Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > to buy K700 now or wait for the first software upgrade

Previous  123  Next
Author to buy K700 now or wait for the first software upgrade
Paris
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-09 12:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
lol, buggy phone? LOL sit and wait for the next firmware? LOL

i have the phone for a week now and i never had a problem with it. I played movies on it, taken pictures, used themes, send sms,pics,videos,themes and anything via BT, synchronized with outlook via BT and many many many more stuff. I never had a problem with it and i can not see why some people even think that its buggy. lol if there are a few things that se misses, i am sure they are very little things since i have not seen anything weird on my phone.

Do your self a favor and go but it now!!!!
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-09 13:02
I see little point in waiting. I have a K700 and am very happy with it. Issues such as a shorter battery life than the T610 can't be fixed through firmware updates and you may find that even if you buy a K700 in 6 months it will have the first available firmware on it!

Considering the battery is less capacious and the phone obviously uses a far faster CPU than the T610 it should come as no suprise that the battery life isn't as good.

My recommendation is to buy the phone now and just visit your SE Service Centre when new firmwares are released - it's free and pretty quick (usually about 30-45 mins). I upgraded the firmware of my T610 a number of times through my local Service Centre (which is located in Coventry).
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 13:44
Its all very well saying they can get a firmware upgrade but if the phone is nt available in there country they probably wont get one. I bet if you took a z1010 to your service centre and would bet they wont touch it till its released in the uk not sayin dont buy it but just bear it in mind

This message was posted from a Nokia

plastAnka
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 13:47
Why wait?
shinshin
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 14:51
My k700i is incredibly stable, its only crashed once and that was cause some idiot cant create wapsites properly, reading the problems people have been having and the only thing i have in common is the battery, apart from that no complaints at all. I got mine on o2Online and was expecting a whole lot of bugs after reading in here, but to my enjoyment. NONE!
I had it....i broke it...i got a new one
neonismo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 15:26
Buggy? This is expected with a new release phone on an entirely new platform. When i first got my t68m, the phone was near unusable for a few months. Its up to you if you can live with the potential minor issues with the k700.

This message was posted from a Nokia

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 15:36
I listened to the radio on my K700 this morning while i was at work on loudspeaker, and kept changing station after every song, wrote text messages, and played around with a few other features.

After 2 hours of constant use, the battery meter went down 1 green line of the battery, thats a couple of pixels. Thats great battery life i reckon !

[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2004-07-09 14:37 ]
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 15:52
The only reason why I told the guy to wait is because he is from NYC. And so he won't have access to a SE service center, as there apparently is only one in the US.
So, my recommendation is for him to wait till the phone comes with the first or second FW upgrade so that the small glitches are ironed out. And, maybe, the battery life gets extended.
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 16:28
Other phone shops can perform the update too, not just a SE centre.

Where i live, all shops do it, even the back alley ones, so im sure its the same in the US.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 21:15
i am sure non authorised places can do firmware upgrades but where does that leave the person if it goes wrong and the phone gets screwed up. at least in an se centre they are abliged to sort it out i dont know if a non authorised place would feel such and obligation.
since the phone isnt out in the us yet and isnt for the near future it may not be a chance they wish to take.
at the end of the day there are all the problems listed here on esato if you consider them to be minor ( most of which seem to be) then it would be worth buying
in the next few weeks i am sure there will be a firmware upgrade out and if you buy from a reputable dealer over the net i am sure they will make sure you get the lastest firmware on a newer week handset esp if you ask them and explain the situation
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 21:59
Quote:

On 2004-07-09 15:52:50, michka wrote:
So, my recommendation is for him to wait till the phone comes with the first or second FW upgrade so that the small glitches are ironed out.

That's nice. But even after the second FW upgrade is released, how will he know the K700 he orders has it ? The chance is probably greater he gets one with old FW then one with new one and same
problem will arise again. Where to upgrade.
tommo21
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 22:51
When I bought my T68i(6 months after it's release), it still had the original firmware on it R2A something. I remember checking out which was the current one, and to my surprise it was R5A I think. This means that it will be an awful long time before you get handsets that has the updated firmware. I also noticed that the people with the most problems with their K700's is mostly the branded ones from Vodaphone and Orange. I have a brand free version and although it has some small problems which can be rectified by new firmware releases, I'm nowhere near some of the problems the branded versions are having. We must also remember that new firmware also can create new bug's as well as fixing old ones.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2004-07-10 00:09
Mine came direct from SE themselves and ive had hardly any problems with mine.

I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. When i got my T610 last year it had the R1A firmware, the very earliest, but i still loved the phone and was happy with it. When i got it updated later in the year i was suprised at the difference it made to the phone.

Well, right now the K700 is way past that stage in its firmware. Even the current K700 firmware puts the latest T610 firmware to shame.

If the next firmware for the K700 has as much impact on the phone as it did with the T610, apart from fixing the bugs, i dont see how it could get any better.

SOD WAITING, GO BUY ONE !

Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
SilveR.
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-10 00:42
I got Z1010 right now, it's got some buggy at this moment, it's worth few weeks more, and prices drops down .
you save more cash, and skipp a buggy FW.

If u got old phone liek T68, then buy it now

I got Z600 before I get Z1010, I shall wait, but I alredy got it now..
eieio
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-10 07:31
hi guys, thanks for all the advice. while i think it is a decent "bet" that the current K700i will work decently, i've read so many guys with K700i's which have phone numbers switched with other names!

one alternative is to get it from a more expensive but more reliable place so the return policy is solid.

another alternative is to wait till after the very first firmware upgrade, which i would estimate at a month to two from now.

as i'm in the US, there aren't that many Sony Ericsson authorized service centers who will upgrade firmware, all of them cost something, around $25 for a firmware upgrade, plus fedex charges to and from them.

i'm less concerned about the $25 but am concerned about the aggravation, mailing the phone back and forth, etc.

just don't want to buy a fun toy and end up with a bunch of headaches! i want to buy a fun toy and end up with enjoyment...

does that sound reasonable? hope at least the first firmware upgrade will come up soon.

if i ordered one now, i'll get it 2nd day fedex next Tuesday.

ugh.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi