Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Is it time for Sony to ditch Ericsson?

Previous  1234  Next
Author Is it time for Sony to ditch Ericsson?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 17:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't think the writer of that article is aware that the issue has been rehashed and talked about over and over again down the years.

As long as the venture stays in the black and continues making money then there shouldn't really be an issue, should there?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 18:21
You have a point there
Phone?? What phone??
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 18:33
My thoughts as well, the main aim of a company is to make profit, its not necessary to be the biggest or most selling products to be successful, though this does tie into how much profit is to be made, and looks good for the company raises stock prices etc. SE can still function provided they hold onto some market share and start profiting.
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-08-20 17:34 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 18:52
Sure, the operative words there are 'as long as the company makes money...' but let's not forget that SE has just made a loss in the last quarter and they exaggeratedly blamed the Japan earthquake.

If we are to be honest, SE phones don't sell as they used to and the cause is partly that they are overpriced (we can thank Sony again on this one) and to an extent less competitive compared to the competition.

Last year I gave them the benefit of the doubt as that was a transitional period after the many months of loss-making. This year they should've known better and competed. While I acknowledge that Qualcomm delayed their dual-core processors which held them back a bit but for them to brush them aside (dual-core processors) now in Q4 as if the arc was selling better than the competition is stupidity of the highest level. They could've made a lot of sales now in this period but they opted to come up with a higher speed arc next month. The idiots at SE wasted resources on the silly walkman phones and text pro rubbish when they could've directed those resources toward a real high-end phone.

Some of you know I love this brand and it remains my number one brand to this day but as long they screw up I won't buy their phones.

I hope they make decent profits this and the next quarter cause any more losses could spell major problems. If they fail to make a profit now with all their announced phones out how on earth are they going to make a profit in Q1 next year?

There was a time when I would've shed a tear if the joint-venture went bust but now I am going to laugh at them for failing to capitalise on the two technologically gifted parents. If they fail to make this work then they don't deserve to be in this business!

SO, SE, SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT!
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-08-20 18:05 ]
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 18:59
I don't think Sony Ericsson phones are over priced. If you look at Samsung's top devices they are over £500. Sony Ericsson's top device the Arc was just over £400 when released. The new Mini phones are excellent value for money for the specs you get.
Phone?? What phone??
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 19:11
You can't compare the arc to the GSII. The arc is the Desire S with a new os version.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 19:15

On 2011-08-20 18:52:56, Dups! wrote:
Sure, the operative words there are 'as long as the company makes money...' but let's not forget that SE has just made a loss in the last quarter and they exaggeratedly blamed the Japan earthquake.

If we are to be honest, SE phones don't sell as they used to and the cause is partly that they are overpriced (we can thank Sony again on this one) and to an extent less competitive compared to the competition.

Last year I gave them the benefit of the doubt as that was a transitional period after the many months of loss-making. This year they should've known better and competed. While I acknowledge that Qualcomm delayed their dual-core processors which held them back a bit but for them to brush them aside (dual-core processors) now in Q4 as if the arc was selling better than the competition is stupidity of the highest level. They could've made a lot of sales now in this period but they opted to come up with a higher speed arc next month. The idiots at SE wasted resources on the silly walkman phones and text pro rubbish when they could've directed those resources toward a real high-end phone.

Some of you know I love this brand and it remains my number one brand to this day but as long they screw up I won't buy their phones.

I hope they make decent profits this and the next quarter cause any more losses could spell major problems. If they fail to make a profit now with all their announced phones out how on earth are they going to make a profit in Q1 next year?

There was a time when I would've shed a tear if the joint-venture went bust but now I am going to laugh at them for failing to capitalise on the two technologically gifted parents. If they fail to make this work then they don't deserve to be in this business!

SO, SE, SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT!
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-08-20 18:05 ]

I agree with the transition period of last year, the devices were not the best on the market and consquently the sales suffered due to this, but as I have said many a time this was the first year they had begun focusing wholly on smartphones

I don't think it's fair to say that they're not selling because of being overpriced. I would say the main reason for a lack of sales is due to the extremely poor portfolio of phones currently found. They realised only 3 top end smartphones, the arc, neo and play, now this is clearly pretty stupid of them - they should have brought out the pro, mini, mini pro, ray and active at the start of the year. Now whether this is due to the earthquake or not remains to be seen, but the fact is this is where the main problem lies. Another reason could be due to their lack of a real top end dual core phone, which is unfortunate that they could not produce this in the time.

I would also disagree with the fact that they focused on low end phones, and would say they should have produced more of them. The R&D costs must be pretty low considering the lack of needing to incorporate new technology. If they had produced phones around this segment as low as £20 they could have easily done well here
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 19:26
Has SE found new alternative places for components?? Have they needed to since the quake?? I wonder this cos other manufacturers source components from Japan too yet they have carried on releasing many phones. Or have other manufaturers found somewhere else?? Cos now Samsung is such a huge maker is screens and micro chips. Has the quake affected them as bad as they say I wonder?? I think they have done ok considering the quake as they still managed to keep the Arc and Play production going.
Phone?? What phone??
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 19:42
@adsada

I wrote that the reason their phones don't sell is PARTLY to do with them being overpriced and less competitive. Those are part of the reasons. Like I wrote, if someone wants an arc at a cheaper price then the Desire S fills that gap nicely. I won't even bother with the overpriced failure- the Play.

The minis are nicely priced but again the problem is the other manufacturers, ie, HTC and Samsung, have that area covered. Sadly for SE the competition's reputation is still solid unlike theirs.

The other resons are a badly tarnished reputation (this still hurts them), very poor marketing and the ability to quickly adapt to the market.

I'm not sure I understand your disagreement about low-end phones.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2011-08-20 18:54 ]
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-20 19:44

On 2011-08-20 19:26:00, Bonovox wrote:
Has SE found new alternative places for components?? Have they needed to since the quake?? I wonder this cos other manufacturers source components from Japan too yet they have carried on releasing many phones. Or have other manufaturers found somewhere else?? Cos now Samsung is such a huge maker is screens and micro chips. Has the quake affected them as bad as they say I wonder?? I think they have done ok considering the quake as they still managed to keep the Arc and Play production going.

Can't say for certain, I don't really know much about the location of these companies' factories. But it would seem obvious that SE being have Sony and Sony being Japanese, they will source components from there?
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-08-29 02:51
I have always disliked the Sony Ericsson brand name, but I got used to it.
Would be nice to say you just had a Sony phone or an Ericsson phone like in the old days.

So they should ditch the branding. I don't know about anything else
krayzie_cat
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2011-09-05 08:52
As much as I like old Sony designs (was a big fan of their Trinitron, Walkman and ES audio lines) I always blamed the modern Sony for destroying my two favorite consumer product brands: and Minolta

If the venture is seriously up for renewal I hope they just end it on October 1, 2011.

Time sure flies as I've waited almost 10 years anticipating an come back mobile phone...
[ This Message was edited by: krayzie_cat on 2011-09-05 07:54 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-09-05 14:12
Aahh, Minolta. That was a brand! My brother still own their camera, a wonderful kit that.

You are right and I've been saying the same thing for too long, ie, the old Sony would easily walk over anybody out there. The old Sony with Ericsson would be number 2 by now. The old Sony would embrace Ericsson's adventurous and innovative spirit and let SE be amazing.

THE OLD SONY DIED!!

This Sony is good at destroying good things because it has lost the quality of the old Sony.

I wish that Ericsson could just come back and ditch Sony. Sony can take its Cybershot, Walkman, Playstation, Bravia, etc, and keep them and let mighty Ericsson bring its innovation and technological prowess to the cellphone market.

Come on Ericsson, I will buy your new phones as I have before. Hell, I know a few people who would.

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-05 16:12
You know Bravia Engine on the mobiles it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. I have on every new Xperia model I have owned turned the Bravia Engine on & off & watched videos & looked at photos of all sorts & weather it's on or off there is no difference AT ALL!! And to top that the Neo & Mini Pro all have much dimmer screens than the Arc. The Mini screen is brighter than the Pro for some reason or other. But so far all I see is a brighter screen with no visible difference at all weather Bravia is there or not. It's complete tosh. Actually,the older X10 screen was better.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-09-05 15:14 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-09-05 18:50
While I did play with the arc I haven't got around to the Bravia engine performance. The thing with Sony is the like to throw their brand names in there hoping they will garner them sales. They used to before but people have become wiser and know that those are just meaningless brand names with no weight behind.

Walkman only meant the player and Cybershot meant just that- the empty name.

This is when they need to make a walkman phone with all the ingredients of the Sony walkman players and not just software, use the harware as well.

Cybershot should be the same camera modules on the Sony camera and not an empty name on an SE phone.

Aaargh, I'm done complaining about Sony! I'm sure some people over here are also tired of my rants.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  1234  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic