123  Next
Author truly WIRELESS internet service in india
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-29 22:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
truly WIRELESS internet service in india

Hi all people here...i had a look at many posts here but was unable to actually figure out what exactly suited me...so i thought why not put my exact requirements here so that people who know more than me here can give a more appropriate solution:

A little background:

I have a laptop and i have to travel very frequently all over India...this is because of my recent job requirement...

I have been exploring ways in which i can connect to internet "wirelessly" while say i am in train or my hotel room in any city in india...

Out of all the options available now...reliance only seems to be the option where true "wireless" internet is possible...

But the speed is a killer in the sense that at times its pathetic far below 115kbps they claim...

From reading all the posts here in this forum it appears bsnl is the best choice for broadband at higher speeds...(but it is not wireless i think)

QUESTION: However, i was just wondering whether it was possible to actually use internet wirelessly at higher speeds (as fast as possible and available in india) when i travel or am not in delhi but say in mumbai or some other city...or while on train...

Apart from reliance which i know does offer true wireless internet...is there any service provider which offers wireless internet but at high speeds (unlike reliance whose speed is pathetic at times)....

thank u for ur valuable time and consideration...

hope someone will be able to point me in right direction...as of now reliance seems to be the only option...

sincere heart
(delhi but keeps travelling all over india, sincereheart@rediffmail.com)
PM
Posted: 2005-04-29 22:04
yeah Airtel would be your best choice,
if you have a normal gprs enable mobile which can be used as a modem, you can achieve speeds equalling reliance's,

but if you have an EDGE enabled mobile phone, you can get broadband speeds using Airtel's EDGE service

[ This Message was edited by: k4m!k4ze on 2005-04-29 21:05 ]
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 13:04
Hi k4m!k4ze,

"if you have a normal gprs enable mobile which can be used as a modem, you can achieve speeds equalling reliance's,"

I am really surprised because if thats truly practically feasible (the speed factor i mean which u say is almost quite comparable to reliance in terms of kbps) then why i am paying rs 1500 per month for reliance internet because as far as i know airtel gprs is only Rs 99 per month.

"but if you have an EDGE enabled mobile phone, you can get broadband speeds using Airtel's EDGE service"

This is simply unbelievable.

I would now urge you to specifically please please say me that what is the cost of a EDGE enabled mobile phone in India and which one would be the best in India to get maximum speed.

This way even though I have to purchase the handset which is EDGE enabled but i have to purchase ONCE only and airtel rs 99 per month unlimited internet is too cheap. This way atleast i will be able to save rs 1500 PER MONTH on reliance.

Please say which handset to purchase in india and also did u had a direct experience of having broadband speed (which according to TRAI definition is atleast 256kbps) on EDGE enabled mobile phone with airtel connection or did u heard it from someone else.

This is because i want to be sure that before investing in a costly handset and disconnecting reliance, I am atleast sure of getting a decent speed.

I know i have asked too many questions my friend but then u r my best hope now and i look forward to ur replies very eagerly and anxiously.

Thank u very very much man...

sincereheart@rediffmail.com
k4m!k4ze
W710 Violet
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 13:25
Airtel's Rs 99 Gprs plan is for browsing wap pages only For unlimited internet including being able to use the phone as a modem you need Airtel's Web gprs plan whose prices varies from state to state from Rs600 to Rs150.

A cheap EDGE enabled mobile is the Nokia 3220

As for the speed, it isnt exactly broadband , but its faster than reliance's speed and i havent experienced it first hand but u can try asking in the SE India thread, somebody might have used it there (i think user vineet has used it ) -

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=78434
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of your attempt !!
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 13:43
"A cheap EDGE enabled mobile is the Nokia 3220"

Please also say that is it possible to have more speed with a better Nokia phone which may be more costly than Nokia 3220???

"As for the speed, it isnt exactly broadband , but its faster than reliance's speed and i havent xperienced it first hand but u can try asking in the SE India thread, somebody might have used it there (i think user vineet has used it )"

Sure i will do that...

thanks man again plz reply to first query...

thanks a lot really thanks
k4m!k4ze
W710 Violet
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 13:49
yeah there are other nokia mobiles which are EDGE enabled, some of them - 3230, 7710 , 6230, 6630. Their cost wont affect the speed, it will always be the same for all EDGE enabled mobiles

[ This Message was edited by: k4m!k4ze on 2005-04-30 12:50 ]
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:15
"Their cost wont affect the speed, it will always be the same for all EDGE enabled mobiles."

This is really surprising but then i must accept ur authority as i am a toal idiot in this field....
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:27
well here's a relatively new solution... since u have a laptop, u can purchase EDGE enabled PC cards... check out www.sonyericsson.com... acc to the site, these cards r available in india.. once u have purchased the card, u'd have to call a service provider (airtel/hutch,etc) and subscribe to EDGE... that way your laptop is constantly connected to wireless internet at broadband speeds.. EDGE cards eliminate the requirement of an edge enabled phone and r for travelling businessmen who require constant connectivity... check the SE site for more info..and you'll need to confirm with the service provider whether they provide such a service in india yet.. cause i'm not too sure..
Sony all the way
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:33
Quote:

On 2005-04-30 14:15:07, sincereheart wrote:
"Their cost wont affect the speed, it will always be the same for all EDGE enabled mobiles."

This is really surprising but then i must accept ur authority as i am a toal idiot in this field....

this isnt exactly true,generally 3 series offer much less max speed than other series(6 series),as far as i know 3230 has a max d/l rate of 118(or 180 not sure),whereas 6230 has 238kbps or something speed.i think edge is the best option for u,since u use it in rural areas,otherwise i would have recommened u wimax(since dishnet launched it few cities).
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:42
Also, keep in mind that Edge hasn't been fully implemented all over india. In some areas there is basic gprs coverage only.
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:43
"well here's a relatively new solution... since u have a laptop, u can purchase EDGE enabled PC cards... check out www.sonyericsson.com... acc to the site, these cards r available in india.. once u have purchased the card, u'd have to call a service provider (airtel/hutch,etc) and subscribe to EDGE... that way your laptop is constantly connected to wireless internet at broadband speeds.. EDGE cards eliminate the requirement of an edge enabled phone and r for travelling businessmen who require constant connectivity... check the SE site for more info..and you'll need to confirm with the service provider whether they provide such a service in india yet.. cause i'm not too sure.. "

The concept is awesome but i have searched www.sonyericsson.com and also their indian site but unable to find any edge enabled pc cards...plz point to the right direction...
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:46
the concept of wimax is also interesting...can u indicate some site in Indian context on it...

also i am still not sure that after taking EDGE enabled handset will i have high internet speed access say 256 kbps or somewhere little more or little less...using airtel connection..........

plz has anyone used airtel connection with a EDGE enabled handset connected to a PC in India for accessing internet....what speed has been obtained...plz reply...vineet where r u...
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:51
"Also, keep in mind that Edge hasn't been fully implemented all over india. In some areas there is basic gprs coverage only. "

can anyone say what speed is obtained in airtel connection when using gprs enabled handset cpnnected to a pc...is it more or less than reliance...plz say in kbps terms...
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:53
@sincereheart... currently i'm on wap, so don't really know the exact address.. but i'm certain its on SE site.. under 'PC cards' or something... or else google it for the time being..cause a dedicated EDGE pc card would definitely cost less than an edge phone..
Sony all the way
sincereheart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-30 14:55
Hi Oogamous

ya i am searching and trying my best...thanks for ur continued support...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi