minimal apps), and my htc desire 2 years old runs much much smooth with the same apps.

I am pointing out the mistake which sony/ are doing, and I want them to deliver the best, I will be getting an xperia soon enough as I really like x s.. but these things are making me doubt if I should buy it now!

This case reminds me of x10 and not getting gingerbread update, but thanks to the well informed ones, Including me, we kept asking and finally gave us the update, and everyone even the average people got benefited.

If they update for everyone and a good update, then all the better, if not, then most of us wont have anything to loose, but as a company, its still kind of cheating because your not even going to bother notifying if the update is even there, without knowing there is no choice, and the average people will think that buying a new phone would only be better when their barely a year old ones arent running good.



How is this anything like the X10 case? Sony promised to update the 2011 Xperia models to ICS, and they're delivering on that; they're just also stating that the user experience may suffer due to changes in the OS.

For people that don't really use any apps, it won't present any issues. In my case, though, even Gingerbread is rather laggy. If I factory-reset my phone, then it would run lag-free. The situation could be even worse for me if I were running ICS.

Posted by 3_nity
Still waiting for...


Click to view updated thread with images


© Esato.com - From the Esato mobile phone discussion forum