Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Incoming Call during GPRS

Previous  1234  Next
Author Incoming Call during GPRS
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-03-04 18:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just drawing conclusions from what has been posted on this thread already:

It would seem that voice calls will interrupt GPRS, unless data is being transmitted. Therefore, if you are using any application of GPRS that requires constant transmission of data (e.g. phone as PC modem(!)), you ain't getting any calls!

Dunno what the specs of Class B GPRS are but it seems fairly straight forward to me.
georgejason
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-04 19:40
@dave_uk
Wat u say is straight. My doubt is that when im browsing the net using the internal browser and there is gprs transmission, I can get incoming calls, whereas when i connect the phone as a modem and there is gprs transmission I dont get a call. Is there any difference between the transmissions of gprs when used inside and outside the phone.

Pls explain.
thanx in advance
Begin at the beginning and end at the end.
For Indians
support and join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/se_india/
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-03-04 19:45
TBH, I'm not entirely sure - there are many more knowledgeable than me round here on the technical side....but, maybe if the transmission is initiated by the phone, GPRS can interrupt, whereas if the connection is activated from a PC, phone loses capacity to do this.
Must be something to do with your PC connection, or the modem functionality of the handset.

Point is, I think this is just the way it is - doesn't sound like anything's faulty, so doubtful there's anyway to change it....

....roll on the next firmware!

Dave
georgejason
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-04 20:06
Updated to the latest firmware yesterday, but its the same. i guess it just aint possible then

thanx anyway.
For Indians
passerby
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 08:35
hi guys,

i have been doing so homework on this after i encounter this problem...

here is something extracted from a Website:
Quote:

Class A
Class A mobile phones can be connected to both GPRS and GSM services simultaneously.

Class B
Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended.

Class C
Class C mobile phones are attached to either GPRS or GSM voice service. You need to switch manually between services.

it seems that only CLASS A phones are able to be handle both GSM and GPRS traffics simultaneously...

mkush
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 09:57
Right,i av a different problem while using my t610 on gprs. When i get a call while on gprs it rings,asks me if i wanna accept,i say yes and the fone just freeze's and then i av to take out the battery? Rarely i can take the call but then it does the same while trying to resume wap? Any1?

This message was posted from a T610

georgejason
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 10:45
is SE P900 class A or B or C type of fone
For Indians
anish
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 11:36
@GeorgeJason
Try the following settings and let us know whether it worked
Go to
1. Control panel
2. Internet Accounts
3. Click the "Other" tab

Preferred Mode (bearer preference)
Please note that your P900 can be used for either voice (or GSM data) calls or transferring GPRS data, but not both at the same time. It may however still be connected to GPRS. As an example, during GPRS data transfer your P900 may not receive incoming calls. As soon as the transfer stops incoming calls will be accepted.

Select GPRS only if you do not want to be disturbed by incoming phone calls while browsing the web. All incoming voice (and GSM data) calls are rejected. If you disconnect from the Internet, incoming calls can be received. Outgoing calls are possible, except during data transfer. This mode is useful if you are using sensitive Internet services, such as banking.

If you select GSM only, your P900 will not be connected to the GPRS network. If you choose to download e-mail or browse the web, your P900 will connect to GPRS only as long as is needed for the data connection.

If you select Automatic, your P900 will let you answer incoming GSM calls while having normal GPRS functionality. A GPRS data connection will be temporarily interrupted by a voice call.
Knowledge is two fold. Knowing a subject or knowing where to find out about a subject. I rely on both... That is why I come here.
georgejason
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 19:07
@anish
Thanks a lot for the huge writeup anish, i had already tried the same things, that makes Sony Ericsson P900 a class B GPRS Phone and a collosal waste of money. at that price SE couldve included Class A features.

thanks a lot for ur time anish.

For Indians
Aled
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 19:19
Sounds to me as if it's operator rather than phone related.

This message was posted from a T610

~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-07 20:38
Am posting this on the train from my 800 while talkin on the phone. guess that makes it class A (?)
georgejason
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-16 06:56
@~lozishere~
Try connecting it to a laptop via IR or to a desktop via USB cable. Then tell me if u r able to talk yle there is data transfer. Then Ill accept it as a class A fone.

George
For Indians
alitokmen
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-17 22:24
Quote:

On 2004-03-05 09:57:02, mkush wrote:
Right,i av a different problem while using my t610 on gprs. When i get a call while on gprs it rings,asks me if i wanna accept,i say yes and the fone just freeze's and then i av to take out the battery? Rarely i can take the call but then it does the same while trying to resume wap? Any1?

You probably get your phone software updated
Ali Tokmen
http://www.alishomepage.com
passerby
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-18 16:17
yeah man...better check your T610 firmware...

the problem could be you are having a old version...
boto43
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2004-03-19 21:03
I Have the the same problem when surfin gprs wap.But sometimes I am able to receive a call.Its very Strange!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi