Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P800 Problem.

Previous  12
Author P800 Problem.
loyal2thegame
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 17:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Cheers clubberkid - that is wot i meant by testing the phone!

I'd just like to add that while leaving some memory spare may help the phone to run better, I'm not convinced it will solve the problem of it crashing. This is because from personal experience i havn't noticed a difference, it just used to crash in the middle of a txt regardless of how much space i had left on C drive. Also I think the old firmware of the p800 may be more reliable, my friends p800 has sooo many apps and videos and useless things, yet the firmware is older than the one i had on mine. His hardly ever crashes, however, when it does he says its only when he's writing a txt (so he claims), and it warns him that its going to shut down. Mine just went off. So perhaps downgrading the firmware may be a better solution to the problem (if this is possible), in terms of reliability.

When I used to flash nokias, often the older firmware versions were more reliable.

Now with regard to carphone warehouse issue, if im right they use sim free stock for their phones, so the phone should be unlocked and the box should only contain the phone, manual and accessories, many retailers open the boxes to actually physically verify the stock when they receive deliveries so the orange sim may have got mixed up in there somehow. The sales assistant may put ur receipt and ur 02 sim in the box as well, personally I would argue that orange sim could not have been in the box without the phone being used, was the sim actually in the phone? Or just lying in the box? U may be able to kick up a fuss about it, especially if the orange sim was in the phone before you first use it. However, whether or not they will give you a new one depends a lot on how long ago u purchased it (usually returns/exchanges have to be done within 28 days of purchase for most high street retailers) regardless of the facts.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 17:58
I find that message blanking/restarting will keep happening until you manually switch off and then on again (without attempting to re-write your message).

As for the firmware differences - certainly the general consensus here is that the latest version is the most stable.
scottish_steveo
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-01-28 15:31
Well i contacted and they gave me telephone numbers for the nearest store to get it upgraded. So I will go there either tomorrow or sunday to get it fixed.

The phone only crashes when i write a text message, it doesnt warn me about it, the screen just goes blank and the phone restarts.

As for the carphonewarehouse issue, when i opened the box i found an orange simcard in the box, out of curiousity i put it into the phone but it wouldnt recognise it, so im guessing the phone is not unlocked. I phoned up regarding a number i could call o2 to get my allowances etc and i told him about it, he just said he didnt know why that was in there.
Don't Hunt What You Can't Kill!!!
loyal2thegame
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-29 01:14
Noooo the phone must definately be unlocked, if u bought it from CPW on O2 DEFINATELY UNLOCKED. Test another sim. I think that sim was not registered yet. They have to call some numbers and activate it if its a pay monthly sim. Try it in another phone. If the phone isn't unlocked there is something seriously wrong. when flip is closed, turn the jogdial down once, then press * then * again, and then turn the jogdial down u should see all the locks are all unhlocked for Network, Network subset and Service provider.
djkizlive
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-29 01:20
Neat little trick Worked on my P900. All locks were red and unlocked.

Try it on your P800 and see what it says.
-I offer a P800/900/910 Repair Service for next to nothing-
-No job too big or small. PM for Details!-
scottish_steveo
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 06:20
i got four red unlocked padlocks

[ This Message was edited by: scottish_steveo on 2005-01-30 05:21 ]
nickorooster
P900
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 10:15
So, the latest p800 Firmware should fix this restart thing then?

Oh and it also happens to me when I'm writing a post for the forums. Its REALLY annoying, when you've just writtne a HUGE post, and it decides to crap up on you .

Nick
govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 10:50
And the later firmware is? R2d?

This message was posted from a K500

nickorooster
P900
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 12:16
Yeah, I think so. Mine is R1A or sumthing. The VERY first .

Is there any way I can update the p800's firmware myself? And if so, how?

Nick

Edit: Sorry, forgot to ask.

I have another p800 Problem.

Basically, I have the new PC Suite, and EVERY time I sync my contacts, it makes a duplicate on my phone. So, for example, I may have 4 instances of "John Smith", the original, and 3 others that are the same aside from one little detail. In the place where the adress is normally located there is the name again, "John Smith". Its REALLY annoying. Can Anyone help?

Also, does anyone know of any free programs I can use to write sms from my PC and send it via my p800? I just don't like writing on the screen while it's in its cradle. I'd much prefer to type them .

Nick

[ This Message was edited by: nickorooster on 2005-01-30 11:44 ]
Curve
T300
PM
Posted: 2005-01-31 00:19
@nick

write your text in note pad, transfere to your documents section on your phone, copy text and paste into sms.

other than that i dont know if theres another way:P
djkizlive
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-31 00:22
RemoteP800.

Lets you control your Pxxx using the mouse, and you can write SMS messages using your PC keyboard. A must have tool for any Pxxx user

Search for it on Google.
-I offer a P800/900/910 Repair Service for next to nothing-
-No job too big or small. PM for Details!-
nickorooster
P900
PM
Posted: 2005-01-31 09:29
Cool I will.

Nick
craigc
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-31 14:52
i have this problem with my p800 every now and again and i can confirm that it has nothing to do with available memory.

i think it's just a bug - it only happens to me when i'm half way through writing an sms which is REALLY annoying.

i'd be interested in whether a firmware upgrade fixes it - i have one of the later (if not the latest) P800 firmware upgrades and i still have this problem.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi