Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales

Previous  1234  Next
Author Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-10 23:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ooh, you really love this whole nit picking of peoples posts huh. Talk about defensive of a company that im guessing owes you nothing !

The whole point of mentioning Playstation is not about the fact they got hacked, but how they got hacked so very easily. And then in turn were given a relevant judgment followed by a sanction when taken to court over their inadequate security measures. Why are you banging on about Xbox ?? nobody ever mentioned them.

And please, stop trying to shove your pro-Sony nonsense down my throat. Samsung and HTC are ten times better at software support than Sony. I couldn't care less what version your budget device is running. I couldn't care less about you judging peoples opinions as contradictions. You don't actually make facts. You talk like you have the authority to determine what is a fact. You don't.

The real facts are that Sony want to play in the big league with the smartphone makers and yet release devices which have a premium feel but poor quality components inside them - and then spend significantly more time updating the devices compared to their rivals.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-10 23:41
actually they upgraded their online security big time after what happened and now always on tops of things. There was another hack attempt happened after the first major hack but they were able to informed everyone and stated no personal info was stolen withing 24 hours. It was posted on PS blog and also emails notification. The whole SNE thing was formed after the PSN hack and they have upgraded their security big time. People only look back at what happened before but their online security really tight now and probably better than most big companies. Unlike some companies like MS and their XBL fifa hack, not only that they did absolutely nothing at all and suspend people account. Even Steam and Wow accounts got hacked and ppl praised steam like it was god sent from heaven.
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-11 03:05
What do you mean by `hacked so very easily' ? How you define easy ? Adobe got hacked, why don't you say the same `hacked so very easily'? XBOX, Microsoft got hacked as well. Aren't they hacked easily ? You are contradicting much in your statements. Please be consistent.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-10-11 10:49

On 2013-10-10 23:25:46, etaab wrote:

And please, stop trying to shove your pro-Sony nonsense down my throat. Samsung and HTC are ten times better at software support than Sony.

We were talking about Sony and SE updates remember? You were the one who made the statement that SE provided better updates. I replied complete with examples on why I think Sony has currently provided better updates than SE. Now you are once again steering things away from your original post. Samsung and HTC was never mentioned, and I never said that Sony is better than them I was simply saying that Sony isn't as bad as what your post makes it look like.

The real facts are that Sony want to play in the big league with the smartphone makers and yet release devices which have a premium feel but poor quality components inside them

poor quality components? you sure? proof please? here are some "real facts" about Z1 specifically:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-xperia-z1-gets-its-first-teardown-treatment/

Teardown revealed Z1 uses Samsung chips inside

Z1 uses Sony Camera sensor, Samsung and Apple had also used Sony camera sensors in their flagship phones.

Processor is a snapdragon S800, which is what LG G2 uses, and Note 3 too and afaik there will also be an S4 having snapdragon s800.

Z1 is very far from what you generally call having "poor quality components" when it's hardware is pretty much exactly the same as others except the first batch of screens. It currently even has one of the best camera on an Android phone (not just my opinion, see samples on Z1 photo thread Link).

Other phones/phablets like the Z and ZU are pretty much the same, they use components same as other manufacturers. If there ever was any difference, it'll be minor and usually not related to build quality, but just benchmarks

You think I'm defending Sony? I'm simply replying with the basis of facts that's all. Sony is still far from the market share of Samsung and Apple, hence they are aiming for third. But they are not what you call as "poor quality components" "hacked so very easily" "quality has done nothing but dropped".
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-10-11 10:25 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-11 17:16
Going back on topic, I think their goal is pretty realistic. LG and some chinese companies are their competitor to be number 3. Gaining ground in the Chinese market is probably their biggest goal. India has also become an important market for them.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-11 22:36

On 2013-10-11 03:05:46, MyP910 wrote:
What do you mean by `hacked so very easily' ? How you define easy ? Adobe got hacked, why don't you say the same `hacked so very easily'? XBOX, Microsoft got hacked as well

Because we aren't talking about Microsoft. Also, in the court ruling if you read that link..

"The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) ruled the breach of information ‘could have been prevented’ if better security measures had been in place.

ICO deputy commissioner David Smith said there is ‘no disguising that this is a business that should have known better’.

‘In this case that just didn’t happen, and when the database was targeted – albeit in a determined criminal attack – the security measures in place were simply not good enough.

‘It is a company that trades on its technical expertise, and there’s no doubt in my mind that they had access to both the technical knowledge and the resources to keep this information safe.’
"

The point being, they could have made it far harder to get anything from their network. When really, they all but served it up on a plate to the criminals.

But then I expect nothing less than ignorance to those facts as per the norm.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-12 12:01
What do you expect the court to say ? Do you expect them to say "the security is tight, but it is very unfortunate the system got hacked" The court statements are the textbook statements. Everybody will say the same to all other systems that got hacked. That statements don't mean that the PSN can be hacked easily and far from "serve up on the plate to the criminals" and this is not to indicate that sony never invest huge money for security. You are so wrong.

Maybe you don't understand how computer system work. I will repeat again, any system in this world can be hacked. Microsoft and adobe got hacked, and to use the word by the court, "those can be prevented if better security measures had been in place." Does it means those system got hacked so very easily? No. Does it means those system serve the plate to the criminals? No. Does it means those company do not invest heavily on security ? No.
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2013-10-12 13:56

Samsung and HTC are ten times better at software support than Sony.

False.

admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-10-12 17:13

On 2013-10-12 13:56:55, >500 wrote:

Samsung and HTC are ten times better at software support than Sony.

False.

Why false? It's been a month since Z1 release and it still didn't recieve the so called "BIONZ" update. It doesn't support 4K video, updates take way too long. I don't see this problem on Samsung or HTC.
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-12 17:23
wasnt there a day 1 firmware update for z1. Not the final camera update but it was update
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-12 18:29
I got firmware update on my Z1 in about 1-2 days after buying it. 1-2 days is not long to me and I've never seen any other phone update this fast.
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-12 18:45
my S3 had like 3 updates in that I can remember, it crash whenever I copy text and it wasnt patch for a long long time until the multi screen patch comes out.
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-10-12 22:23

On 2013-10-12 18:29:32, MyP910 wrote:
I got firmware update on my Z1 in about 1-2 days after buying it. 1-2 days is not long to me and I've never seen any other phone update this fast.

Yeah but it was more a bugfix rather than update. I mean, my Xperia T is only a 1 year old phone, it was released with ICS 4.0 but it should come with 4.1.2 straight. Sony released 4.1.2 6 months later, and now, there probably won't be another update. A third version of Android after 4.1.2 is coming, I mean come on!

If Sony plans to be third largest phone maker, they need to sort this shit. Also they need to be serious with quality check. The reports of some Z1 units having bad screen, blurred camera, and now overheating problem. They go for the record here.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-12 22:28
This week ZTE said they want to be nr3
To be honest i think they got a better shot, because they stol most of their R&D, they got connection all over the world (corruption and lobby work, like samsung), and they can produce their phones cheaper (and with less quality).

So i gues its nr 4 for Sony, or maby even lower if Motorola finally starts to use the full potential of google
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-13 00:28
Any report on how the Xperia Z1 has sold so far? It's been out a month now hasn't it? The sales of the Z1 and Z Ultra would give us a good indication of whether Sony are on the way to meeting their goal.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi