Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > truly WIRELESS internet service in india

Previous  123  Next
Author truly WIRELESS internet service in india
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 15:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
on gprs u should get marginally greater speed than a dial up connection,5~7kbps.soitllbe slower than reliance,edge is quicker than relaince.
wimax has only launched in india by dishnet on 8 cities ,but they plan to increase it by the end of this year,with wi-max u have options from 256kbps to T1 or more,after 1 to 2 years,i think wimax will start to cover semi-urban to rural areas as well,so u can virtually replace ur edge or gprs by that time,with some exception,where u could possibly use gprs/edge.Wimax is at nascent stage,only dishnet has came forward with it atm,but giants like reliance,tata etc have pledged that they will come with thier services soon,so i think it has a better future.but itll take some time.
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 15:23
"on gprs u should get marginally greater speed than a dial up connection,5~7kbps.soitllbe slower than reliance,edge is quicker than relaince."

Dear shyam335,

I think u r referring to 5-7 K bps and not 5 -7 k bps. I mean capital K and not small k which would mean 40-56 k bps almost very similar to a dial up.

This is just my guess plz correct me if i am wrong.

In this case Edge is option but do u have any direct experience of what internet speed u get with airtel internet with EDGE handset...i mean in terms of kbps...so that i can decide whether to surrender my reliance or not...

as far as wimax is there i have to wait it seems plz point to indian resource on wimax also if u know any website

[ This Message was edited by: sincereheart on 2005-04-30 14:26 ]
k4m!k4ze
W710 Violet
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 20:00
@sincere - man , whether you opt for Airtel or not, Airtel's gprs is waay better than reliance's 115kbps connection ! i know cause i've used Reliance's internet connnection and i can assure you that if you go for Airtel, whether it be Airtel's gprs or Airtel's EDGE service, its definitely faster AND cheaper than Reliance's piece of crap service !

AND wimax is not implemented in all cities so you cant access the internet wherever you go in india, Even if Airtel havent implemented their EDGE service in all cities, you can still use their basic gprs service !

And this is the link for sonyericsson's EDGE PC cards -

http://www.sonyericsson.com/s[....]00&template=pp5&zone=pp&lm=pp5

[ This Message was edited by: k4m!k4ze on 2005-04-30 19:04 ]
c_vignesh
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-01 14:07
Hi Guys ! On the topic of GPRS and SE phones .. I have seen my SE phones (T200,T630,K508) not able to receive calls when I am connected to the net via PC (either thru cable or BT) ..is this SE phone problem or every mobile is like that ..pls help me out ?
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-05-01 17:41
Hi k4m!k4ze

"And this is the link for sonyericsson's EDGE PC cards -

http://www.sonyericsson.com/s[....]00&template=pp5&zone=pp&lm=pp5 "

Thank u friend very very much...

but just asking has anyone used edge pc cards of SE with airtel or anything like that...i mean any personal experiences...

" @sincere - man , whether you opt for Airtel or not, Airtel's gprs is waay better than reliance's 115kbps connection ! i know cause i've used Reliance's internet connnection and i can assure you that if you go for Airtel, whether it be Airtel's gprs or Airtel's EDGE service,
its definitely faster AND cheaper than Reliance's piece of crap service ! "

I am taking what u say at face value and dumping reliance and taking airtel...thanks

shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-05-01 18:04
Right now,best way for u is edge(and gprs as backup),later u can go for wimax,oh and for wimax info goto tataindiacom.com and search dishnet,or use google
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-05-01 18:52
hi shyam335

"Right now,best way for u is edge(and gprs as backup),"

agreed 100% just need to determine which hadset is best for EDGE and affordable offering max speed

"later u can go for wimax,oh and for wimax info goto tataindiacom.com and search dishnet,or use google "

tried both found lot of links but not anything particular thanks plz reply
mrao
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-05-01 19:07
@sincere....i would sincerely vouch for Airtel gprs too..way better than Reliance
t610 > k700i > p800 > p900 > p910 > k750i > I-mate Jam > Blokia 6681 > HTC Prophet > HTC Wizard & Nokia N73 > E71 > BB 9000 > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II & the Motorola Xoom
<br />
Still Shiny but not so n
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-05-01 19:15
i suggest u 6230 (or 6230i) ,or if u are willing to put more money,get some series 60's like 6681 or something.

as of wimax,here's dishnet's site , i think u have to contact them for enquiring its availblility and stuff.

mrao
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-05-01 19:22
get the 6630...its one of the best nokia s60 around...if you can stand the shape
t610 > k700i > p800 > p900 > p910 > k750i > I-mate Jam > Blokia 6681 > HTC Prophet > HTC Wizard & Nokia N73 > E71 > BB 9000 > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II & the Motorola Xoom
<br />
Still Shiny but not so n
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-05-02 00:40
hey buddy thanks for that dishnet link...i surfed and googled so much but was unable to find their address...it seems the technology is still eveolving....i mean wifi and wimax...

as of now everyone prefers airtel gprs and i am going for it...

also what about taking connection from hutch instead of airtel...any better performance...

as always thanks guys for ur support, advice and help
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-05-02 00:43
and yes i am still to decide which set to purchase as there is no single set which everyone votes but quite a few of them...have to take time to select...one more thing i never knew that at times indians like u are so tach savvy and participate so actively in thread...it was beyond my expectation...now i feel a bit proud being an Indian...thanks
shivam007
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-06-10 09:05
Wish the 3g revolution soon takes off in india too..

This message was posted from a Nokia

blue_earth
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-06-10 18:57
Quote:

On 2005-04-30 14:43:14, sincereheart wrote:
"well here's a relatively new solution... since u have a laptop, u can purchase EDGE enabled PC cards.....

The concept is awesome but i have searched http://www.sonyericsson.com and also their indian site but unable to find any edge enabled pc cards...plz point to the right direction...

I quite agree with @sincereheart... edge enabled pc cards are really the best option while ur on the move... they can make u truly mobile...
I believe Hutch provides edge enabled data cards for Rs. 8000/- and has various tariff plans for the same... please have a look at http://www.hutch.in

Tata Indicom (not GSM therefore no EDGE) as well as Airtel provide similar service...
macboy
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-06-11 00:09
Move to Pune. Major parts of the city Wifi'd with 2MBPS lines. PMC is hoping to cover the whole city including Pimpri/Chinchwad in the coming months
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi