Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > wi-fi or 3g?

123  Next
Author wi-fi or 3g?
julioinocencio
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 02:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Have been thinking about buying a new phone. I need to be connected as often as I can to a fast ISP. my dilemma is that, wi-fi can only be accessed in hotspots or at least when there is a router available. to all 3g users out there, 3g will be coming out in the philippines by next year. I just want to know, how much are they charging you with 3g connection? is it a gprs connection as well only faster?? How do they charge you with video calling and internet browsing? what are your comments regarding the service of 3g providers when they started out? (Europeans, help.) Im eyeing on the mpx for wifi but if 3g is more practical, then i'd go with a 3g phone.

thanx
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-28 03:18
@julioinocencio

The first 3G network in the UK, 3, has experienced some problems. The main problems were coverage and poor handset performance. The handset problems have largely been solved due to new products being releases.

Coverage problems will decrease as the 3G network expands, it is already at an acceptable level in major towns and cities.

3G is reasonably fast in comparison to GPRS, although not as fast as Wi-Fi. Pricing levels for data usage are not too bad, although video calling rates are a little more expensive than standard phone calls.

On the whole I am rather impressed with 3G in the UK and I imagine that the problems it currently faces will decrease as time moves on. This thread may be of interest to you.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
rraz9228
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 07:33
julioinocencio

Personally, I prefer 3G because wi-fi can only be access on hot spots while 3G will have wider coverage. But I dont think that you will see any 3G soon in the Philippines since Smart just invested so much money with EDGE and I dont think that the roll out of Edge is even finish. Unless your other carrier like Globe will go for 3G.

[ This Message was edited by: rraz9228 on 2004-11-28 06:36 ]
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-28 07:43
For now I would choose a GPRS with Wifi. 3G is maximum three times faster than GPRS and until 3G really is implemented and has good coverage I would bridge that time with wifi/GPRS, which has good speed and coverage.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
julioinocencio
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 13:55
@rraz9228

Thanx a lot guys. SMART according to INQ7 will release 3g next year and Nokia to provide the first UMTS handheld , the 6630. That is why that certain model is coming out. Globe as of now has no plans of getting 3g though...
namal
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-28 14:14
Because wifi consumes more power and can only be used in hotspots or at homes, id choose 3g.

This message was posted from a WAP device

arnoldmarlo
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-30 06:33
3G Phones: SAnyo V801SA

Hi guys!

Anyone of u folks know how to unlock this particular phone unit?. m from the PI and the phone was given to me by a friend who was from Japan, under contract with Vodafone.

Any information will be appreciated.. thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: arnoldmarlo on 2004-11-30 05:40 ]
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-30 09:17
Quote:

On 2004-11-28 13:55:09, julioinocencio wrote:
@rraz9228

SMART according to INQ7 will release 3g next year and Nokia to provide the first UMTS handheld , the 6630. That is why that certain model is coming out. Globe as of now has no plans of getting 3g though...

where did you read that? all the articles i've read have been quoting the telcos as asking the NTC to push the licensing auctions out for 2 more years since they don't believe that 3G is viable yet in the country.

with the very high costs of setting up the network, i'd have to say that i fully agree with them. in fact, if i had to guess, i'd say that i don't think that their GPRS networks are even being fully exploited yet.
julioinocencio
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-30 10:57
If i remember it correctly, i think it was 3 weeks to a month ago. I'll try to search it in the archives just to make sure.

BTW, is the states releasing 3g networks soon? though i do know that they are focusing on EDGE as of the moment.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-05 04:18
@julioiocencio

3G is currently available in a limited number of American cities, but I doubt that it will be expanded to any great extent anytime soon. For more information you might want to have a look at this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2004-12-05 03:19 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-05 05:16
Quote:

On 2004-11-30 09:17:48, senninha wrote:
where did you read that? all the articles i've read have been quoting the telcos as asking the NTC to push the licensing auctions out for 2 more years since they don't believe that 3G is viable yet in the country.

with the very high costs of setting up the network, i'd have to say that i fully agree with them. in fact, if i had to guess, i'd say that i don't think that their GPRS networks are even being fully exploited yet.

I totally agree with you. Considering that 95% of Globe and Smart's income comes from the C & D markets, with SMS being their primary source of income... 3G isn't exactly a smart choice. IMO 3G is already dead. With the incompatibility between networks, high handset prices, limited handset models, short battery life, limited features in 3G handsets, and no real advantage to the masses... a lot of people are banking on 4G (or whatever they'll call it) instead.

I'm personally not too excited about 3G since it doesn't seem to offer anything more than fast internet... gee... wow... I mean, I know I'd be considered as having an internet addiction and all.. but even then. 3G isn't all they TRIED to market it to be.

Julio, one thing is for sure... WiFi will ALWAYS be a lot cheaper than GPRS/EDGE/3G. Mobile networks will always charge per KB... so think of it this way... the faster the access... the more you pay per second. If all you do it surf regular websites...and download email w/ no attachments... GPRS/EDGE is practical enough. GPRS is fast enough to use the Yahoo webcam (yes I've tried it).

Even if Smart rolls out 3G next year... I can guarantee you that their coverage will be worse than Sun Cellular's for the first year or two... so getting a 3G handset next year would be kinda impractical.

[ This Message was edited by: jplacson on 2004-12-05 04:23 ]
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-05 06:18
I agree with ResidentEvil & Jplacson. My recommendation is, go WiFi/GPRS. The GPRS networks are tested & more matured, & WiFi can always serve as ur preffered connection where hotspots are available.
PS: I used to be known as AYA
Jake Blues
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-12-05 07:51
so what will 4g offer? [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-05 18:25
@Nature

Take a look at this site, they have a 4G section.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
soichiro
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-12-05 18:35
in the end, it all comes down to value. and in terms of getting your money's worth, its definitely wi-fi.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi