Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > New to Esato? Please read this forum first > I just visited NewYork!

Previous  12
Author I just visited NewYork!
Deltayoda
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-22 07:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sprint PCS has the largest mobile network in the US, and there systems are all based on CDMA and TDMA. Not only are they larger, they are also expanding a great deal.

GSM is nothing compared to Sprint, and if GSM were to expand, they have Verizon and Nextel to try and topple over as well, which both have far larger networks than any GSM providers.

devis45
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-08-27 07:18
DeltaYoda I will have to dissagree with you. Sprint's coverage is worse than the GSM coverage. See, Sprint uses CDMA 1900 MHz, and that's it. Their customers cannot use analog, though their phones support it, Sprint's network doesn't allow it. And where they have no towers you roam either in the Verizon network or the Cingular network. As far as the biggest network in USA the gold goes to Verizon.

Someone mentioned here something about the bad GSM coverage in NYC. Having been there many times, using TDMA CDMA and GSM phones, I must say that CDMA has been exemplary there. However I have read a review a while ago about the T68 not working very well in NYC. My T28 worked fine there.

the GSM network in USA is slowly expanding. There are many little providers scattered around the US. Driving from Boston to Detroit something like 12-14 hours, I roamed in 3 different small GSM networks. Whereas from Boston to New Orleans, some 26 hour drive mainly in Central Time regions, the only networks were Cingular, ATT and VStream. Arcansas had quite crappy or no coverage, parts of Teneessee, Georgia and W Virginia were pretty much OK. In Texas I wasn't allowed to roam on the ATT network, dont know why...

Deltayoda
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-27 11:41
I'm sorry, according to the Sprint website, they have far more better coverage than Cingular, AT&T and Voicestream/T-Mobile.

Sprint PCS Coverage

Table

****From Sprint website****
Sprint has the largest digital voice and data footprint in the U.S. Starting in late 2001, Sprint will begin to deploy the first phase of 3G (1x).

By mid 2002, Sprint will offer 3G services across its entire network, including more U.S. cities than any other wireless carrier.

Informer
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-08-27 11:56
GSM is the absolute biggest standard.
Approx. 75% of all mobile phones sold (worldwide) are GSM.

GSM is a short for "Groupe Special de Mobil" (french), a special interest group that formed the GSM standard.

The world's first commercial mobile system network was built in Saudi Arabia by Ericsson in 1981. It was an anlogue system called NMT-450.

Deltayoda
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-27 12:27
That does not negate the fact that CDMA coverage is far better than GSM in the USA

It's true GSM coverage is larger worldwide, but CDMA coverage is also growing. Lets not forget that almost all of South and Central America almost has no GSM coverage.

http://www.cdg.org/world/cdma_world.asp

captainsm
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-08-27 16:05
I always thought GSM meant Global System for Mobilecommunications ?
devis45
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-08-27 21:35
Deltayoda deffinitively Sprint's going to promote its own service. I bet you Nextel will say on their site that they have the largest network in America.

Keyword here is PCS. PCS stands for Personal Communication System, it's just a cute way of saying that Sprint has the all digital network operating at 1900 MHz CDMA. And that's that. In fact, Sprint may very well have the largest 1900 MHz network because that's what they built. But all we are talking about is one company that uses only one band. Verizon's network works in 800 AMPS 800 CDMA and 1900 CDMA. Same with Cingular. ATT on the other hand uses the same frequencies but in TDMA. and they aswell have analog coverage. Nextel uses only digital and that's all 800 MHz iDEN, a variation of TDMA.

So, when Sprint says they have the largest network in USA they mean they have the largest 1900 MHz network. Whereas my Verizon phone has gotten me service in the most unthinkable of places. Mostly analog, but hey, I was able to contact whoever I needed to.
Informer
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-08-29 08:34
Quote:

On 2002-08-27 16:05, captainsm wrote:
I always thought GSM meant Global System for Mobilecommunications ?

That's actually also correct! From the very begining the three letters came from "Groupe Special de Mobil", then a few years later (probably when it became obvious that this was going to be big) it was decided that GSM also should be a short for "Global System for Mobilecommunications".

Now days, GSM is standard technical system, back then GSM was a group of people.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi