Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > to buy K700 now or wait for the first software upgrade

123  Next
Author to buy K700 now or wait for the first software upgrade
eieio
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-08 23:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hi, i'm here in nyc and am in the process of getting the K700. however, i'm somewhat concerned about how difficult it is here in the US to get software "flash" upgrades, unlike in Europe.

i've had the 68i before, had numerous problems, now i'm using the T610, i'm satisfied, very few issues, though i waited for a couple of months in the beginning in order to NOT buy the very first batches so the one i got was at least several software versions after the very first batch. i'm kind of of the opinion that if i were to get a K700 with a host of new problems, then the pleasure of using/owning it is vastly diminished by the frustrations of trying to fix it, flash the ROM, etc. by unauthorized guys...

may i please ask for advice as to whether you all think it is better to wait a couple more weeks/months for the software to be upgraded? or is the current K700 sufficiently well made (w/very few issues) that it is worth getting immediately?

many thanks!

ps: besides expansys, what might be some other reliable places to get the K700 in the US? Reliability/return policy/honesty is of the highest importance to me, a reasonable price is also important, not necessarily the very least expensive.

thanks again.
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2004-07-08 23:41
I don't own a k700. But from all I have read on this forum (and others as well), I would advise you to wait. Too many bugs at the moment, and a very poor battery life per charges.
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 01:22
I dont speak for everyone on Esato, but my K700 is pretty much problem free..

Yes, the 1 key stuck once for about half a second. Never done it since.

Yes, the battery meter is a little buggy.. but most of the time its fine.

Yes, the battery life is short, but not as bad as people say (my K700 now lasts about 4 days between charges, and heavy use)..

What im saying is, the little problems with it wouldnt put me off off buying the phone. Im perfectly happy with mine. Since i know the small problems will soon be fixed in a firmware update, ive nothing to worry about.

The most annoying problem for me is the Bluetooth. While its better than the T610's which i had previously, it can take about 5 seconds to connect sometimes to other devices, whereas the T610 would often connect in about 1-2 seconds. Also, i cant get the remote control to work, but i suspect its a compatibility issue with my Bluetooth dongle, and not the K700.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-07-09 03:49
I would wait for the next firmware.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 04:07
I am personally waiting. There are a few people who profess to having a problem free handset, but I can't see the likelihood of getting the same luck. So... You can either try your luck now if it is in fact you can't wait or need it now. Otherwise, try waiting until there is an upgrade to the firmware or until you can find one of these sources of a bugless K700i. For now...I'll continue waiting.

This message was posted from a T310

eskay
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 04:11
As much as i would like to buy this phone something tells me that Nokia is superior in software and quality. I had SE in the past but its not as good as Nokia. Even the 6600 is better then k700. Take my word for it i had phones for years.

This message was posted from a Nokia

mers
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 05:17
@eieio: I have one of the first K700i phones, two days into it being released in Hong Kong. Waiting may not be a bad idea because there will be a significant number of bug fixes if SE have been paying attention. Even so, it's nice to have the phone right away, and you don't know when the firmware will be updated. And even if you do wait and get the next version, you'll still want to keep it updated afterwards.

I'm in the DC area so I'm gonna have the same trouble finding service centers. But we'll find them. I'll let you know what I hear.

@eskay: Don't be a jackass. If you want to give an uncorroborated off-topic opinion go do it somewhere else.
dj_wolfinstein
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 08:12
I would like to say one thing..Yes I agree SE software is little poor and unstable as compared to Nokia, But SE is more responsive to customer complaints..Like when people had problems with T 610 they promptly released firmwares..I think its just like you are comparing a Toyota to Dodge Van..Toyota is refined and good and value for money..Dodge is crude " all american crap"..No offence though just literal though..!

Eskay..why don't you join a Nokia community..I guess you got routed wrong this is ESATO- Sony Ericsson Community..lol..
2 pegs of whisky-Rs500,4 shots of Tequila-Rs1000,6 cans of Beer-Rs300,Driving home a Girl who has drank all this-PRICELESS
fu1at
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 08:28
eskay,

basically what nokia did was they change the look of the phone without the firmware or hardware inside. of coz they have less bugs. u can put 6610 firmware in thier 3650 or 3660.

and now... try to put t610 firmware in K700. see that works or not. do not make comments if u don't know the truth.
mv agusta
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 09:00
About nokias firmware, it's like u buy a new RC211V (honda) but it got the same machine like '95 CBR1000RR. The improvments only at the body works. And i think it's okay to get a k700i today than wait till...u dont even know how long till the fw stable and free of bugs coz believe me, u gonna have a lot of fun with this baby.

This message was posted from a WAP device

ThreeX
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 09:55
Nokia software stable? Yea-he-he-hea right..
I suppose Vodafone stores returned a whole batch of 6230´s because of the stable software that crashed the phone when configuring GPRS and MMS settings..
Also remember my first 8310.. it went to service twice in the first 10 days, first because it shut down when you opened SMS inbox and the second time because it rebooted time and time again without any user input at all. Also many Nokias take forever to regain good reception. What I mean is like when going down in the basement and reception dropping to one click it takes up to 15 minutes to come up to full reception again.
Now, don´t take this as a Nokia stabbing, because i think ALL manufacturers are equally bad! They release phones because of pressure and deadlines, not because they´re ready, and Joe Public once again is the Beta tester.
That said, I wouldn´t hesitate to buy K700i now (I already have in fact ) I think a lot of the "problems" described here is nitpicking and also some are caused by excessive fiddling and playing around. No doubt there´s people having real serious problems as well, but all i can say is that my specimen is 99% trouble free anyway. Battery standby is equal to my T630 after 3 charges and the battery indicator is reasonably accurate too.
Cheers!
Happy owner of: Ericsson GH198, S868, SH888, R310s, T10s, T28s, A2618s, T39m x2, T68m, T66, SE t68i, T610, S700i, Nokia 2110i, 6210, 8310, 8850, 8890 and 6680 Siemens S55
macdid
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 10:15
go for it

This message was posted from a WAP device

Lordmike
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 10:44
I say go for it. You actually think they will take in all the phones already on the market (that is in the stores or in warehouses a few thousand phones) when they release a new upgrade? I think not.
You will have to wait a few months for the first batch to be sold before they make new ones with a new update.
Buy one now and update it later saying you want all updates for free when you buy it.
CyberVisitor
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 10:55
Quote:

On 2004-07-08 23:41:45, michka wrote:
I don't own a k700. But from all I have read on this forum (and others as well), I would advise you to wait. Too many bugs at the moment, and a very poor battery life per charges.

I have had the K700i since day one it was released. It has some minor problems. I really want to stress out that they are minor. There's no reason to wait buying it!

You should also know that there's no way all these minor problems will be solved in the next software release (even if some people think so). It might take two or three releases before they are all solved. And as always, with new releases comes new problems. This is not a Sony Ericsson problem but a problem with major releases.

Also, if you wait buying it until the next software release it will take some time before phones out of the box have it installed. Actually people will be able to update the software before any phones with the new software is available in the stores. And, finally, since the software is upgradable for for free, there's no need to wait for phones with the new software installed.

It's important to know that the problems mentioned here are mostly very minor - the K700i is very stable and well working for being a first release of a so advanced phone. Just make sure the keypad is working fine so you don't get stuck with hardware problems.

Since all phones these days tend to be using more and more advanced software we will always have problems with bugs. Before, when phones had just calling capabilities (and maybe sms support), they also had software bugs. I remember my GH-337 even was released with beta-software and came with a note saying so. Now phones are hundred times more advanced and software dependent so I would say that they have even less bugs today than the phones from mid 1990.

In the K700i case, the problems are not much related to the calling capabilities (just check the keypads as mentioned above). The problems (bugs) are related to other system features that comes with the phone. Those problems will not all be fixed very shortly - if you want a K700i without software bugs you might have to wait for some months, and waiting that long for something that is almost here right now is a shame!
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-07-09 11:15
One thing to bear in mind is if i remember your post you live in the u s you may find it hard to find a service center that up date the software on a phone that has nt hit the market there. You could be stuck with the problems for quite some time also a minor problem to one person can be a major to another

This message was posted from a Nokia

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi