Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > Everything Everywhere gets 4G go-ahead from Ofcom

Author Everything Everywhere gets 4G go-ahead from Ofcom
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-15 20:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Oh really?? Oh dear
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-15 22:19
The one with T-mobile full monty.. unlimited data ? is that 3G or 4G ?

Also, if you have an allowance of 1gb of 4G, does it step down to 3G if you run out ?
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-20 03:04
Read this,people disgruntled by low data allowances and also why has Nokia made the 920 exclusive to EE till the new year??

http://www.wpcentral.com/consumers-not-happy-ee-exclusivity-uk-availability-and-plans

And it mentions how quickly your data would get used I have read it's the same in America,low allowances. Think I'll stick with Three

Nokia Lumia 800 White
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-11-20 02:09 ]
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 20:00
@etaab

Very good point raised there, bet they just throttle you once your allowance it up but it would be a great deal if they just dropped you down to 3G.

@Bonovox

How well does Three perform coverage wise? A guy a work wants to leave as he doesn't get service a lot of time, he thinks it's due to the lack of a 2G service from them.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 20:13

On 2012-11-15 22:19:02, etaab wrote:
The one with T-mobile full monty.. unlimited data ? is that 3G or 4G ?

Also, if you have an allowance of 1gb of 4G, does it step down to 3G if you run out ?

No. You don't get separate allowances for 4G and 3G. Once your allowance runs out on 4G that's it. It's the same allowance whether it is being used on 4G, 3G or 2G.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 20:44
Lack of 2G service from Three ? of course they have 2G service.

They have to support a 2G network for calls and texts. GSM, can be selected on many phones and 3G disabled. If i were to do that on Three, i would lose service, but i dont. If they put all their calls through 3G, the network speeds would be crippled.

@ goldenface - thats atrocious ! what is the point !?

So if i were to download 500mb on the cheapest tarrif in just a few minutes i'd be charged for every bit of data afterwards ??

Thats like owning a Ferrari whilst living on an island thats only the size of a football pitch !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 20:55

On 2012-11-21 20:00:01, Caspa wrote:
@etaab

@Bonovox

How well does Three perform coverage wise? A guy a work wants to leave as he doesn't get service a lot of time, he thinks it's due to the lack of a 2G service from them.

I get excellent coverage in major towns and cities around the UK. Speeds are good as is reliability. Rarely have any down time and I have had coverage in the middle of Snowdonia national park The only major downer is no longer 2G back up anymore. I have only picked up 2g sometimes where there is a very wide gap in 3G.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 21:09
Im on 2G on all networks when im at home 100% of the time. Where i live is on the border of the countryside.

I also live in an old cottage which has walls which are two feet thick in all directions. So i never get 3G or even 3.5G / 4G where i live.

My point is, i use Three's 2G network every day for calls and texts.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 21:47
I couldn't have put it better myself. Anyone would be a fool to sign up while the prices are so high.

BTW Three are upgrading their network for DC-HSPA, basically they are allowing data to be used on two channels instead of one so effectively doubling current 3G speeds. It will be in my area by Christmas.

http://www.independent.co.uk/[....]network-is-better-8329219.html

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 21:55
@etaab I think Three have turned off 2G in areas where their 3G is strong. In my area I have really strong coverage on all networks(a rarity) and on Three when I switch to 2G it never finds anything in my area despite Orange 2G(the back up) being strong. @Goldenface that's good news. According to Mobile News Online,EE have clamied 80% of Manchester is already covered but Vodafone are critics of this. And EE are also slagging off EE aswell for misleading customers of their future 4G network

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2012/11/21/ee-criticises-wholly-misleading-4g-coverage-report/

Nokia Lumia 800 White
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-11-21 21:03 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 23:08
That wouldnt make much sense though surely ? i really hope if that is true they dont turn off 2G in my area or i'll be screwed for network coverage.

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 23:17
See here although it is from last year

http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/three-begins-2g-coverage-switch-off-have-you-been-affected-your-rights
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-22 09:46
Thats interesting and probably explains the R next to my signal when im at home.

I always knew Three ran on O2 for 2G, but didnt know they'd switched to Orange after a certain date. Which is strange, because where i live O2 get a very good 2G phone signal but nothing higher. Orange and T-mobile struggle with 2G, but upstairs get relatively slow but possible to use 3G.

So when i switched to Three from O2 and then Gifffgaff, i found it strange that i get ok (ish) 2G for phone calls (even though that link says its on Orange). My girlfriend is on T-mobile (now says EE on her phone) and struggles for 2G at all times but can use 3G.

@ Bonovox - if that article is true and they've got their facts right, it confuses matter even more for my individual case !!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-22 14:10
It is true have read it alot of places. As for the Orange 2G switch they did that coz Orange offered Three a cheaper deal to use their network compared to O2. I have had an R(Roaming) next to my signal before when in the countryside but have also picked up 3G in the countryside on Three too. As for the 2G turn off it would make sense in areas where 3G is strong as it would mean less money paid out to use Orange services.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-22 18:39
But roaming shouldnt cost us as customers anything though surely ?

I thought so but when i went to Northern Ireland back in July Three charged me a few quid for using my phone data, even though its part of Britain and therefore shouldnt cost me anything. It was only about £5, so didnt bother questioning it.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic