Author Samsung Galaxy S8+ Announced
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-03 18:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2017-04-03 18:36:40, aussieland1 wrote:
I agree tsepz it looks promising .

Did you have a chance to try out the phone in the store ? Just wondering what you thought of it

Nope haven't had a chance yet. I will try go in a Samsung Experience Store this coming weekend and give it a go.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-03 19:10

On 2017-04-03 18:48:06, Tsepz_GP wrote:

On 2017-04-03 18:36:40, aussieland1 wrote:
I agree tsepz it looks promising .

Did you have a chance to try out the phone in the store ? Just wondering what you thought of it

Nope haven't had a chance yet. I will try go in a Samsung Experience Store this coming weekend and give it a go.

In all honesty the phone looks amazing if not a bit bland but for me at least it's kind of more like an S7 Edge S edition rather than an S8 if that makes sense. As I mentioned earlier in this thread the screen isn't that bright which kind of takes the gloss of the looks of the thing. No doubt it'll perform great even with all the usual bloatware none Nexus/Pixel phone get. One other thing I noticed is the back glass panel covers both the laser focus and flash, if the glass was to crack could that lead to issues with the flash and focus?
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2017-04-03 18:11 ]
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2017-04-03 19:16
I believe that the extra brightness only kicks in outdoors in the sun . For the indoors the brightness seemed more than reasonable to me.

Also to me S8 looks more like the Note 7 - with the edges being flatter

I liked how twizz is now inspired from the pixel launcher with the pulling of the app drawer

Looking forward to reading your opinion tsepz
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2017-04-03 19:06 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-04 00:43

On 2017-03-30 12:33:32, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Engadget have a Hands-On with Samsung DeX, I must say it is very impressive
https://youtu.be/QA31CaL_42A

How is this impressive? Tsepz this is in no way much of an improvement over:
Motorola's 2 attempts with previous versions of Android for a Desktop Mode (1st attempt their own proprietary implementation, the 2nd supported directly in Android 5.0)
Another 2 company's made an attempt as well, cannot recall whom.
BlackBerry tried with their BB10 which really was a joke.

I feel Samsung and ever other manufacturer should've just waited for Chrome OS and Android to be evolved into a singular mobile OS before attempting this "desktop" knee-jerk vision again. The VERY FACT that Microsoft Office Suite is required to get real document editing working says something or perpetuates a negative thought on Google's own document editing services. Not ideal since Google is in competition with Microsoft in this area.

Still a dock is a dock is a dock. I'm curious why WiDi or wireless presentation for wireless Keyboard, Mouse, and Display was not integrated? Samsung could've easily shown off their LCDs/TV's and projectors to increase lateral sales and brand recognition yet didn't, curious as to why?

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-04 00:53

On 2017-04-03 14:17:25, GRANEDE wrote:
Hmmm, interes-ing read.
https://www.xda-developers.co[....]rs%2FShsH+%28xda-developers%29

Well, I'm not surprised. No matter what the blind fanboys say about the dex feature, it's bound to be a failure. Motorola tried it, other companies tried it but the implementation was mediocre. Mobile phone will continue giving crappy desktop experience no matter what the company and the dumb fanboy say. Maybe Microsoft will change thing with their Next gen "surface" phone with a really powerful processor but for now it is a huge gimmick.

Motorola did attempt a mobile phone into a desktop experience, twice actually. HP as well with Windows, which Microsoft has the lead here and is doing quite well with their implementation BUT it's the lack of vendors and success with that kindergarten child splay TILE mobile OS.

First: The processors are capable already, including the GPUs. In fast since the CPU's are RISC based and not CISC based their faster with calculations even if their threads are longer to process. Less heat, smaller in die, faster RAM than most laptops from 5-10yrs ago and unless you're using HUGE server grade Databases and Excel add-ons that need beyond pivot tables and have 100's of linked data to Shared drive spreadsheets ... you'll be fine. The advancements since Core i3/5/7 from 3rd generation has NOT benefited MS Office Suite nor browsing, nor picture editing on basic levels. Come on man Tablets are doing what an expensive $1000+ laptop was needed to do 10yrs ago!

Secondly: So long as a mobile phone OS designed to be so is THEN added or modified to present a Desktop experience then YES it will be DOOMED to fail! Right now I see the core underpinnings of iOS - based off of OS X's core - UI layer removed and replaced, amongst other components and Microsoft's Windows 10 Imbedded OS as the front runners to make a mobile OS translate desktop experience because these OS' from a programmers perspective have begun life from desktop experiences and where stripped down to be mobile experiences.

PS: Arm chips are loosely based on RISC (former server grade) CPU's.
CISC is what we've been using since the Pentium to current day in our desktops/laptops ... and as you can see from Microsoft that is ALL about to change!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Tibagy
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-04 04:35
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Unboxing: Hello, Gorgeous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29D-DTla-oU
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2017-04-04 16:01
Just tried this at Currys, they only have the S8+ next to the S7 Edge and older devices so I had a good play. So, The screen dominates everything as you'd expect but in a shop, the curved edges reflect a lot of light so you can't see what's going on which is a gripe of mine on all curved displays. In terms of width, it fits snugly in my medium sized hands and it's easy to operate in that sense. The S8+ is too tall, I couldn't stretch comfortably unless I used two hands. It feels like they should've put a normal aspect ratio and then it would've been absolutely perfect. The fingerprint scanner is poorly placed, it's too high and too close to the camera. It should be near the middle in terms of width and perhaps three quarters of the way up and away from the camera lens.

In terms of UI, due to the extra long screen it just looks odd and feels like you lose functionality since you can't reach the corners very well. I like how the LG G6 has the split screen UI, it just feels more useful than having what looks like a very long shopping list. Since the home key is at the bottom, you tend to hold hold it in a way making it top heavy and that doesn't feel good.

My personal impressions of the design were that it looks ugly from the front, I would've removed the iris scanner and put a Samsung logo on the front somewhere. I didn't like the high gloss finish either, looks very much like plastic. For my hands it's too uncomfortable but I think the S8 would be ideal and I think my first impressions would be much better had I seen that rather than the S8+. No doubt this will sell like hotcakes but I imagine people with the S7 Edge will be hesitant to make the switch, maybe they would wait for the second iteration of the new design where perhaps the position the fingerprint scanner somewhere else.

Another thing to consider is that this would be a nightmare to use with the S-pen, I'm really interested to see how the Note 8 looks but I think it needs a slim bezel and a flat screen for it to work.

I know I sound very negative but I think its only because the S8+ is too tall, from what I can tell the S8 will be much more comfortable.
[ This Message was edited by: badassmam on 2017-04-04 15:03 ]
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2017-04-04 20:21
DisplayMate reviews Galaxy S8′s display, crowns it as the best smartphone display

Https://www.sammobile.com/201[....]s-the-best-smartphone-display/

Speaking about the brightness

" can reach a peak brightness of above 1,000 nits." 😱
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-05 19:43
So that's the Display myth busted
Next is Camera (DxO) and Battery Life (GSMArena).

By the way for those who complain with regards to reaching the notification bar at the top, one of the great features in current Samsung's is the Edge Panels, one Edge Panel in Particular is the Notification Edge, you can set it to be pulled for either side of the screen at any height you want.

I currently use Notification Edge on my S7 Edge and it works beautifully

Some of these Edge Panels are incredibly useful, e.g. Data Usage Edge and Recent Files Edge, takes Multitasking to a new level as it is all Gesture driven.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-05 20:07
i like how tsepz created fake notifications to make it look like he has friends!

haha j/k man.. just kidding

that is useful for a big screen no doubt.

strange how displaymate doesn't review ALL flagship phones. seems to focus on samsung and iphone mostly with some google devices thrown in for good measure..

I'm not surprised it gets great reviews for the display. no doubt it is beautiful. it is OLED after all. my question is how they last over time. I don't know how the newer galaxies behave these days, but the older ones always developed a greenish hue over time. I always noticed it looking at friend's phones but since they looked at their phone every day they didn't notice.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-05 20:27

On 2017-04-05 20:07:28, moogoo wrote:
i like how tsepz created fake notifications to make it look like he has friends!

haha j/k man.. just kidding

that is useful for a big screen no doubt.

strange how displaymate doesn't review ALL flagship phones. seems to focus on samsung and iphone mostly with some google devices thrown in for good measure..

I'm not surprised it gets great reviews for the display. no doubt it is beautiful. it is OLED after all. my question is how they last over time. I don't know how the newer galaxies behave these days, but the older ones always developed a greenish hue over time. I always noticed it looking at friend's phones but since they looked at their phone every day they didn't notice.

Shhh nobody is supposed to know that
Honestly though, I discovered Notification Edge just the other day, lol, I cannot believe Samsung don't have this brilliant Extension preinstalled.

Reviewers like Displaymate and even DxO don't seem to prioritize Mobiles much it seems, they only focus in the most popular stuff, which is a shame, I guess they don't have all the resources and contacts to get through all the major phone manufacturers.

I find that even YouTube Reviewers like Erica Griffin only review a set few phones, especially when it comes to going in-depth.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-05 20:36
oh geez.. erica griffin. i can't believe people actually watch her dribble...

i think i watched one of her reviews a few years ago and was completely turned off by her lack of actual knowledge about the device and her "tests" which were meaningless (at least the ones I saw anyway).

if that edge notification isn't a standard feature, it certainly should be. at least as something you can turn on.

I'm sure displaymate and dxo don't have the resources to review every major flagship out there, but at the same time, they shouldn't ever claim that any one device is 'the best'. such claims can only be made if you've reviewed everything out there and in the mobile world, that means the flagships from at least the top 6 manufacturers, in my opinion.

btw, did samsung do anything to improve the camera this time around? from all i've seen/heard it's the same sensor/lens, etc. maybe software changes?
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-06 16:36
There were rumours that the S8 and S8+ were using the same Camera Sensors​ as the S7 and S7 Edge, but now it seems they are using a newer Sensors​, we will have to wait to get a teardown from iFixit and Jerry Rig Everything to confirm.

Remember that Samsung do with Sensors (ISOCELL and Sony IMX) the same they do with SoCs (Exynos and Snapdragon)

Last year the ISOCELL was the better of the 2 so I am hoping the majority of Samsungs use ISOCELL once again this year. My S7 Edge has an ISOCELL and the results have been great for me despite me not being much of a photographer.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2017-04-06 15:40 ]
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2017-04-07 09:48
@Tsepz_GP

Thank you! I never knew about Notifications Edge !
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
GRANEDE
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-04-07 14:50
http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]ury-as-trial-commences_id92867

This is ridiculous. How come the chairman of the most glorious company in the world is on the verge of being persecuted for a corruption case? This is obviously a conspiracy to bring shame in samsung reputation. I'm so sad, I'm so very very sad.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 171819  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic