Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Lumia 1020 vs 808 PV vs any potential rival.

Previous  123 ... 8910 ... 141516  Next
Author Lumia 1020 vs 808 PV vs any potential rival.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 20:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2013-10-21 17:49:35, Bonovox wrote:
@false_morel,what about these for potential comparison?? My brothers old cameras in his early days of photography interest at collage.

Am only kidding with this
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-10-21 16:49 ]

Film will never get old.. Outdated but not old..

Nikon still offers a film camera that is still in production.. I've been aiming at one since a while now, but lack of time and space is holding me back for now...

Another modern "classic" I am aiming at and think it is a must have is of course a Leica rangefinder.. But maybe will never afford one.. 9 thousands isn't sky rocket price by itself, but shelling this amount for specialty camera useful in a very specific way is way much high a price to pay..

I would rather shell 3k more and get a complete full frame professional Nikon setup with lenses covering all focal lengths except for super tele.. At 20k one would be fully covered with primes and zooms for literally all focal lengths..

Film processing simply requires more passion and devotion than developing RAWs through Lightroom (which is today's digital dark room)..
Despite film is much limiting and limited compared to digital it will always be around.

Btw, at colleges they still teach photography students how shoot to and process film..

false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 21:30

On 2013-10-21 19:34:59, cu015170 wrote:
What was your question again ?

Whether you are fake or misinformed. Though it doesn't make a lot of a difference at the end. Same resulting BS, just knowing whether you plotted it all or you truly believing it.

Here is one opinion on the matter using my newest nickname:

http://forums.wpcentral.com/n[....]mia-1020-hype.html#post2184756

Hitting every forum out there with the same propaganda.. Which proves my point above really..

Btw owning a 2006 entry level DSLR and comparing it to a 2011 compact for IQ is like comparing Pentium IV with the new iPad..

The sensor technology has moved way ahead from the 400D times. Same size, way smaller microns due to higher pixel count, way better quality and performance. Not to mention other things of course.. Low optics though not outdated.. AF system, flash sync, continuous shooting, viewfinder, magnification..
Not all of these are directly related to IQ, but they do affect the user trying to max IQ out of the camera..

Now go ahead and show us more tests..
Sylwester
Samsung Galaxy Note
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 21:53
false_morel......Would like to see done by your photo you can show me some good pictures ?

Please here on this forum! or at my e-mail
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 22:03
With good glass the XTI will still outperform the 808 in most cases.. the point was that the 808 gets close enough in certain conditions which is amazing, and it makes carrying a separate DSR for an amateur photographer kind of an overkill.

Here it is against a Nikon D800

http://sdrv.ms/17F0Hjr

Full sized and downscaled to 8mpix using lanczos

Sylwester
Samsung Galaxy Note
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 22:22
What lens was screwed to the Nikon because terrible soap along the edges of the frame.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 22:39

On 2013-10-21 21:53:21, Sylwester wrote:
false_morel......Would like to see done by your photo you can show me some good pictures ?

Please here on this forum! or at my e-mail

You mean from a cameraphone or a DSLR?

I can upload a DSLR photo on here.. I will have to remove all the private info and upload to somewhere other than Smugmug..
Sylwester
Samsung Galaxy Note
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 23:00
It can be the SLR and the smartphone. Do you want to remove the metadata? If you need to OK!
Post your pictures you want, I'm curious about your photos
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 23:17

On 2013-10-21 22:03:44, cu015170 wrote:
With good glass the XTI will still outperform the 808 in most cases.. the point was that the 808 gets close enough in certain conditions which is amazing, and it makes carrying a separate DSR for an amateur photographer kind of an overkill.

I can't tell how the 400D will exactly perform with a good glass. But one thing I'm certain of is that its sensor technology is pretty outdated in 2013. Or even in 2011! Despite that it is a CMOS, APS-C, and with decent micron size..

Here it is against a Nikon D800

http://sdrv.ms/17F0Hjr

Full sized and downscaled to 8mpix using lanczos

Exif shows Gimp as the used software.. Or at least the last used software to touch the photo.
Also it states that the originals were modified today. Not an issue though. Some software leave their marks even if just used to open and view the image.

The lens 17-35 F/2.8D was used, which comes behind many current lenses for the D800.
For that focal lens, the 14-24 would have delivered more than 50% the sharpness, and overall a significantly better quality.
Same thing for the 24-70 though the focal length of 22mm used would have been pushed a little. But the 808 has equivalent of 26 anyway. Don't know why 22mm was used.

The lens 16-35G would have done significantly better as well.

Not to mention the primes (808 has a prime lens after all), these would have been still a league ahead in terms of IQ compared to the zoom lenses mentioned above.

Then the D800 was used at ISO 400 while the 808 at ISO 64. Pretty weird for both!
ISO 64 is not a native ISO for the 808. I don't know why Nokia tends to use it that much on the phone! ISO 50 would have its benefits in certain situations where the SS wanted to be a slower. Otherwise it comes at a cost of degrading the quality and the DR. And why the heck use ISO 400 in such a condition on the D800?!

Having said that, the D800 at 8 MP is still ahead in that comparison by a big lead. Notice all the softness of the 808's image at the very center of the image on the rocks! Compared to the D800n it looks all blurry.
At full res the difference becomes even bigger of course. And this is a close range perfect lighting condition.

Even staying at same lighting conditions, but shooting a wide and far landscape, the difference would have been even bigger.
Going into any other scenario the difference in IQ would have been too vast to even talk about. Especially for instance about color bit depth for skin tone on portraits..
Then comes bokeh quality (808 doesn't even have bokeh to begin with) and other things.. These are all part of IQ not just sharpness, noise, and detail.

But this comparison is meaningless anyway. Two difference cameras for completely two different usages. And for completely different audience. A cameraphone is being compared to the best rated full frame DSLR sensor in the market at the moment. Even if not with the best glass available for the D800..

As a reminder to why this was brought up in the first place:
We were debating whether a cameraphone could be better than the other only based on IQ.
And the answer is no. Although the 808 is not ahead of the 1020 in IQ under all conditions. It's more like 50-50 depending on the scene..

But where the 1020 pulls ahead is the parts beyond IQ. What a photographer is enabled to do with the camera. Exposure parameters, and other features that allow certain things to be done. Am not gonna repeat the same points again.

But it is similar to what a DSLR for instance offer compared to a compact, and in turn what compact offer compared to a cameraphone, even a low end.

I didn't get my DSLR because of image quality. Under some conditions even a mid range compact could achieve enough satisfying result at a much lower price and less hassle.

It's about the things that allows more room for creativity and user control over the camera..
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 23:23

On 2013-10-21 23:00:21, Sylwester wrote:
It can be the SLR and the smartphone. Do you want to remove the metadata? If you need to OK!

I will what is there to share over here.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 23:40

On 2013-10-21 23:00:21, Sylwester wrote:

I will find something to share..
Sylwester
Samsung Galaxy Note
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 23:43
Highest Resolution 808 is the value of working, best to change the size of an original to a 5 or 8 megapixel

Maybe someone to do similar photo in the highest resolution DSLR and add a forum for comparison

Pictures taken with my Nokia 808
[ This Message was edited by: Sylwester on 2013-10-21 22:44 ]
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 23:44
Esato photo section is made to show what phones are capable of. Lots of people go there and look at the results of their favourate future phone. I don't think it's a good idea to fill it with "real" camera photos. I think you better use Flickr or photobucket or anything similar for that.
Sylwester
Samsung Galaxy Note
PM
Posted: 2013-10-21 23:47
You're right here, do not put pictures of the SLR, only to compare

Ok! Give me a link to your gallery or Forward a few e-mail
jestemzmiastka@wp.pl
[ This Message was edited by: Sylwester on 2013-10-21 22:52 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-10-22 00:34
I still find it quite satisfying to hold a quality camera in hand. Personally I prefer a high quality top bridge camera to DSLR. My brothers Fuji bridge camera has incredible image quality way better than the 808
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-22 01:04
I won't upload SLR photos to Esato of course.. Even phone photos I upload elsewhere. I have only three photos on Esato.

I have a Flickr account unused. Maybe it's time to use it.

And I can't share my Smugmug portfolio. I have few public galleries there, but under my full name and photos with water marks too. I'd rather stay anonymous here.

I will re-export some RAWs into JPEGs directly to Flickr from LR. And share them here.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 8910 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic