Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?

Author What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 01:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@adsada
You probably forgot what the latest Xperia lineup is advertised as- having crazy imaging prowess at night. And what you get is a really noisy camera in low light that's marginally sharper than the competition at best. Any phone can get sharp night photos bundled with noise! This translates to lying, cheating and banking on branding power which was the same game they played that relegated them to their current position in the first place. Exmor-R was expected to produce sharp, bright night photos with relatively no noise- I can do that better with my X10. They simply need to sell their products AS ADVERTISED. Can SE really afford to do this when they are just one manufacturer as compared to a sea of others in the Android bandwagon with nothing to show for but design? Even if they come up with dual core now there are others already on the shelves as we speak. The only other way out is for them to be technology leaders again which I doubt they have that kind of capability anymore. One of the main reasons for my loyalty to SE is their design but then it is not enough a factor to solely push for as design is subjective. Some may fine iPhone 4's symmetry and simple metal rim finish to be more desirable that Arc's dynamic design. It is great that SE want to establish themselves through unique designs but they need to also realize that the majority of Android users are geeks who are into specs and modding who just can't be bothered with design.
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-08-13 02:56 ]
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 07:35
@Mode

Totally agree with you...
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 11:44
Mode very true indeed. I really think they will never catch up now its a shame. And yes day or night the x10 takes much better photos albeit with a slower camera but i would rather have that. Maybe i should have waited for Gingerbread with x10.
Phone?? What phone??
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 12:00
SE should have a settings for that, that's better than forcing us to live with it
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 12:08

On 2011-08-13 01:49:52, mode wrote:
@adsada
You probably forgot what the latest Xperia lineup is advertised as- having crazy imaging prowess at night. And what you get is a really noisy camera in low light that's marginally sharper than the competition at best. Any phone can get sharp night photos bundled with noise! This translates to lying, cheating and banking on branding power which was the same game they played that relegated them to their current position in the first place. Exmor-R was expected to produce sharp, bright night photos with relatively no noise- I can do that better with my X10. They simply need to sell their products AS ADVERTISED. Can SE really afford to do this when they are just one manufacturer as compared to a sea of others in the Android bandwagon with nothing to show for but design? Even if they come up with dual core now there are others already on the shelves as we speak. The only other way out is for them to be technology leaders again which I doubt they have that kind of capability anymore. One of the main reasons for my loyalty to SE is their design but then it is not enough a factor to solely push for as design is subjective. Some may fine iPhone 4's symmetry and simple metal rim finish to be more desirable that Arc's dynamic design. It is great that SE want to establish themselves through unique designs but they need to also realize that the majority of Android users are geeks who are into specs and modding who just can't be bothered with design.
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-08-13 02:56 ]

I actually believe gimmicks sell, SE managed ridiculously well for years producing copy cat walkman and cyber-shot branded phones which offered little more then a skinned media player and extra camera features. These were very popular and successful for SE. And I remember reading somewhere that original their phones attracted the more technological competent user and that they wanted to adapt to attract a wider range of users. These 'geeks' bought SE phones despite this. You say that is what got SE into its mess, which isn't really true, they got into this mess by the speed in which smartphones took off without any prediction. And lastly I would say that the majority of users aren't geeks, although this type of OS attracts these type of users, many people buy android phones because it is the closest to iOS without the high price tag. You can buy budget Android phones these days giving you still a pretty good experience for example the orange san francisco. They are now the most popular OS in the world, and yet you're saying most of them are geeks? that's a lotta geeks
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 12:25

On 2011-08-13 01:10:43, adsada wrote:
What I am saying is, 'tweaking the camera' will not make SE shoot to the number 1 phone manufacture, it needs to do that in otherway such as brand identification, and real differences like dual core. The general person will look at the specs as say, 8mp nice, oo maximum aperture of f/2.4 don't know what that is but it sounds good, ooo a sony cmos exmor r sensor nice! nice words sell, and i can honestly say i believe your average joe bloggs wouldn't have an issue with it

Today the media plays the most significant role in leading the consumers' choices!

SE advertised the Arc by the Reality display, that Exmor sensor and the F2.4 aperture, and the new stylish and snappy UI, and the unique curved slim design.

However, on the hardware front, they were beaten by Samsung hands down, and similarly on the software front they were beaten by HTC!
That's why people are mainly buying either Samsung or HTC!

Because these two, according to the media, and in reality, have some unique selling points! While SE have none! They're making some decent packages, but don't excel at any aspect!

Look at HTC, as I said, if it were to me, I'd ban them from selling products in my country! Because I expect more quality hardware from even an unknown Chinese manufacturer!
Yet, all reviewers neglect this aspect or even falsify it! All because of the Sense UI! This killer point simply covers all the shortcomings of the product! So reviewers focus on this point and neglect or give much less priority to those weak points.

In SE's case, nothing worked out! Inferior display compared to the best in the market, inferior camera, unique design but no solid build quality to go along with it and that "smudgy" glossy plastic every reviewer complained about and made sure to keep a bunch of customers away, no killer UI, no high up-to-date specs, etc..

And they don't need all of that in one package!

Had they produced a superior camera the way were they advertised it, and solid finger print resistant hardware finish instead of just focusing on the design, even if they lacked the dual core, and the killer UI, reviewers would have recommended the phone just for these two unique features.
It would have been for instance: GSII for the best performance and highest specs as well as the best display, Sensation for the best UI and better UX, Arc for its unique design along with solid hardware finish and superior camera that enables high quality night stills.

But as of now, the Arc got relegated to a mid-range phone! And fairly so!
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 12:29

On 2011-08-11 21:05:49, Bonovox wrote:
I still honestly don't think has recovered from their bad time when phones were falling apart & playing up. The days of the w580,c905,K850i etc. I think that has still dented their reputation cos they are still now in the other section of manufacturers which is not good. Even LG,Motorola are all above them. I don't know it may take a few years to recover but they still make a loss & the new Xperia range like the Play is not a big hit which may slow their recovery again. By then it might be too late. Though I have recently got a new c901 I think that was one of the better ones.

K850i buggy yes, but falling apart?!
C905i acting up yes, but falling apart?!
bahraini
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 13:46
Is it only me who doesn't find SE that bad the way some of you are saying?

ok its not as it used to be and its not the best in world these days
but if we look to their fones, as a whole unit , not only focusing on some issues
they really give good package in the fone..

also lets look for the whole line of production this year
samsung is only known for the greatness of GSll
LG for the Opyimus 2X, and 3D, and still not that popular
Mototola for the Droid...

all other fones are medium specs , and quality..

while SE is givving ARC, NEO, PLAY , MINI, RAY
they are givving each segment what they need, with a very good all round device
so isn't this something we sould count for SE??

the only one which i see competeing with SE in caring
about other type of ppl which they cant afford or not intrested in high
spec fones are HTC...

some ppl complain about the Quality cuz they have bad experience with one device
i dont know about the all the devices, but i have PLAY now, and its well built
with stable OS..

in other forums, many ppl are happy with the ARC, NEO and MINI,,
on other hand, some of them were complaining about the slow UI in HTC
with bad screen quality..
and bad quality material in samsung...
they were using other fones than GSll and the Sensation..
Moto is the company wich i find all ppl are happy about, i never hold one in my hand
so i dont know..

i dont wanna sound defending SE , i know they have issues which they need to overcome
but not to attack it because other companies produced ONE superb fone and forget
about other low quality fones they make.

you guys making SE lloks like and Evil srounded by Angels..

@Bonovox
Mate , i had K850 , C905
they are hard as rocks, they survived for really bad drops,
i dont know what u have done to them , i am one and so many ppl till this day
have their C905 as secondry fone, and some still using it,,,
[ This Message was edited by: bahraini on 2011-08-13 12:46 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 16:21
I never owned a c905 or k850i. I also look after my phones like a precious diamond. But what I was saying was went through a period which DID damage their reputation. Do you not remember many phones with keypads cracking,falling apart & so many software issues with the likes of k850i & c905 which were worse than normal. The w580i,s500i,k850i,c905,c902w595 etc all quite poor & won them bad reputation. And it's nothing to do with other manufacturers I am solely saying I think they have not really improved. I also say other manufacturers do cater for all segments or the market not just one high end device if you look.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-08-13 15:28 ]
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 21:06
@ bahraini

Samsung sold around 5 millions GSII last quarter, but around 18 millions smartphones!
The Galaxy series is full of all ranges! The Ace is selling like crazy! They have Galaxy 551 similar to Xperia Mini Pro, the Galaxy Mini as well, the Galaxy Fit at the lowest end for under 250€! They introduced the Galaxy S Plus and Galaxy SL at the higher mid-range competing with the likes of the Neo, Desire S, Incredible S, and Optimus Black..

HTC as you said also have all sort of ranges..

Problem with SE was they had only the Arc and the Play so far! Neo and Neo Pro as well as Mini and Mini Pro all delayed due to the quake! And note that Samsung had most of the line-up running already! The Ray is coming as well!

However, their failure was, and for the nth time, hoping they listen, they fell behind on the high-end!
The Arc is simply inferior to the GSII on all levels! Inferior to the Sensation and other Android high-ends!

The Play was a great concept. But they failed at what matters most for such a device: Games!
How could they sell a Playstation phone with just one PS1 game available for it!

I know playing normal Android games, specially sports games, with the gaming pad is a lot better experience, but let's face it, that's not enough to sway even heavy gamers!
Had there been a considerable pile of exclusive PS games, any average consumers would have considered the option.

It was meant that heavy gamers would grab the Vita, or both, and from the average consumers, those who'd like to game but not to the extent of carrying an extra 5" device, would go for the Play as a converged device.

On 2011-08-13 16:21:31, Bonovox wrote:
I never owned a c905 or k850i. I also look after my phones like a precious diamond. But what I was saying was went through a period which DID damage their reputation.

Yes, of course that was a dark era which saw SE drop rapidly form the main scene!
But not because their phones fell apart!

Mainly bad software coupled with some bad decisions such as offering the C905 at the same price of that of the N95!!! That was way overly optimistic even if the C905 had no issues!

Also they stopped innovating! They just copycatted their original products. No true upgrades..
And so on..

Do you not remember many phones with keypads cracking,falling apart

I don't remember any! Which models are you referring to?

& so many software issues with the likes of k850i & c905 which were worse than normal. The w580i,s500i,k850i,c905,c902w595 etc all quite poor & won them bad reputation. And it's nothing to do with other manufacturers I am solely saying I think they have not really improved. I also say other manufacturers do cater for all segments or the market not just one high end device if you look.

Yes this is part of the true story..
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 21:13
The Galaxy Ace mid range & even the Galaxy Fit take excellent photos to which I was surprised. A £99 Froyo Android phone from Samsung takes excellent 5 meg photos compared to the new Xperia range. I don't have them & am not intending on buying them but I am just making a point that other brands tend to still produce quality even in the lower range.
Phone?? What phone??
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-14 01:32

I actually believe gimmicks sell, SE managed ridiculously well for years producing copy cat walkman and cyber-shot branded phones which offered little more then a skinned media player and extra camera features. These were very popular and successful for SE. And I remember reading somewhere that original their phones attracted the more technological competent user and that they wanted to adapt to attract a wider range of users. These 'geeks' bought SE phones despite this. You say that is what got SE into its mess, which isn't really true, they got into this mess by the speed in which smartphones took off without any prediction. And lastly I would say that the majority of users aren't geeks, although this type of OS attracts these type of users, many people buy android phones because it is the closest to iOS without the high price tag. You can buy budget Android phones these days giving you still a pretty good experience for example the orange san francisco. They are now the most popular OS in the world, and yet you're saying most of them are geeks? that's a lotta geeks

You mean, the same gimmicks that brought them from world's #3 manufacturer to the current #10? Yeah, sure it sells
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-08-14 00:33 ]
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-14 01:54
What I think is no matter what the brand,the words Cyber-shot,Exmor R or whatever it's just a name it does not actually mean it's quality. There is alot of poor Cyber-shot cameras & also some excellent ones WITHOUT Exmor R Whilst my actual camera takes excellent shots which is the Sony HX9v the Exmor R in it does ok for night shots but it smothers noise so much to a point of no detail. Canon advertise their cameras now with HS system for High Sensitivity which again is just a name but it's not actually all that good as I have tried one. So no, gimmicks only fool the fool And one of them was me
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-08-14 00:56 ]
Phone?? What phone??
bahraini
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-14 02:02
@false_morel

well, i wont deny that Samsung played it smart, cuz most of their reputation
in the smartphone market cuz of galaxy Sl now Sll

all other fones are just similar to any other SE and some just inferior

yes they r cheaper, and i don't think SE can ever compete with them by any how,
as Samsung and LG make their phones by themselves, while SE have to
go to outside support...

i wont blame SE as much as i will blame Sony for this
i think if Ericsson was alone in this game they've could done better,
so many bad strategies was made by Sony,
also not supporting them with the best technologies, specially for the global
market, just compare with SE japan , and u will know what i mean.

the same mistakes which was done on PS3 , i found them
with SE..

as u pointed , the Play, SE was begging Sony for long time to make this fone,
but Sony never accepted as they never wanted to affect PSP market.
so we all know what happened,
iPhone came, though the different market of gaming but affected the PSP alot,
so finally the accepted to give SE some of the PSP staff,
which was only the control area and the Play station certificate.... ONLY

so instead of having special OS which belong to SE as they wanted
and customized for the PSP device, they were forced to go to android.

instead the hardware optimized for PSP , it was made in the first place
for android system..

instead to have some kind of hard to crack , or at least last long before
cracking games, they are using android which is the easiest system to crack.
so logically , big game makers will not risk to spend money for a system
they know it will be cracked the moment it goes out.

even Sony did not support them with any game,
just imagine what will happen if a special version of GOD OF WAR
was made for this device??

instead, they left SE in the dark with low budget games
and second or maybe third class game makers..

they did not even allow them to use PSP games
on the device, while the PSP already dead , and VITA is coming soon
[ This Message was edited by: bahraini on 2011-08-14 09:20 ]
Alihosny
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-08-14 04:48
@false_morel totally agree , look at the Nokia N8, bad ux , dead OS ,not the best screen but a killer camera and good build quality and the result is it sells like hot cakes especially here in middle east and europe (don't know about USA).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi