Esato

Forum > General discussions > Esato forum > Should Esato have a total re-launch?

Previous  1234  Next
Author Should Esato have a total re-launch?
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2012-09-30 23:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I guess you're right about the themes and wallpapers, there is hardly any use for that now.
What is that talk about more active mods??? Esato is clean and if we all help Tranced and Laffen a bit, they are more as capable to do the job.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-09-30 23:48
No keep esato as it is. There still people in this world have Sony Ericsson phones, plus it is the only real good resource on the web now for queries and fixes etc

I like the layout and the way things are. Its simple and clean and could be worse it could be like phone arena which just looks like any other site.

I reckon the only real good thing to do is put a little memorial for Masseur as I know he wouldnt want the site to change. Please keep it the same please!
[ This Message was edited by: chunkybeats on 2012-09-30 23:59 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-01 09:08
I think esato's structure, content and subject is right still. It is still an important resource for Sony Ericsson owners and over time this will become more along the lines of Sony owners but that doesn't mean the site has to change.

The visuals and layouts I've always found to be slightly clunky and there are a few bugs in the forums like after editing a post you're taken back to the first page of that thread instead of the last or where your post is and there is no way to access your sent PMs which can be frustrating to not know exactly what you wrote last time.

If these small bugs are fixed and the graphics and layouts are updated to something more modern, there is no need to change the original purpose of the site.

On things like the themes/wallpapers section, perhaps a section of CyanogenMod themes, or walk-throughs on updating and customizing FWs and ROMs, complete with a glossary of terms explaining 'root' and 'bootloader unlocked' would be cool. To have this placed alongside the current themes section would be fine.

No doubt it will take time and effort to initially write these things, but would be worth it.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2012-10-01 09:51
Who are the current Mods of Esato.com?
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-10-01 10:57
Razec

Nope, neither one was me, i post under the name Tsepz at GSMArena, although i dont really post there anymore, as its full of ignorant dumbasses.

All

The layout of this site is perfect! I generally use this site to benchmark web browsers as its layout is clean, subtle yet full of info, helps to point out flaws in a browser. Maybe remove the Themes and Wallpapers, thats if there is no download activity around them.

Much like SE's Java phone UI, Esato has a distinct and unique look, i have never come across a similar forum, very well laid out. One big USP of Esato is the photo gallery, and i think if anything must be changed, its that. It must be brought up towards the top and made bigger in the front page so that its one of the 1st things a 1st time visitor sees.

In terms of moderators, IMO, Laffen,Tranced, Goldenface and tranquil are doing a great job, maybe one or two more mods could be added to help out, id vote for Hans and razec. Hans due to his very friendly nature and love for photography and razec due to his very technical knowledge, but thats down to the mods to decide.

Also, i think we need a mod who updates the news more frequently, we used to have a user who did that a few years ago until he went rogue and got banned,lol.

Must say i miss PeterKay, he also kept this site very much alive with his prototype SEs, i'll never forget how he teased us especially with the SE P700 which became the P1i.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-01 16:49
On 2012-09-28 15:27:52, Dups! wrote:
It is beginning to feel like there are now more of the childish, disrespectful and downright ignorant people in here than before.

On 2012-09-28 17:38:37, Marly wrote:
Totally agree, some post utter garbage in the tech-forums, and are even proud of their high post-count, which they wouldn't have, when they'd posted their crap in the garbage forum, where it belongs. This puts people off.

Agreed. I really really can't stand some certain people here, and the lack of an Ignore User function is one of the reasons I am not that frequently around here for almost three years now.
Esato's Expert Of The Year MMIX
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-01 21:34
I am hardly ever on Esato anymore because it got boring and I moved away from
Its not the same without some of the old regulars like Masseur, Fatreg, Bobafett and PeterKay.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-01 22:10
Alright guys. I'm taking notes right now.

But now I'll talk as a member.

I really miss some guys here. I wish Esato would be like before. Not layout-wise. As you know there were two active mods during the last couple of years. Unfortunately, it's not like that anymore. It's only laffen and me now. It's not a bad idea having other mod(s). That'd be handy. And it would be good to have a news guy as well. Esato is not only a forum. It's also a news site. Yeah, and a photography site. As this guy said

On 2012-10-01 10:57:10, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Snip (in masseur's memory)

Much like SE's Java phone UI, Esato has a distinct and unique look, i have never come across a similar forum, very well laid out. One big USP of Esato is the photo gallery, and i think if anything must be changed, its that. It must be brought up towards the top and made bigger in the front page so that its one of the 1st things a 1st time visitor sees.

Esato needs to take advantage of its resources. Highlighting the photo section would be great. There are a lot of mobile and pro photographers around here.

Regarding the looks of the site:

- a new top banner
- some extra light colors
- don't know what else

Honestly I need to be more of a tough guy. Sometimes I'm quite permissive(in real and virtual life as well) and I think it is a -ve in me. But hearing you all saying this makes me see that I cannot be indulgent or accommodating to the people. We cannot hide the fact that social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and others have taken its toll on sites like this.

Btw, having an Android, iOS or WP app would be a plus. Don't you think?
[ This Message was edited by: tranced on 2012-10-01 21:12 ]
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
jagger2k
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2012-10-02 02:58

On 2012-10-01 22:10:51, tranced wrote:

I really miss some guys here. I wish Esato would be like before. Not layout-wise. As you know there were two active mods during the last couple of years. Unfortunately, it's not like that anymore. It's only laffen and me now. It's not a bad idea having other mod(s). That'd be handy. And it would be good to have a news guy as well. Esato is not only a forum. It's also a news site. Yeah, and a photography site. As this guy said

Esato needs to take advantage of its resources. Highlighting the photo section would be great. There are a lot of mobile and pro photographers around here.

- a new top banner
- don't know what else

Honestly I need to be more of a tough guy. Sometimes I'm quite permissive(in real and virtual life as well) and I think it is a -ve in me. But hearing you all saying this makes me see that I cannot be indulgent or accommodating to the people. We cannot hide the fact that social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and others have taken its toll on sites like this.

I think an Esato app is a fantastic idea, more people will be able to post on the go and keep up to date with the latest tech news.

I think we could do with someone who can update the news section more often.

Maybe have an IOS and android corner which isn't just tucked away, where members are able to discuss this like rooting and jailbreaking, custom roms etc.

Also I was thinking content wise, maybe we could have tutorials for various things, like how to guides, phone repairs, rooting etc.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-02 05:12
This has been my favorite site since my days... then and now Sony. (I can't remember when I joined, but the oldest post I found of mine was in 2002, but this was after Esato had a major overhaul since my post was already related.

A relaunch? I think a migration to HTML 5 would solve a lot of maintenance issues as well as improve mobile access without the burden of multi-platform incompatibility and inconsistency. I like having apps, but I don't think a website needs an app, unless you're going to introduce a completely unique UI (Like what Flipboard does for Social Networks)

Jagger2k, a tutorial section is a great idea... something separate from the forum (just links to it from the forum) perhaps?

Forum moderation is always difficult. User post regulation and spam elimination is very tedious. I commend the Esato team throughout the years for doing what they do. For this to work, Esato would need a whole lot more mods to screen posts in all the forums round the clock to distribute the workload.
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-02 10:22

On 2012-10-01 22:10:51, tranced wrote:

- a new top banner
- don't know what else

I think an app for esato would be great, how about being able to get esato on tapatalk ?
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-10-02 10:37
Tying Esato up to Tapatalk would be awesome!
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-02 14:33
I brought the idea of an application because most of the mobile users are very attracted when it comes to apps. Specially Android users. The Esato's mobile version is very mobile friendly. Even more after it was redesigned for that purpose.

But let's go like Jack the Ripper: by part

First, the simple things: the layout?

Then we would look at the possibility to have an application or include Esato in Tapatalk.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-10-02 23:23
Its great to see so many of us feel the same about esato. But many people who made this an awesome place have left or barely post. It used to be a great stop for all resources. But now it feels somewhat like a dried lake. I mostly come here for leaks, and I find the people here still in general are much much better than other forums although in recent times, things haven't been the same.

I think there should be some changes that should be made to esato, as pointed out by others, to keep it relevant. Its no longer a race dominated by nokia and nor platforms created by them. As such there will be more people here with sony or because of google's android, not because of their timescape ui.

I personally think, we should aim to include more of rooting, custom firmwares, etc for sony devices. Something like xda-dev, but more focused on sony. Also focusing on photography, concepts, news and reviews.

Having wallpapers or apps here would not be of much help because that's what play store is for.

Also a major part of esato re launch depends on sony. If they keep repeating the old trends, they will eventually loose even the most die hard fan. But if they are really competitive, and get out great products for which we all loved sony, then there will be more people here just like old times.

P.S.- I wouldn't mind a playtime re launch too . Never won anything so far
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
jagger2k
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2012-10-02 23:45

On 2012-10-02 23:23:09, djin wrote:

Having wallpapers or apps here would not be of much help because that's what play store is for.

But if we are taking about modding and jailbreaking, they could have apps which are not available on the market places. APK files etc.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi