Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > P800 release date in the UK

Previous  123  Next
Author P800 release date in the UK
Fingers
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 10:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I can't understand why would wait so long to release the P800. I can understand they may be adding new features but it just seems strange to make people wait so long for something that has been seen in it's working state such a long time ago.
jess_strawberry
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 11:02
Quote:

On 2002-07-24 10:47, woaow wrote:
Faca :What about a 3G phone if you don't have a network nor applications ???? I cannot believe you really think that.
Are U paid by Nokia to try to explain us that a shit now is good for us ??? When we can wait 2-3 months to get a jewel ??

I'm afraid it'll not work that good...

BTW, I had both a 7650 and a P800 in hands a few days ago. You just cannot compare them !! Size when flip opened, hand taking, size of the screen, brightness of the screen, touchscreen... The list is too long...

The P800's really, really a nice phone... The MP3 player is f?ckn good, so are the camera, the screen and the user interface of the phone.

It's worth waiting for it till october, believe me...

It seems like you are holding both phones. So why don't you start a new topic to discuss on the two phones. I think a lot of us will be very interested to know more.

Thanks
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 11:26
@cadcad: I don't get your point, so I won't answer you

@woaow: Nokia's new phone will be dual-mode WCDMA/GSM, so you'll be able to use it in existing GSM networks as well as new 3G. 3G networks will start appearing next year. I certainly don't intend to spend a lot of money on a phone/PDA like P800 when it will be completey obsolete next year. And, let's face it, that kind of a phone can only show its full power on a 3G network.

No, Nokia is not paying me (I wish they did ). Is SE paying you (and, it seems, a lot of other people here ) to keep moaning about the P800 like a 10year old boy about a new toy? If you really need something like that, then buy it. Don't buy it just because you think it's cool and so that you can show it to your friends and then you will be cool too.

If you ask me, 7650 and P800 both suck. They are too big and will be too expensive. And speaking of applications, there aren't really that many of them available for Symbian, are there? I would rather buy an O2 XDA, or even use a T68i + IPaq. Symbian still has a long way to go...

@Fingers: SE's production seems to be in big sh*t. They worked on the Z700 model for a long time, and now they've just cancelled it. And it seems that the P800 will be delayed to Q4 because of software problems.

woaow
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 11:35
jess_strawberry : No, I don't have both of them... Unfortunately. I had them in hand last week for less than 1h, that's all.

Faca : Why do you still keep reading these forums if you are not interested in both 7650 and P800 ??? Again I cannot understand the way you think...
And concerning dual mode 3G/GSM, have you ever thought of the software pb you might have, of the battery consumption and of the size necessary to have it work, as they will be like "prototypes launched commercially", first series...
Knowledge is much more important on GPRS and GSM phones than on 3G !

And 3G phoneS will be made to work with 3G apps, not GSM ones at the beginning...

You should be a strong contributor to http://www.my-communicator.com ...

Cheers !!

[ This Message was edited by: woaow on 2002-07-24 10:44 ]
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 12:04
Quote:

Faca : Why do you still keep reading these forums if you are not interested in both 7650 and P800 ???

Why, are only P800 worshipers allowed to read this forum? I didn't say that P800 doesn't interest me, it seems like a very cool gadget. But, I certainly won't be spending my money on it just because of that. A normal phone like the T68i, and an IPaq for PDA stuff are far more useful to me.

Quote:

And concerning dual mode 3G/GSM, have you ever thought of the software pb you might have, of the battery consumption and of the size necessary to have it work, as they will be like "prototypes launched commercially"

Sounds like you're talking about the P800 here, doesn't it?

Btw, I never said that I plan to buy that Nokia's 3G phone. That would be a waste of money (just like buying a P800 will be). I just said that if I decide one day to buy a powerful mediaphone like the P800, I will buy one that has 3G support. P800 is just a first attempt of these kind of phones, and it will be obsolete very soon.

Quote:

And a 3G phone will be made to work with 3G apps, not GSM ones at the beginning...

Can you explain to me, what is a 3G app and what is a GSM app?
woaow
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 12:18
App stands for "application". The small stuff that will make you use your PDA phone more and more.

"GSM or 3G app" means "Application which is connected to a GSM/3G network." You'll have more accurate, more updated, and more contextual information sent to you than if you have an offline app.

And believe me, the only thing we cannot do in GPRS but only in 3G is videoconferencing.
All the other usages can be done with a good GPRS phone.

Cheers
andrew99
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 12:27
@faca

Nokia are going to announce their first 3G product this year. but it won't be released until next year.
I agree with you, that the first one released is probably not a good purchase, I'd rather wait until the service (3G) and the proudcts are at least a little bit mature.

I disagree with you though that the P800 is only really useful with 3G. It will run at the equivalent to dial up modem speeds, and you can do an awful lot with that.
Plus, if it is realeased at below £300 with contract, that is half the price of an iPaq with bluetooth.

Andrew
Froddan
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 12:29
As far as I know, the first 3G phones will work on gsm/gprs and 3G basis. Simply because the 3G network will not have coverage enough, by the time the first 3G phones hit the market. And believe me, once 3G launches, with data speeds up to 384k, gprs will seem very slow and outrunned.
P800 looks to be a great phone with intentions to handle "everything",
but by the time it's out for sale there will be 3G phones on the market
as well. And a gsm/gprs phone, no matter how tech filled it is, can not
compete with a 3G phone, it simply falls short in every aspect.
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 12:48
@woaow: I know what 'app' means, I was being sarcastic. Smartphone apps will propably all be using TCP/IP (or something similar, on a higer level than wireless protocols) for communication, so it is the same thing, as far as the app is concerned, whether that goes over GPRS or over WCDMA or whatever. So, I don't think there will be '3G apps' and 'GSM apps', just smartphone apps that wil run a LOT faster on 3G networks.

Btw, I just found some new (23rd July) info on the release of P800 (it says September):

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=P800

[ This Message was edited by: faca on 2002-07-24 12:07 ]
lazarini
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-24 13:16
@faca

u talk to much
badger
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 14:43
Just had a good look at the P800. The keypad sucks! It looks like a kiddies calculator. It spoils the otherwise smart design.
ajack
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-24 15:09
No matter what's said and done, comparing the Nokia 7650 and SE P800, I'd buy the P800 any day. Love the phone, saw the 7650 in Thailand, boring piece of crap.
lazarini
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-24 15:16
Quote:

On 2002-07-24 15:09, ajack wrote:
No matter what's said and done, comparing the Nokia 7650 and SE P800, I'd buy the P800 any day. Love the phone, saw the 7650 in Thailand, boring piece of crap.

exactly
Ericsson R520m - Nokia 9300i - Nokia E90 - iPhone 8Gb
webwatcher
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 15:27
Friends, Friends come on!!!....

Let's wait till the product arrives, I played with it on cebit for over 2 hours, a friend of me works at SE. The phone is excelent, don't yank regarding the keypad, .. take it off if you don't like it! Ericsson wouldn't mind. Everyone has his own taste. My taste isn't bad, so they tell me (friends) and I love the ericsson, it's reliable and you can work really good with it!...

As far as I know the phone will be officialy introduced at 20 of august. But people who are in the phone or IT businness knows that the world "delayed" is standard in our core business

I read and read and read here in this forum, I have close contact with guys from se, .. to be honest, yes the date is

Don't let this thread became a flame, ...

Best regards

webwatcher - holland
ed4mon
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 15:39
Not been on here in a while so forgive me if any references to 'new' etc is 'old news', but...

...We've just had a Sony Ericsson crew at my work place showing off the fancy new phones, the 'new' communicam MCA25 and, the Chatpen (VERY, VERY IMPRESSED WITH THAT ONE)

They also had prototype P800s and were showing them off and I must say I am very impressed with that too!!!! Even showed some video MPEGS-marvelous stuff!!!

UK readers:
With regards to the P800, I was told that they are awaiting network approval but release looks to be in October for around £250 connected to a network(as mentioned by someone else previously).
There seems to be no indication as to who will be releasing it first although it looks less likely to be Orange seeing as they take their time with almost everything !!!!

Having been a Nokia fan since I first owned mobile phones, I converted to a T68 (just disappointed with Menu and SMS navigation speeds with that one). Having seen what I have done today, I will definitely be looking to get the P800!!!!

Also got a fancy booklet showing the "product portfolio" for 2002 and the phones look very nice.

Hope this info is of some help.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi