Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales

1234  Next
Author Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 18:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Sony Mobile Communications is a brand new company formed after the Sony Ericsson split, but it has the Sony brand and the ambition to become the world’s third largest phone maker “not in 10 years’ time, but a lot sooner.” Currently, Sony Mobile has a 6.5% to 7% of the market by value.

Sony head of sales and marketing Dennis van Schie hopes the company would be able to capture 20% of all Android sales, currently dominated by Samsung, with a huge combined presence of ‘other’ Chinese white box makers.

All of this will allegedly be possible because of the huge synergies emerging after the Sony Ericsson split. The Swedish Japanese joint venture existed from 2001 to 2011, and brought some iconic handsets, but could not leverage Sony’s key technologies.

The situation has changed radically since the new company was formed.

“Even if we thought we were part of Sony, all the hard-core technological assets that were available—applications, services, the hardware, like the sensors—were not really made available to us,” van Schie said. “It was not a competitive advantage at that time. Now it is. It clearly is.”

The executive said a screen made for Sony’s TV business “was optimized for mobile” just six months later. Also, Sony Mobile now allegedly has early access to its parent company’s camera sensors used by many in the industry.

“Where we leverage—and this is a big change from the past—the sales and marketing infrastructure of Sony. For example, in India. I was responsible for product development on the technological side at Sony Ericsson. We had a team of 25, 30 people, and to get to the mom-and-pop stores out there in a massive, complex and vast country like India is very risky.”

With those R&D and sales synergies, Sony Mobile might well achieve its goal. It’s scored solid growth in the past few quarters, and in just a couple of weeks we’ll see how it did in the third quarter of 2013.

PhoneArena
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-03 21:49
Ericsson was nr 3 and on its way to become nr 2.

But then the CEO and some board of directors said its better to make a jointventure with Sony, they promis us money and technology. Technology like MSD and we can use their branding (for a price)
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 22:30
There is no reason to look back to the ericsson days, just look at all the brands that came and went.
Sony wants to be at Nr;3 that's an ambition we can only encourage.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-10-06 18:33
IMO Sony is better now than Sony Ericsson was. Yes SE made great devices but they went through a bad time with their buggy phones and poor build. Sony seems to be improving their quality from what I see. Why do people keep harping back to the SE days?? It's over move on nothing you can do about it now.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-06 20:48
Are you nuts ? the quality has done nothing but dropped since they dropped Ericsson. Sony, which have always been one of my favourite brands simply put made terrible phones before they got into bed with Ericsson.

I don't know about you, but I don't remember having a "screen lottery" with SE. I also remember getting better firmware updates with SE.

Sony I would love to see in a top spot. Id love to see them best Samsung, but I have no faith in them as they make continuously bad mistakes. The fact they let their Playstation Network get hacked with careless security measures illustrates their poor decision making.

Ive not seen a Z1 yet, but from the amount of complaints and problems ive read on this site and others again doesn't give me much confidence in them.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 00:46
DELETED
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-10-07 09:58 ]
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 07:32
@ etaab

calling someone nuts is uncalled for just because they don't agree with your opinion, that's just utter disrespect. Plus you are calling someone nuts when you yourself admittedly haven't even seen or tried a Z1, yet you have so many bad things to say about it already

SE getting better updates? proof please? During SE their Android phones were even late to support multitouch afaik.

Sony has been decent with the updates ever since the Z released, plus most of their midrange handsets got updated too, my Xperia Go runs Jellybean smooth and stable and guess what the Xperia Go is the cheapest waterproof smartphone from Sony yet it's updated nicely.

Furthermore, try reading the Z1 thread, complaints came from people who does not even have it. The esato members who now have Z1 says otherwise and proves that the negative points about Z1 are just exaggerated and are not literally as bad as it sounds. Even in the Z1 photo thread you can see that it takes great pictures conflicting other reviews from review sites stating otherwise.

What's the playstation network getting hacked got to do with Sony smartphones? Guess what, Microsoft's Xbox live accounts got hacked too. Anybody can hack into anything if they really want to. So does that mean Microsoft too have "careless security measures" as you said?

There's just one thing that I agree with your post and that is the screen lottery, but that has also been exaggerated imo, even if you got the bad panel, it's not bad, in fact it is still better than the Z. You still get accurate colors with a much wider color gamut, sharp display. Only thing you don't get is wide viewing angles.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-10-07 06:36 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-07 09:39
There's nothing wrong with calling someone nuts

The quality of Sony phones isn't as good as SE (or Ericsson), this is just a fact.
Don't all focus on the Xperia Z, they sell a lot more phones, and appart from being overprised they all look the same.
Sony is boring and i'm not seeing any innovation, back in the old days they brought new things every year, but now... nothing.

I think he pointed out the Sony playstation network as an example of a half finished product. Ever since the company changed in the early 2000, Sony has never been the same.

And as for the updates, well the last update i had for the Xperia T made the cam quality bad and the phone a lot slower.
I'm hoping the new upcomming update (when ever that is) will improve that.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 11:59

On 2013-10-07 09:39:12, bart wrote:

The quality of Sony phones isn't as good as SE (or Ericsson), this is just a fact.

Sony is boring and I'm not seeing any innovation, back in the old days they brought new things every year, but now... nothing.

Can you please elaborate more on this? I would be glad to be proven wrong. I had an Hazel, in two years it got bricked for no reason, so I wouldn't exactly say has better quality than Sony, plus Elm/Hazel has both the lines issue in lowlight picture which was quite annoying, even though it did take good pictures in daylight, it was horrible having those lines issue taking lowlight pictures. Those are present in every Elm/Hazel handset.

What kind of innovation are you looking for in Sony? Right now there's Triluminous screens and finally flagship specs on an android phone, also including better sensor tech, to be able to produce comparable images against 1020 especially in lowlight while all in a slim waterproof smartphone is impressive and innovative in my opinion.

During the days of SE, their flagship phones like the X10 and Arc are quite behind the competition, the X10 not even having multitouch which is important for android apps. The Arc having specs inferior to the competition which was important back then because Android was still a little bit heavy for a single core phone during it's days.

If you're referring to the days of cameraphones k800, k810, c901, c905, then true those were the golden days of SE, but after that nothing innovative came from them either. SE cameraphones were great in taking pics but lacks good video recording, even the Satio only records in VGA while the competition already has HD recording.

There's also k850 getting bricked, and initially the software was not fine tuned, causing pics with Xenon flash being underexposed because of wrong flash timing. Although it was fixed later on, SE also had it's share of problems during it's time.

Now I'm not against SE, I actually miss my Hazel, but still overall I find Sony right now is in a right direction, we will see what will happen.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-10-07 11:15 ]
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 12:26
I too think Sony is moving in the right direction. I'm impressed with the Z and while I too like SE, I sometimes felt that they didn't have the full might of Sony behind them.

Now, with Xperia, we have access to Sony's imaging and screen technologies and Playstation mobile too, which has some good quality mobile games. They're using good quality materials and introduced waterproofing as almost a standard feature on its higher end phones.

bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-07 12:35
There's no need to look at the smartphones that SE produced during the final days. They had to launch unfinished products to keep up with the others.
Reason for that was they ended symbian UIQ instead of pushing it forward.
The glory and innovation days started with the T610 and continued for a long time, but every time Sony was holding them back. They couldn't ge the latest sensors or cam modules, they had to use MSD and later on M2.
At the end they didn't really know which direction they wanted to take, thats why they launched products with unfinished UI's and firmware.

I right now have an Xperia T for less then a year, and the screen is full of scratches, i really take care of my phones, i used a P1 for many (many, many) years and the screen still looks fine. Even my P800 was still good, even though the buttons pressed down on the screen.

So in terms of quality they aren't really trying enough. I agree having phones which are ip57 is good, but thats easely done because they are so thin.

What kind of innovation am i looking for? Well everything they launched so far excisted in the early 2000's. Ericsson had more (working) prototypes then phones. So what they had back then excists now.
What do we need imo, the next gen of battery's or we might even skip that part and go to the gen beyond that. An AI so the phone will be more then just a tool, an really screen based on (a nokia pattent) that will repair itself. Flexible phones (like samsung is finally launching), better cams (quality, amount of mp, infra red filming, ...), there are so many things that can be improved.

And while Sony seems to be on the right track i would say, look to the others, none of them is really pushing hard.
Small company's like Jolla, and Yota, they are still pushing hard to get a phone on the market with some innovation.
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 12:43
I wouldn't agree that SONY is as bad as etaab states it is.I do understand his POV though..for someone who respects SONY its sad to see that they aren't as good as SAMSUNG.
BUT SONY is making some beautiful phone with great specs..all they are lacking is that X factor..that 100%.Screen lottery is an issue.i would like to see SONY make a phone with every one having an equally good screen and acceptable by all.That's when SONY will have gone one step forward.Right now they are making nice phones but are a step behind SAMSUNG.But they are on the right path and they have the potential to get right on top in a very short time
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 12:45
I 100% agree with reeflotz. Sony is getting better and has shown tremendous innovation in all their products. Is it a surprise when PSN being hacked? No. Every single software can be hacked. It is just a matter of whether you want to hack or not. Hey, adobe just being hacked. Saying adobe is unfinished product is absurd.

In terms of innovation, I think Sony is the only company that innovate.

QX10 and QX100 are innovations.
Triluminous display that uses quantum dot technology is innovation
Able to use pencil on capacitive touchscreen is innovation
Able to squeeze in good lens in a slim profile is innovation
Vaio tap 11 with Intel haswell processor in a slim profile is innovation
Smartwatch is innovation
PlayStation 4 is innovation

.....more. I don't see any other company that innovative as Sony. Most of them just recycle their products.

and, I'm puzzled when people say Samsung is ahead. What has Samsung done that make them ahead in terms of innovation ? AMOLED is not that great. The screen is unusable under bright sunlight and the colour is not accurate. Sony OLED screen as seen on PS Vita is much better. Samsung camera is even worst compared to Sony. Samsung design is also not good (not beautiful). ( I know this is subjective, but I believe many people agree with me on this). Samsung smartwatch is way behind Sony. Sorry, I couldn't find any innovation from Samsung that make them ahead of sony.
[ This Message was edited by: MyP910 on 2013-10-07 12:52 ]
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 13:57
@bart

I agree on that MSD and M2, I also hated it, although I think Sony seemed to realize now that it's better to stick with microSD and MicroUSB instead of the annoying fastport . Anyway MyP910 summed up the innovation nicely on what Sony has currently brought to the table and slowly integrating it on the Xperias.

@ranjith

I also agree that Sony needs to iron out the remaining problems/complaints on their mobile.

On the other hand their Playstation seems to be perfectly ironed out right now, they literally fixed everything the PS3 was lacking and I'm waiting for the same thing to happen with their Xperias.
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 14:20
I can't really agree or disagree with most here, whole lot of good points made BUT:

MyP910

Rather just say you are blind to any other innovations other than Sony's, rather than say nobody else is as innovative as Sony. We've got Samsung creating ever faster, more efficient memory chips going into many manufacturers phones, we've got both LG and Samsung working on Flexible displays which could bring us a whole new generation of devices, especially wearable devices. Nokia making ever more brilliant Camera advancements.
We've got Apple, Samsung, Google and Microsoft all taking huge leaps to bring Education to developing countries using mobile (smartphones and tablets) through innovative ways with their SW and HW-this is MAJOR! I could go on as if you really open your eyes you'll see plenty of innovation around.
You are actually so naive it's unbelievable and rather sad. I know you seem to totally dislike and dismiss anything not Sony, but you simply can't just try dismiss other company's efforts.

Don't bother to reply to this, I'd be better off talking to a brick wall it seems.

The rest

We actually had a good discussion going here. I have to agree that Sony in some aspects have made great improvements from SE, I'm glad that Sony do actually update their phones, as compared to the X10 days, and their design and build quality has seen a great overhaul from the days of the SE W850, with cracking keypads and so on. Sony are headed in the right direction but I'd like to see some major fixing in the following before I get another Sony phone:

1. No more screen lottery
2. 32GB flagship variants
3. Easying on the post processing in pics
4. Launching with the very latest available Android version e.g. I wish the Z1 And Z Ultra came with 4.3 out-the-box

Sony have the potential, I wish they'd just go all out and blow us all away as they did with SE with the P800, the K750/W800, K800 etc... I'd happily comeback.

Cheers!
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi