Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Android TipToe or Dive into the Deep end

Author Android TipToe or Dive into the Deep end
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-06 05:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi Guys,

I need some serious expertise, guidance and help with going form iPhone 4S to Android. I'm a Mac OS X Lion user by night and Win7 64-bit worker bee by day (I.T.) - keep the OSX user as best

Disclaimer: I've used various smartphones in the past ranging from UIQ [P900], Nokia S60 [6620, E71, N85], PocketPC Standard 6.1 [Motorola Q9h] RIM BlackBerry the longest [7290, 8310, 8820, 9100, 9120, 9700/9780/9900], and finally iOS.

My initial goals are:

Transfer all PIM information (Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Tasks), all currently in iOS via iCloud/OSX USB/WiFi sync.
    Setup of iCloud POP3 email onto Android device.
    Find a LOT of cool ringtones (or will my existing MP3/MP4 tracks suffice?)
    Transfer media (Pictures, Movies in MP4/H.264 format, and music including Playlists from iTunes)

Day to Day use:
how is memory used with multitasking of applications?
how is storage used with saving data from Applications, media storage, and day to day use?
Can all Android phones be used as a desktop OS when connected to a TV over HDMI like what Moto's Droid series can do?
Can I use any Android as a reliable Alarm Clock where successive snooze buttons can be used (and duration of snoozing can be set by me in advance)?
Can I set reminders to alert me based on WiFi/GPS Connection/Location (respectively) triggered upon change?
I want to be able to track speed, estimated heart rate for running (something new i'll be taking up this fall).

Music:

I ... LOVE .... MUSIC! Taking public transit just about everyday ; so drowning out the nonsense of others will be critical. The quality of the bass, warmth in the mids, and the crisp sound of jazzy trumpets must ALL be surpreme and clear, no crackling while listening to headphones or over speakers. Moreover, I'd love to drop in a beat on-the-fly using a similar range of applications that I enjoy on my IP4S.
iSequence & DrumSeq (I'd LOVE to find Android versions of these or alternatives that offer more features)!

Work Day Use:
Email Folders: I'd like to collapse folders (Inbox sub-folders or mailbox folders with sub-folders). Those of us working in I.T. with any worth of our salts KNOWS by training not to treat your mailbox like a filing cabinet: but that's the nature of business until SharePoint is configured perfectly in SharePoint Server 2010.
BONUS: Ability not only to access SharePoint 2010 sites, but to check In/Out documents, upload documents (assign notifications/permissions),

Ability to access Calendar's of Shared Mailboxes (think Outlook 2010).

Device(s):
Quality is what I'm after, I'd like to own this future smartphone for 12mths and not once look at it thinking I didn't get my money's worth due to horrible construction, easily attainable scuff marks etc. Furthermore I cannot enjoy a smartphone if it's not smart enough to last the full work day. Although I take calls less often during the day on my smartphone - I'll be looking at a 6hr minimum now to compensate business calls and personal calls (friends/my son/sister/dad).

I'm eyeing the Motorola RAZR HD, Sony TX, mystery next nexus?
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-10-06 06:06
As per your query about Android phones being used as PCs, yes it can be done, Sony Ericsson / Sony support hdmi and with a live dock support usb devices. I have a live dock for my neo v and it's awesome. I have a wireless mouse,. keyboard and PS3 controller all attached. It works exactly like a desktop pc as per scrolling and has a mouse pointer so yes it can, as long there is hdmi support on board you will be fine!!!
ILoveBhe
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-10-06 14:39
just pick the king of all androids...the SGS3
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-06 15:14
Thanks Guys ... still looking for data transfer guidance regarding PIM. I previously had an Xperia Arc yet couldn't migrate my data over, so I'll need some help with that.

SGSIII; not on my list nor will be - I hate the design of that product; if I wanted a pebble I'd carry one (inspiration for design is a pebble).
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
ILoveBhe
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-10-06 16:20
ouch, still jmo s3 is still the best android phone
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-10-06 18:00
Go for a Note 2 and try this : http://www.tomshardware.com/n[....]Android-Samsung-App,16113.html
[ This Message was edited by: rikken on 2012-10-06 19:19 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-06 18:42

On 2012-10-06 16:20:54, ILoveBhe wrote:
ouch, still jmo s3 is still the best android phone

Best for you, not for me and by the numbers for many android users. Let's stick with that and not derail my thread asking for help into true elitist fanboyism, please.

I found this for transfering/syncing media ...

user aysiu from this site stated:
I use iSyncr to sync my iTunes music, playlists, and play counts from my Mac to my Android phone. I use the Gmail app for personal email and the Email app for Exchange. On my Mac I use Firefox for web browsing, and on my phone I use Dolphin HD. None of my browser info syncs up between the two.
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-06 20:12

On 2012-10-06 05:52:53, Hardened wrote:

Can all Android phones be used as a desktop OS when connected to a TV over HDMI like what Moto's Droid series can do?

You won't regret buying the RAZR HD for that matter. No other brand has such kind of feature ( but you need multimedia dock ). 2012 Xperias ( the TX you are mentioning ) just launch some primitive start screen after pluging the hdmi cable, which does nothing more than give you a few shortcuts to your most used applications. From there you can also go to your normal phone home screen and do whatever you want + ability to work with mouse and keyboard via USB OTG cable ( but not PC-desktop like Motorola; most of the current Android phones can do that as well, so nothing spectacular here ). Don't look at Sony's docks, they are just desk stands, don't give you any extra features, nor ports, aka useless shit. Absolutely not worth the money, I can do a better one myself at home for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIIuPu3UZk

I really like Motorola's design as well! It's really on par with Samsung's and HTC's flagships, and the only one that doesn't have physical buttons at the front out of the three mentioned. However, Motorola proves that the lack of physical buttons doesn't equals ugly bland design, as Sony tries to convince us. Motorola also uses vanilla Android UI, much better than Sony's depressing black ugly skin. You can also take a look at this - http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=204589 - that's what I call good product support. We all know what does sony do with OS updates - f*cks them up. Just take a look what they did with 2011 Xperias ( even the flagship - the Arc ). Battery - 2,530mAh on the RAZR HD vs 1750 mAh on the TX ( + crappy battery management ).

If you're hesitating between RAZR HD or Xperia TX, the first one is the right choice.
[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2012-10-06 19:45 ]
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-07 04:26
Thanks for the update Mediar.

Unfortunately Motorola is cancelling the WebTop Laptops and the WebTop UI when docked; going the same way as other Android manufacturers where its just a floating semi augmentable dock. No more full Linux Desktop applications ... considering a) Motorola has a few layoffs more soon, and b) huge financial support by Google parent, it seems that Android 5 will be a major overhaul having a FULL Linux desktop experience when certain devices are docked or WiDi connected (as households in mid 2013 in first nations worldwide will have close to 40% of house-holds with WiFi connected LCD TVs.

Right now I do like the TX UI, Sony's SmartWatch and how it works with it, and their wireless speaker (splash resistant). If both of these are compatible with RAZR HD then I'm all for it!

Oh yeah ... Motorola officially announced the RAZR HD is part of bootloader unlocking tool (voids warranty but its officially offered by Motorola!

PS: What is bootloader and why the uproar of them being locked?

PSS: Outlook 2010 with Apple's iCloud application allowed me to configure iCloud account into it. Contacts, Calendar, Email, and Tasks are all synced. I'm just waiting for my Gmail account to also sync and I'll copy my Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks over to the Gmail account. Then I'll logon via Chrome to my Gmail account to confirm everything copied. Seems that sometimes the most simplest solution is the most efficient and best solution.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-10 20:51
Update Guys:

Found this thread on Esato that highlighted a Samsung App that can Sync:
Contacts (including pictures), Calendar, SMS, Playlists/Albums/Podcasts, and Pictures from your iTunes Backup file of your iPhone to the Galaxy Nexus! Since I'm crazy busy at work I forgot to migrate a LOT of crap over to my account and this saved me a TONE of time.

Easy Phone Sync works with Samsung Android phones including the Galaxy Nexus.

Motorola RAZR HD released on Rogers today and supported by Moto's bootloader unlock but not yet available at retail outlets just yet. I'm still considering that or the pending LG Nexus device which will be sweet if its released with 32GB of storage; I cant deal with 16 that the GNexus has.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi