Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Motorola > Motorola aiming to upgrade all possible devices to Jelly Bean, promises to give you $100 credit if i

Author Motorola aiming to upgrade all possible devices to Jelly Bean, promises to give you $100 credit if i
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-09-07 19:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Motorola aiming to upgrade all possible devices to Jelly Bean, promises to give you $100 credit if it can't

At today's keynote, Motorola head Dennis Woodside has pledged that the company will attempt to upgrade all of its new and existing Android handsets to Jelly Bean "very soon." However, for some units, the latest version of Google's mobile OS is going to be too "compromised" to use properly. In that event, it's pledging to give you $100 credit off one of its brand new handsets, which are being unveiled today. It's not given details about how you go about claiming that credit, or when the program begins, but as soon as we're told, we'll let you know.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/motorola-jelly-bean-upgrades/

That's great and Motorola is on the right track. I'm sure it'll fulfill its promise much better than what Sony ( ) did with the 2011 Xperias.
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-09-07 20:05
Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! If they even do an ICS update for all 2010 and older... then JB for 2011 and newer... that would already be an amazing feat in itself! Great news!
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-09-07 21:03

On 2012-09-07 20:05:54, jplacson wrote:
Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! If they even do an ICS update for all 2010 and older... then JB for 2011 and newer... that would already be an amazing feat in itself! Great news!

So, the much heavier ICS on the weaker hardware and the much lighter and more optimized JB on the stronger hardware? I see no logic in that. I'd say JB updates for all 2011 Android Motorolas will be just fine - that's 18 months support done right.
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
TeknoBoi90
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 21:30
@mediar

Come on, all these complaints about the Xperias 2011 are ridiculous, they didn't update one model (which, BTW, was a failure) and it's always the same story... And just one thing, has anyone thought about this "special offer"? They give you 100$ for a new model, so if your Razr doesn't get the update you have to spend 400$ for another new Razr, and Moto is happy... Good job LOL
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-09-07 21:58

On 2012-09-07 21:30:06, TeknoBoi90 wrote:
@mediar

Come on, all these complaints about the Xperias 2011 are ridiculous, they didn't update one model (which, BTW, was a failure) and it's always the same story... And just one thing, has anyone thought about this "special offer"? They give you 100$ for a new model, so if your Razr doesn't get the update you have to spend 400$ for another new Razr, and Moto is happy... Good job LOL

Well, doesn't Sony force you to throw your 2011 Xperia and buy 2012 one as well, by f*cking up your phone with shitty ICS + no official way to go back to the stable 2.3? Think about it! And do they pay you 100$? No?

Look at the difference between Sony and Motorola:

Sony released ICS update for all 2011 Xperias, but that ICS was so buggy and laggy and bad that it's not worth updating. And in case you make the mistake to update, you can't go back to GB. Or at least officially. More than 50% of the people, who updated their Xperias to ICS, went back to GB in less than a month of use, using flashtool and screwing the warranty, due to the crappy ICS, random reboots and hangs, overheating, laggy UI and so on. I can't take that as fulfilled promise and to me, not a single 2011 Xperia got a normal ICS update. Not to mention that not a single 2011 Xperia is going to get officially the Walkman, Album and Movies apps, and probably JB as well. So we're f*cked in the middle of the desert. On purpose. Sony just wants to force us to buy the newer ugly and crappy 2012 Xperias ( which isn't going to happen, and they're way too overpriced for mid-class phones ). Thankfully the XDA team takes care of us, otherwise I'd just smack my Xperia in the wall.

Motorola, on the other side, will try to update all their 2011 and 2012 phones directly to JB, and then, if some phones aren't capable of running JB smooth, due to low memory or weak processor, will try to force their owner to buy newer phones ( like Sony does with all 2011 Xperia owners ). BUT, unlike Sony, Motorola will help the people with financial injection of $100. So simple, but effective.

Do you know what's $100? That's 30% of Xperia P's price or 40% of Xperia U's price. And that's a big deal. Trust me.
[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2012-09-07 21:12 ]
Mediar's Site
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-23 19:08
Motorola lists phones that won't get Jelly Bean, offers $100 credit to buy a phone that will

Back in September, Motorola Mobility announced that some of its handsets from 2011 and later wouldn't be making the jump to Jelly Bean. In an effort to smooth things over with exiled customers, the company pledged that it would offer a $100 rebate to those who trade up to a select Motorola smartphone. Today, the Google-owned Android maker has released a list detailing which phones qualify for this promotion. If you're among the many who purchased a Droid 3, Droid X2 and Photon 4G, it looks like an official update to Android 4.1 is out of the question. It should be noted that this offer doesn't affect your wireless contract's terms and conditions (read: ETF may still apply). However, if you're just aching to pick up a Motorola phone that released in 2012, then why not score a $100 credit for your troubles? Move past the break to see which other devices made didn't make the cut.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/[....]-phones-no-jelly-bean-upgrade/
Mediar's Site
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi