Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > T39 Battery Life

Author T39 Battery Life
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-21 01:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I just got T39 on Orange (UK) and while I'm thrilled with the handset, I'm a little disappointed with the battery life. I have the BUS-11 ultra-slim battery, which SonyEricsson claim should give me 300 hrs standby and 11 hrs of talktime. However I only get 70 hours standby and 6 hours talktime after a full charge.

Orange replaced my handset, battery and charger because of this, but the new one's just as bad. The unit has only been charged three times, with no noticable improvement.

Will the battery life improve after the first few charges (as stated in the Orange manual)? Should I expect to get battery performance close to the specifications? Should I try to persuade Orange to provide me with a replacement - i.e. is my battery likely to be defective?

Any light you can shed on this matter very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

--Matt
yiz19
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-04-21 01:59
From my experience, that batt estimate is dependent on your proximity to your service provider's tower, so it's not an exact figure on the real life of the batt. In any case, my batt usually lasts 4 days. Ü

This post was posted from a T39

GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-21 03:23
My batt juice last approx 4 days. I use GPRS, SMS a lot with occasional voice calls. Im on a dual band network.

c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-21 04:24
a tips to get longer stand-by

Well, my T39 was a display unit when I bought it so the stand by is very short. When I check it out, it seem the sales personnel of the shop I visit "on" all those setting tht I didn't use.

If you off "bluetooth operation mode" --under extra --bluetooth. You get a longer stand by; If you use bluetooth, then putting it to "automatic" won't reduce the stand by so much.

If you choose the preffered service under setting -- data service from "GPRS and GSM" to "GSM only" Of course you need to keep this if you have a GPRS connection.

Then if you didn't of the screen saver, it will reduce you stand by time too, because T39 screen is a grey scale screen tht draw more energy compare to older Ericsson model. I tried to off it and it reduce my stand by from 225hrs(just charged) to 70hrs!!!

Basically my BUS-11 still manage to give me 245hrs everytime I fully charged it and the best method to maintain the battery is to occasionally used all the capacity in the b attery (meaning make it flat). FYI I use my T39 from October 2001.
jhermano
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-04-21 09:16
More than a month with my T39 and I'm getting 3 to 4 days out of my phone with some occasional GPRS use.

melk
X1 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-21 10:50
you must have the bluetooth set to "off" or "automatic" and the IR to "off".
Display sleep will improve just a bit your stanby time.
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-21 10:55
Cheers all,

Like c96sthl suggested, I've turned Bluetooth off (I never use it), along with the background. I also turned the sleep function on, but have left GPRS alone because I use that.

Typically I used to get about 2-3 days of use out of my battery, when making about 40 mins of calls, sending ~25 SMS, and ~50,000 bytes of GPRS. I guess that's not too bad. Just that my N*kia 8210 used to last for about 5 days with the same amt. calls/SMS (but not GPRS obviously). But then, it had a bigger battery.

Thanks again,

--Matt
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-21 15:45
also if you didn't use alarm and recurrent alarm. It will last longer. Although I get 245hrs in the indicator, but it drops a lot eveyr morning since I have the recurrent alarm on. after flashing the phone to R3A, I feel the indicator is kinda accurate because it never fails in giving accurate low battery warning. (example when it says it have 0hrs stand-by, it will off with-in an hour time)

If GPRS is on, the phone will be always connected to the network for data push to you or data you requested, tht's why I use more energy. Besides tht, it depends on the sim card/network you use. My old sim card was in very bad condition and it is an old 32k card, when I get an upgrd to the newer type which is 64k (sim memory), I have slightly longer stand by. In term of network, the phone manual have always stated the stand by depends on the network quality and system they were using.
twilight
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-21 17:19
Does your phones speed depends to simcard?i noticed that in my old 7110, menu speed increased when i replaced my sim with another networks simcard.i wonder if my T39 can be more faster (less slow) if i change sim coz its very slow, even i cant recognize the gprs speed.

--------------------------------------------
Please visit these mobile web sites.

Twilight Zone (twilightwap.com)

DownloadWAP (downloadwap.com)

WAP Groups(wapgroups.com)

PRODIGITS(prodigits.co.uk)

Surfwap(surfwap.com)

WAPelite(wapelite.com)

WAPmeter(wapmeter.com)

[ This Message was edited by: twilight on 2008-09-13 00:18 ]

azrey
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-21 18:58
HI all!!
I too get only as much as about 70hrs standy and about 7 hrs talktime and i did go to the service center before to change my handset then eventually my battery....but it seems that the new t39s' are the 2nd batch with much better reception than the 1st batch. With better reception...we get less standby time. A pretty good 'trade' i feel. This is what the 'knowledgeable' SC guys told me....can anyone confirm this? Ciao!
StolleJocke
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-22 09:14
Hmm with better reception shouldnt you get better standby-time?Or am i wrong?
yiz19
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-04-22 19:32
Quote:
StolleJocke wrote:
Hmm with better reception shouldnt you get better standby-time?Or am i wrong?

Yeah, I think that would be the most logical.
Cytech
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2002-04-22 19:39

Some T39 (specially those manufactured around week 10 this year) has a bug in the standbytime, resulting in that no matter which battery you use, you can't get over 70-80 hours in standbytime. has released a fix for this, so you just have to leave the phone to a servicepoint and they'll fix it in 10min
azrey
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-22 20:29
Hi all!
A bug in the software is whats causing the incorrect standy time? Is it fixed with the new r4a? CIAO!
Cytech
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2002-04-22 20:33
Quote:

On 2002-04-22 20:29, azrey wrote:
Hi all!
A bug in the software is whats causing the incorrect standy time? Is it fixed with the new r4a? CIAO!

it's not fixed with the new software... with a "Standby fix" which is available on the EMMA server the servicepoint can correct the standbytime... this fix was released quite recently... and works just fine

[ This Message was edited by: Cytech on 2002-04-22 20:37 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi