Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > New to Esato? Please read this forum first > I just visited NewYork!

12  Next
Author I just visited NewYork!
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-07 08:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello hello im now just back from NewYork in USA what a greath place!!! i really recomend it!
And now for the negative part abouth NewYork:
There GSM covverage suucks! duude it is newyork and people there are talking on walkitalkies!! hahaha I brought my T68I to NewYork and i dident see anyone there with a deccent phone i was the only one! And forexsample the subway dont got coverage!
I just think it is a bitt srtange thatt NewYork a verry big citty have such a bad coverage compaerd to OSLO! Oslo have coverage on the subway! And u coudent send picture with comunicam there
Butt i still loved thatt place best trip i evver had!
Here is a picture thatt i toock holding my comunicam outh of EmpireState buylding!

tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-08-08 13:29
Welcome back. Can't see the picture thoug...

[ This Message was edited by: tranquil on 2002-10-01 13:12 ]
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-08 13:44
Well. Generally, GSM coverage in US sucks. Or say, maybe the coverage is good, but calls drop and drop and drop. Capacity problems, blocking, whatever...
I'm not even talking about their TDMA. Ahahahahah. But they don't mind
Rolud
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-08-08 17:26
@Bjerkebanen
Don’t forget that in USA, GSM is only something like… 3 years old ! I don’t know how it was in Oslo 3 years after the launch of GSM, but I can assure you that in Switzerland, the coverage wasn’t better as it is in New York today !!

Anyway, in Europe it was a long time ago !!!

Rolud
captainsm
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-08-12 02:03
Well.. everybody knows americans are a bit backwards..
Yoonoo
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-12 03:14
Well, you can't compare the subways in NY and Oslo. If you put the NY subway rails together you could build a railroad stretching from new york to florida!...So making sure new york subway stations have GSM coverage is not an easy task because there's tons of them. It will take some time especially that GSM is a fairely new technology in the U.S.
jamba
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-08-12 19:00
Yoonoo is partly right. I agree that the subways in New York can stretch up to Florida. However, people should be aware of the fact that indeed, GSM is a new technology in the US.

It was introduced by Pacific Bell in the west coast sometime in 1996 or 1997. It was then called PCS (Personal Communication System) rather than GSM. While GSM is the standard here in the Philippines, Asia as a whole, and Europe, the US was still heavily into analog systems.

You really can't change this overnight. Just food for thought, it is only this year that my friend in San Francisco got an SMS capable phone.

The point is, in time, just like in Hongkong's MTR, the New York subways will likewise be flooded with cell sites. So be patient.
Mimzo
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-08-13 15:08
I love New York.
I do agree that GSM coverage there does suck quite considerably but that's okay because it's an amazing city - something's gotta be wrong with it - so maybe GSM coverage is that thing.

Best city on earth.
Cheers to any New Yorkers on this forum.
P990i
captainsm
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-08-14 04:31
NY is ok i guess....
Deltayoda
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-14 23:15
Motorola introduced GSM systems in 1994 in Southern California across the freeways. It cost $3000 per phone, and you could only use it in your car, but it worked

I agree that GSM coverage is LOUSY in the US, but I don't blame them. There are just so many legal problems right now with GSM's (Which is the reason I think they are building GSM networks at 1900MHZ).

On the other hand, CDMA is just leaping over GSM big time because of this. I've seen commercials of some CDMA providers with some pretty nice looking color phones that are suppose to come out in a few months.

I really hoped GSM systems improve in the US, but it's really doubtful with CDMA taking over.

nippit
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-08-18 08:25
Ok if you add all the subway it stretches from NY to Florida. And Ok it is underground and difficult.
But there is no continuous coverage from NY to Florida on the surface too. (I had drive all the way and up) it is all flat no obstacles but any coverage. And also no continuous coverage in NY surface or in the buldings.

I had to rent a Motorola (non GSM) (about half the size of brick which sucked too. I had to charge the bastard all the time. Still the calls dropped? No international callerID no sms etc etc. (this is like we had in the analog days)

Don’t blame size or the structure Trough out Europe on the mountain or on top of a sky scraper on the road you are covered more than 95% average with a service.
nippit
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-18 08:57
Well, if that's true, and CDMA is overtaking GSM in the USA... then that is sad. The US will continue to be in the stoneage when it comes to mobile telecom since they are the only ones using that technology.

When every other country is using and developing systems for GSM... handsets, services, terminals, etc... the US will be stuck with their CDMA crap which will offer nothing over GSM, will cost more, have no SIM card, will not allow users to use their handsets abroad, and will be years between new handset models. :s
Deltayoda
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-18 11:43
On the other hand, maybe the US wants to be advanced but different (Like Japan)? I really don't know. I do know they are implementing tracking devices on cell phones and be able to listen in to specific calls (Which is in a way, kind of a bad thing ). As I have showed on my other topic about Sprint PCS, those phones are pretty advanced to me (I have not seen a GSM phone quite like it), and I've just watched a Nextel commercial just now showing off there color phone with a stupid walkietalkie.

I personally prefer GSM just because of the simplicity, ease of use and almost world wide availability, but CDMA is in essence more advanced but difficult with the service because there is no SIM card. I truly want a worldwide phone, but I don't see that happening with these guys going one way, the other guys going another way, even though we have the capability of putting up a full nation wide GSM coverage...

Oh by the way, lets not forget that most GSM systems and GSM phones are also built quite a lot in the US, and exported around the world (Texas Instruments comes to mind).
sebtek
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-19 14:38
hello

GSM has been in australia for ages, and only recently have they been building a CDMA network. CDMA has a far larger range, and therefore its needed in Australia's rural areas.

I actually own 2 phones, one CDMA, one GSM, and i find the CDMA gets far better reception anywhere.

Unlike what you've been saying, i've heard that the US is converting back to GSM, and GSM is expaning majorly.

You might have noticed, but only recently companies such as nokia any sony/ericsson are make tri band phones.

Vodafone, i think, owns, or owns a major chunk of one of the major US telcos, and for international roaming reasons, they are converting to GSM. Im not sure if thats just gosip.

You need to remember some of the mjor markets of mobiles dont use GSM, such as japan, US, canada, chili.

Anyway - hope my info helps

thanks
Seb (newbie!)
agdam
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-19 15:13
Bjerkebanen- still looking forward to check out your pic as mentioned. Just curious abt the pic quality. I'm considering getting the MCA-20 (or 25?)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi