Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > The State of the Union

Author The State of the Union
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 02:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What is the actual state of the mobile phone market in the U.S. at the moment? What do Americans chaps think about it?
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 08:25
Also, something I've wondered about - what do Americans in general think about text messaging? It is all the rage in Europe and other places in the world, but looking at US films and TV series, I don't think I've come across a single one yet that even has a reference to SMS messages!

p.s. @scotsboy -I hope I'm not threadjacking here, it is linked to your question, honest! I too am interested in what state the US phone market is at too
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

absinthebri
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-09-28 08:31
I'm interested, too. It seems, from what I can see, that Americans have quite a different relationship to their mobile than Europeans. Is it due to lack of coverage or due to non-GSM systems or is it down to "cultural" reasons?

This message was posted from a T68i

Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 08:39
from what I know of my time there, push-to-talk was always a lot more common and popular than text messaging. Probably a cost factor (PTT was free) as well as a network issue.
plasmadog
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-09-28 10:53
i think that since there is no gsm network in the us, sms hasn't caught on yet.
but, also maybe because mobile phones/charges are still expensive compared to asian or european levels
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-09-28 11:44
?

I pay bout 80 bucks a month--800 minutes, (10 cents per minute) unlimited gprs access, 300 texts a month, yadda yadda.

Its not that expensive.

oh yeah and we do have GSM here, they are ugrading to 2.5G (EDGE) right now. [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 19:43
@kimcheeboi

I don't think price is the crucial difference; cultural differences would seem to play a more important role in explaining the differences between the Eurasian and American markets.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 20:20
We've had GSM coverage for almost 10 years now, but only in major cities. We're just starting to get coverage along major highways and in outlying areas.

SMS is starting to catch on, but people have always (and some still do) think that it is easier to just make the phone call instead of typing on the phone's keypad. Now that GSM is starting to gain more customers and coverage, SMS is more common. We just recently (within the past two years) got the ability to send SMS between carriers, and still cannot send MMS between carriers. (I don't know what MMS is like in Europe, but here we are limited to our provider's customers.)

Some companies are still pushing TDMA and CDMA. Sprint and Verizon are two of these companies, and for some reason they seem to be doing quite well. Even though Sprint is very limited in their international roaming, they seem to be very popular with businesses.

The PTT feature seemed more popular in the past, but I think that is because Nextel (the only company in the US with nationwide PTT) generally has shitty coverage.

This is all my opinion, where applicable. I am a big fan of GSM and SMS and I have never had anything but GSM, except a company mobile phone where I had no choice.
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 21:08
Americans are lazy, so you won't find many using SMS, trying to write a sentence with a phone's keypad. They rather yak in every possible location, especially behind the wheel. That is the reason you can see bumper stickers here saying "Shut up and drive".
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 22:20
Quote:

On 2004-09-28 21:08:37, Residentevil wrote:
Americans are lazy, so you won't find many using SMS, trying to write a sentence with a phone's keypad. They rather yak in every possible location, especially behind the wheel. That is the reason you can see bumper stickers here saying "Shut up and drive".

Bingo.
For sale: Near-mint M600i (white), PM me if interested
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 23:55
@Residentevil and richy240

Self-depricating Americans? What is the world coming to?

@all

MMS can be sent to anyone, irrespective of network in Europe.
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-28 23:57
Quote:

scotsboyuk wrote:
@Residentevil and richy240

Self-depricating Americans? What is the world coming to?

Hey, honesty is the best policy!
For sale: Near-mint M600i (white), PM me if interested
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-29 00:17
What is the current state of 3G in the U.S.? I am also interested in what services are available, not just handset technology, but the services customers can access from their handsets.
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-09-29 00:26
@res and richy-

i saw a woman driving the wrong way on a 1-way street...

yakking on the cell phone [addsig]
richy240
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-29 03:02
Quote:

On 2004-09-29 00:17:14, scotsboyuk wrote:
What is the current state of 3G in the U.S.? I am also interested in what services are available, not just handset technology, but the services customers can access from their handsets.

Umm... Pretty much none. AT&T Wireless just recently launched the first 3G network in the US, and its only available in 6 cities (the 6 biggest markets). I don't have any details on this, but you can find information on the web (http://www.attws.com).

[ This Message was edited by: richy240 on 2004-09-29 02:07 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic