Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales

Previous  1234  Next
Author Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 14:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Tsepz_GP,

Personally I don't consider improving semiconductor speed according to Moore's law is innovation. Its a given due to the scaling down of transistors. Everybody in the semiconductor businesses will do the same. While, flexible display can be considered as innovation, I will reserve that until it is released. After all, there might be some other companies doing it including Sony. Finally, smartphones and tablets are made by so many company including Sony. To me, innovation is something more than that, some breakthrough. Yeah, flexible display is innovation, but still in prototype stage.

btw, I'm not dislike of dismiss anything but sony, I'm just pointing out the innovations brought by Sony. The list that I provided is just a few from many more innovations made by sony (some even not successful due to various reason).
[ This Message was edited by: MyP910 on 2013-10-07 13:50 ]
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 15:05
Did I miss something or comparing SE to Sony doesn't make sense at?

Same team and engineers are still making doing the same work..
Had they kept doing it under SE or now under Sony makes no difference to the end consumer I think.. We'd still get the Xperia Z and Z1 and Z Ultra..
Acquiring Ericsson and taking full control over the mobile department had a business motive as far as I know..

Same as it stands now with Nokia and MS.. Same people will keep doing what they have been doing.. Maybe in this case with an exception that Nokia's team will get full access to WP code and permission to do more with it..
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 15:14
Well not really. You wouldn't get the Z Ultra, Z1 if it was still SE.

It's been a little over a year since all product R&D has been moved to Tokyo, Japan. The "old" SE team in Sweden only takes care of software now.

false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 19:13

On 2013-10-07 15:14:25, randomuser wrote:
Well not really. You wouldn't get the Z Ultra, Z1 if it was still SE.

It's been a little over a year since all product R&D has been moved to Tokyo, Japan. The "old" SE team in Sweden only takes care of software now.

Yeah moved meaning, new labs same people or new team as well?

Because I doubt the engineers working on hardware R&D in the SE era are now all gone and a new team in Japan deployed..
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 19:22
A new team as well. Plus a lot of people from other Sony electronics division are also involved in phone development now.

Most of the SE hardware team was laid off in Sweden soon after the SE acquisition. Only the software team remains now. There was even a thread on that news here I believe.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2013-10-07 18:24 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 23:09
@ reeflotz - I must assume that Bonovox deleted his posted because he reacted negatively to my choice of words, of which no offence was meant. Its just a saying, which often I forget a joke or light hearted comment can be misinterpreted when reading simple text on a screen as there is no emotion involved. If so im sorry to him for him thinking it be that way..

However I still stand by everything I said. SE used to fix firmware issues in their phones quickly if it was a problem which could potentially present itself as a bad bug. Also they started to receive good quality updates when the fast port came about. I understand Android is much more complicated than my K750i was, but then also that it should technically be much more easier to fix issues or deliver updates. But Sony struggle to do so, often delivering Android updates many months after their competitors and often barely in time for the next Android release.

So Sony has had a decent run of updates since the Z ? so we're talking less than a year then. That's not a long time to evaluate Sony in comparison to a company like Samsung which actually do release timely updates.

As for complaints over the Z and Z1, I do read those threads daily and they are full of people with complaints, or hopes of updates which never come, or hopes of getting a phone with a good screen. Ergo the screen lottery. Those that do own the phone do moan about it and hope they get an update or are considering exchanging their phone for another in the hope of getting a better screen. As for pictures from the Z1's camera, ive seen those samples and not been impressed once. They were really that bad.

Regarding Sony as a whole, they have always charged more for their products than other companies. A flat screen Sony tv usually costs about 25% more than a competitors equivelant, usually has less features and is of poorer quality. My local TV repair store which is owned by a man who has fixed tv sets for about 30 years who is on the edge of retirement, well his opinion was that Sony tvs are basically cheap plastic over priced rubbish. His words not mine. The Playstation network is a perfect example of how Sony cut yet another corner with lower security measures than Microsoft. Which is why they faced a heavy fine and got taken to court by quite a few users of their services.

I know you Sony fans are all highly hostile to anyone who dares think anything against Sony, but its the truth. Sony have a good thing going but they always find a way to spoil everything they do.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-07 23:23
In a way this is funny. In the good old days it was Ericsson fans vs Nokia fans.
Today its like Ericsson vs SE vs Sony
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 23:34
True, but I always have considered myself completely on the fence when it comes to branding.

I just look at what is the best for me at that point in time and buy it without any loyalty to the brand.

Nokia used to make the best phones imo, then SE, then back to Nokia, now Samsung. Im sure in a couple of years time it'll be Motorola (Google) or even LG.

I just cannot live in a cloud of ignorance, I cannot follow one company in the hope they turn out the best. I honestly couldn't care less if Samsung went bankrupt tomorrow. Im sure when my contract is up for renewal next year there would be a competitor product which took my eye. To me its all healthy competition which is good, the only time I will genuinely slag off a manufacturer is when they want to go about underhand or bad business practices such as Apple - e.g attempting to sue the ass off everyone and prevent their products from reaching the market and therefore winning by default as the customer has no choice what to buy.

Apple need to go out of business, the rest i'll happily play with. Apple have no repsect from me. Steve Jobs ? couldn't care less, he was nothing short of an irrational megalomaniac !
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2013-10-07 22:35 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-10-07 23:56
From what I have seen and experienced Sony has improved a lot since SE days. Better build is one of them. The recent drop test proved that on Android Authority where after 3 drops the Z1 never cracked but the Note 3 did. Their updates have become more frequent as I have seen of late fixing issues quickly. There's a huge difference in performance between the Xperia S,Xperia T and Z,Z1. A friend of mine who is not biased towards Sony says his Z1 is a massive improvement in terms of camera,battery life,no lag and build. Doesn't anyone remember the SE days where phones were extremely buggy,had poor build and phones often fell apart?? That happened a lot with SE even though I loved them they went downhill after the k800i
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-08 00:16

On 2013-10-07 23:34:39, etaab wrote:
True, but I always have considered myself completely on the fence when it comes to branding.

I just look at what is the best for me at that point in time and buy it without any loyalty to the brand.

Nokia used to make the best phones imo, then SE, then back to Nokia, now Samsung. Im sure in a couple of years time it'll be Motorola (Google) or even LG.

I just cannot live in a cloud of ignorance, I cannot follow one company in the hope they turn out the best. I honestly couldn't care less if Samsung went bankrupt tomorrow. Im sure when my contract is up for renewal next year there would be a competitor product which took my eye. To me its all healthy competition which is good, the only time I will genuinely slag off a manufacturer is when they want to go about underhand or bad business practices such as Apple - e.g attempting to sue the ass off everyone and prevent their products from reaching the market and therefore winning by default as the customer has no choice what to buy.

Apple need to go out of business, the rest i'll happily play with. Apple have no repsect from me. Steve Jobs ? couldn't care less, he was nothing short of an irrational megalomaniac !
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2013-10-07 22:35 ]

I'm the same. If Samsung were to be dethroned as the best by another OEM who brings something totally new and better, I'd gladly jump ship. I can't be loyal to a company, that's just plain stupid, what I can do is give my money to the company that's creating the best product at the time.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-08 00:50
Bonovox you compaire Xperia S, T and Z1 with each other? Ofcourse there's improvement. Every time basic things are updated, more ram, cpu, gpu, battery mAh, ...
Its like comparing K700-750-800
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-10-08 01:51
Yes but people keep saying nothing has changed with Sony but I don't see it that way
Phone?? What phone??
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-10-08 05:48
@ Etaab

On 2013-10-07 23:09:39, etaab wrote:
So Sony has had a decent run of updates since the Z ? so we're talking less than a year then. That's not a long time to evaluate Sony in comparison to a company like Samsung which actually do release timely updates.

So you simply contradicted yourself, it took less than a year for Sony to provide a decent run of updates. While SE, their Android handsets were stuck for about a year even more than that.

Also:

you criticize Sony with their updates right now

then when Sony provided timely updates with the Z (not only Z, but other recent Sony handsets as well), you make an excuse by saying:

it's too early to evaluate Sony now,

again contradicting yourself.

Why be quick to criticize and say "hopes of updates which never come" when you yourself said it's too early to evaluate them now?

You're not impressed by Z1 pictures, fine its your opinion, I'll just leave it at that.

Can you please elaborate more on this statement?

"The Playstation network is a perfect example of how Sony cut yet another corner with lower security measures than Microsoft."

Can you please provide proof that they did indeed cut corners? If you can't then that statement is nothing but baseless conjecture. Even if you say it's just your opinion and how you see things, it is still baseless. You call it the "perfect example" yet you are being vague on how exactly did it have lower security than microsoft?

As we said earlier Microsoft got hacked, Adobe got hacked, if we go by your logic then Adobe and Microsoft too cut corners. Even credit cards identity theft exists, so does that mean those also cut their corners in security? I also stand by my statement that anything can be hacked as long as anyone has the time and effort to hack it.

debate is good but I'd like more proof/consistency on these statements you said, screen lottery is indeed an issue I agree on that.

Also another contradiction in your statement:

"I understand Android is much more complicated than my K750i was, but then also that it should technically be much more easier to fix issues or deliver updates."

How can Android be technically easier to fix when you yourself said Android is much more complicated?

[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-10-08 05:04 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-09 23:23
Unfortunately, I haven't contradicted myself once. Clearly you don't spend any amount of time reading the news. The problem with Sony is, they never invest enough money in providing good customer service, support and security.

The beauty of Android is that its relatively simple to install on any hardware which is compatible. What takes companies so long to update their devices is when their custom apps, skins and launchers have to be customised or optimised. Devices which run plain vanilla versions of Android tend to get updated much faster.

Unless you invest in your devices post sale. I would be interested to see the numbers of software engineers who work on Samsung's products after release, versus Sony's. I can imagine there being quite a large difference in numbers.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-10-10 07:07
So you only searched for the Playstation hacked, clearly you don't spend any amount of time reading the other news as well. According to these articles, Microsoft themselves admitted they got hacked, and it's high profile employees account that were hacked too:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4125886/microsoft-confirms-high-profile-employee-xbox-live-accounts-hacked

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/20/microsoft-xbox-live-accounts-hacked/

So your point? The same thing happens to Microsoft yet you ignored it. Try to be fair on your judgements please and once again I repeat, even credit card identity theft happens which is worse. You are simply cherry picking bad news from Sony.

As for support, guess what, the playstation 2 is the longest in production console, even in it's 10nth year there were still games made for it, that is what you call support.

Microsoft on the other hand cut online support earlier on the original Xbox and you can't transfer your original Xbox information to the 360

Can I transfer information from my original Xbox console to an Xbox 360 console?

No. Unfortunately, you can’t move information from your original Xbox console to an Xbox 360 console.

Source

Anyway enough of that, I still don't get what does the Playstation have to do with Sony aiming for 3rd largest phone manufacturer? You're steering things offtopic.

in this statement of yours:

Unless you invest in your devices post sale.

I once again repeat, midrange Sony handsets also got updated to Jellybean, my Go got updated even though it's the cheapest waterproof smartphone from Sony. Sony flagships as of now got timely updates, you cannot deny that fact, and I believe that falls on the category as "investing in your devices post sale". That also proved how much better the update policy Sony has now compared to the days of x10, contradicting your statement that SE had better update policy.

Sony isn't as bad as you make it sound like, There are many things you don't see and only looked for bad things in Sony, I pointed a lot of contradictions in your earlier post specifically, and I don't see any specific response coming from you with regards to that. You're all being vague and steering the topic to Playstation being hacked which has got nothing to do about , or Sony mobile, how it fared compared to it's past, and how will it fare to become 3rd largest phone maker.

Sony is aiming for 3rd spot in mobile sector, too early for you to expect them to beat Samsung or Apple. I think you need to keep that in mind.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-10-10 08:08 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi