Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Configurate Palm 505 with T68 using GPRS

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  12
Author Configurate Palm 505 with T68 using GPRS
kafka
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-11 17:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
After several days and many phone calls to Vodafone Customer Services, I finally managed to get my t68 (R1A) and m505 working using GPRS over IR, as well as email on the t68 over GPRS. As someone posted earlier, I had to upgrade my subscription from GPRS starter (free) to GPRS1 (£7.50 per month) in order to get them to 'provision' the internet APN, which from my conversations today seems to be a matter of them ticking a box on a computer screen at their Banbury centre. For those still seeking this holy grail, I suggest that you go to the Vodafone website at the link I posted above (although you will have to copy the whole lot and paste it into a browser) and check your settings against those there. The only change I had to make was to put

*99***2#

in under phone number, since I already have the wap APN and it is CID=1, so the web APN seems to be CID=2. Anyway, I'm guessing, but it does work, and my god, it is fast! Not quite up to 56k modem speeds, but a very respectable second. Now I just need that Bluetooth SD card that's waiting for me at my parent's house and woohoo!!!
kafka
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-11 17:46
I forgot to ask, did anyone else see the print ads in the national press for Vodafone's GPRS internet access?
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-12 02:50
@kafka, seems you got it working now.

Congratulations and enjoy!
kolhatkar
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-03-15 01:52
For those of you yet to provision your handheld ( be in Palm or PocketPC) most mobile phone retailers have Voda GPRS packs which contain all the details to setup your phone and/or handheld
handleyg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-18 13:45
I still can't connect my M505 to the internet using my T68 and Vodafone GPRS. I have been speaking to Vodafone for the last few days but they still can't help me. If anyone does have the above combination working please can you let me know how you got both to work?

Many thanks
Glenn Handley
kafka
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-18 14:16
Glenn,

this is my exact setup:

Ericsson T68
The Data account is called "Internet" (as that is the profile name in the Palm) and the CID=2;
APN: internet
User ID: web
Password: web
IP adress: blank
DNS address: blank

On the Palm M505:
Service: Internet
User name: web
Password: web
Connection: IR to t68
Phone: *99***2#
Connection type: PPP
Idle timeout: Never
Query DNS: Ticked
IP address: Automatic
Login Script:
Send: ATZ
Send CR:
Send: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","internet"
Send CR:
End

Just to reiterate, you will not get GPRS access unless you are on at least the GPRS1 Vodafone tarrif, which costs £7.50 a month! Also, my internet connection has CID=2 because I also have the WAP APN provisioned and that is CID=1, hence the alteration to the phone number.
Gyre8
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 10:16
Kafka,

I wonder if you can help me. I note that you're getting a Bluetooth SD card for your palm. Have you got it yet? I'm trying to configure the WAP browser that comes with the BT SD card to make a direct connection to the phone and use the GPRS to Wap-browse. I have followed your settings above and I can get a GPRS connection but the Wap browser on the Palm needs some settings configured (such as Gateway, Cache, Netpanel and Mode settings). It would be great if you had set all this up already and could let me know what the settings are. I am using a Palm 505, a Ericsson T39m and Vodafone UK (with the Tariff 1 GPRS service) as my service provider.

Cheers

Regards
ah_kean
K750
PM
Posted: 2002-03-23 17:15
Quote:

On 2002-03-06 12:23, kafka wrote:
Perhaps in future you could hold off on redirecting me to a thread that contains no helpful information on my problem. I have just wasted my time ploughing through all those messages for no benefit.

To reiterate:

I have been through the methods posted by Palm UK and Vodafone UK for connecting an m505 to a t68 via IR and using GPRS to no avail.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could let me know if they have succeeded with any of those methods.

hey if u want to connect any palm to GPRS , check it out from, http://www.mapalad.org/html
its so useful...

i can dial out , it's connected... n now the prob is how to surf the net, what software to use... anyone can advise ?
pf
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-26 16:38
Has anyone successfully used AT&T Wireless with the T68 and a Palm? I am trying to setup an IR connection between the Palm and the T68 but not much happens. I have looked at the UK and Singapore settings but they are not getting me far.

Help!

Followup:

I have gotten this to work, thanks to kafka! Here are the settings for other curious folks:

1. ATT, at least in Chicago, has AWS Data and AWS Wap as data connections by default. So there is no need to add data connections or edit anything on the phone.

2. Palm Vx -> Prefs -> Connection
2.1. New Configuration
2.2. Name: T68 (you can obviously choose whatever you like)
2.2. Connection Method: IrCOMM to Modem
2.3. Dialing: TouchTone
2.4. Volume: Low
2.5. Press "Details" Button
2.5.1. Speed: 57,600
2.5.2. FlowCtl: Automatic
2.5.3. Init String: at&f;
2.5.4. Press "OK" Button
2.6. Press "OK" Button

3. Palm Vx -> Prefs -> Network
3.1. Service: T68 (again this is just a name so use what you like)
3.2. User Name: web
3.3. Password: web
3.4. Connection: T68 (this is the connection you created in step 2)
3.5. Phone: *99***1#
3.6. Press "Details" Button
3.6.1. Connection Type: PPP
3.6.2. Idle timeout: Power Off
3.6.3. Query DNS: CHECKED ON
3.6.4. IP Address: CHECKED ON Automatic
3.6.5. Press "Script" Button
3.6.5.1. Note: that by clicking end you display a list of command which we will use
3.6.5.2. Send: ATZ (add the letters yourself, there will be no list)
3.6.5.3. Send CR:
3.6.5.4. Send: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","Internet" (seems to be case sensitive but I could have just had a bad connection the first time)
3.6.5.5. Send CR:
3.6.5.6. End:
3.6.5.7. Press "OK" Button
3.6.6. Press "OK" Button
3.7. Press "Connect" Button

Now you can surf like crazy! Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: pf on 2002-03-26 17:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pf on 2002-03-26 17:29 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi