Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > T39 Battery Life

Author T39 Battery Life
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-30 00:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
sgreenbank,

Hope your new handset works better - fingers crossed!! I might try to get a replacement from Orange over the next few weeks, but am cautious about changing (again) to a handset that could potentially be no better, if not worse!

I read in another thread (http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=4718&forum=2&11) that production of the T39 stopped a couple of weeks ago!! (from Ervil's post) Has this been confirmed? This is quite alarming - I thought the T39 was a relatively new phone; and as it's SO great it seems odd to discontinue it. Surely this will have implications on getting "replacements" in the future.

--Matt
bizwhiz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-30 01:37
I'm planning to upgrade my phone soon to a T39 and have been reading this website with interest, to familiarise myself with any potential problems, which this marvellous little phone may have. Naturally, I'm concerned that the battery standby problem has come to light. I've made several enquiries in my local mobile phone shops. None or the retailers were familiar with this fault (or would admit to it). More worryingly, all of the T39's held in stock by all of these shops were manufactured in weeks 08, 09 & 10 of 2002. (The shops were good enough to do a check for me in spite of their scepticism). Is there any way of knowing what percentage of this batch of T39's have the battery standby fault? I don't want to buy a new phone knowing that it has to go immediately to the service centre for repair, however small. Incidentally, I understood (from this website) that the T39 was discontinued so was keen to get one while they are still available. Today, however, I spoke to the Sony Ericsson head office in England who told me that the decision to discontinue the T39 had been reversed and that they were expecting a new delivery of them imminently. Maybe the solution for me is to wait a few weeks until this fresh consignment reaches the shops.
sgreenbank
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-30 10:32
3rd New phone this one is week 02W10.

Full battery charge (battery from phone 2 or phone 3 in either phone) - standby time 75hours in a 5 bar signal area.

What a bloody surprise.

Has anyone got a T39 marked 02W08,02W09,02W10 that actually show and perform as expected with regards to standby time?

It's good to see that suppliers and Sony Ericsson don't think there isn't a problem!

Are a load of recent T39 owners not bothering to complain ? If you had bought a Ford Focus and found it did less than 10mpg you'd complain quick enough.

Anyone with a phone manufactured 02W08+ - it's on the back of the phone just above the sim card to the left of the exclamation mark.

email me at

t39battery@hotmail.com

and let me know the week of manufacture and your typical standby time following a full-charge.

I'll post the results.
nizzy
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-30 11:13
Bought my T39m Nov01. My phone manufac. date is 01w37, recently upgrade the sw to R3B006.

The standby and talk time for my phone fluctuate's as follows :

If the Stanby time is 240hrs then I will get about 2hrs ++ of talk time.
Sometime I get Standby time of 70hrs with Talk time about 8hrs ++.

I'm not sure why but maybe its due to the network. My battery usually last for a minimum of 4 days (with an average of 1 hour +- of talktime daily).

Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-30 14:35
I don’t believe it!

I called Orange to report the problem with my T39 battery life. The representative I spoke to said he had not heard of this fault, and was unaware of any complaints – I had complained once already, and been sent one new handset. I explained this problem seemed to afflict handsets manufactured between weeks 8-10, and he called SonyEricsson to enquire about the problem. He reported that SonyEricsson (UK) are UNAWARE of this problem!!

I am now awaiting a third T39 to be delivered within 3 working days, and I have every confidence it will have exactly the same fault (not that I’m a pessimist you understand!). I appreciate Orange’s courteous and active response, but can’t help thinking it would make more sense for them to listen to their customers, test handsets made in this period, confirm that there IS a problem, and FIX it. Instead they continue to send out faulty replacements, which is a waste of their money and customers time. Where’s the logic??

Will keep you posted,

--Matt
i30ipaq
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-30 23:56
Just got my t39 flashed with the "standby time fix" that is on the EMMA servers. It went from 70 hours to 196.
It is a bug, there is a fix...
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-01 00:31
Thanks i30ipaq. Now all we must do is convince Orange, who CLAIM that SE have never heard of this problem. I had exactly this problem with said network regarding problematic Siemens Sl42s - they don't seem willing to listen to the plebs about the probs!

--Matt
bizwhiz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-05-01 00:43
This is just a suggestion for those people who have a 02W08, 02W09 or 02W10 T39 phone with the standby battery problem. Based on the knowledge that the manufacture of this phone was halted in March, the likelihood is that weeks 8, 9 & 10 were the final weeks of production. (Week 10 falls at the beginning of March). Therefore, the chances are that all replacement phones will be faulty also, unless there are any pre-week 8 phones left. Now with the recent news, which I mentioned in my first post, that T39 production has resumed and that delivery of the next batch is imminent here in the UK, perhaps you could insist that your service provider supply you with a replacement from this post-week 10 batch.
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-02 11:53
I'm losing patience!!

Took delivery of replacement handset today - 02w10. Tested with the fully charged battery from my other T39 and got only 73hrs. That would be ok (expected) but the new handset is dogged with faults. Starting cosmetically, the Orange logo they insist on putting on all handsets is NOT orange, but a dirty mandarin and is blurred. More importantly the flip mechanism is gritty - you can feel the springs "pinging" when you open it. Then, imagine my horror when I turned it on to find the display is broken!! It's faded and corrupted - can't display continuous lines or the different shades of greyscale in the menu icons.

I am not happy. Shall call Orange now to inform them I shall be returning my new handset, and not to bother sending another until they have decent stock.

Maccboy
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-05-05 21:56
Has anyone had their standby time problem fixed in the UK?
If so which service centre?

I've phoned around and NOBODY is aware of the problem!
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-07 11:20
This is the problem I'm having. Orange insisted they were having battery problems with the T38, but the T39 was fine!! Confused, I asked what the T38 was and was told it was "the one with the colour screen," so I assume they have confused it with the T68.

When I phoned Ericsson, the lady said she didn't know about the fault, but that they would be happy to look at it. This means sending the handset away for a week or so, which isn't feasable at the moment.

When my exams are over, I plan to write to Orange as the message doesn't seem to be getting through their call centres.

--Matt
Epedemic
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2002-05-07 11:23
t38 eh? LOL hmmm now what was that cancled model from ericsson called that were basically a t39 in other colors (and a much earlier launch date?)
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-07 11:26
Yes, I believe it was very popular on the Orange network. AHEM.
Epedemic
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2002-05-07 11:31
i've been googeling a bit and i found the t36... basically a t39 without gprs... should have been the first bluetooth phone but the r520 beat it to it... i think that was the phone i'd have gotten instead of my 6210 if it had come out... too bad ericsson

[ This Message was edited by: Epedemic on 2002-05-07 10:33 ]
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-07 11:36
LOL - now that is truly hideous!!

http://www.mobic.com/images/t36-3_look.jpg

Also, if you look at http://194.244.164.5/rataplan/img/cosebelle/t36.gif

^^Note the disproportionately long aerial!!

[ This Message was edited by: Allione on 2002-05-07 10:40 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi