Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?

Author What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 18:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I want to start a discussion(if it goes anywhere)about the recent crop of Android handsets. Now,you all know I am a fussy so & so when it comes to mobiles. And I know some of you may say get a normal camera if you want good photos. Well,I do have one. But,what I want to say is,where has the quality of older camera phones gone?? Maybe it's been a topic before,but having recently had the Arc,Neo & now the new Xperia Mini I am starting realise now why is & probably will no longer be top again,or even last. In my opinion the quality of their cameras & build quality issues is poor. Again,cracks in the Arc & imo(not sure of anyone else)the Arc & Neo cameras are a step back in terms of image quality. The new Mini camera is extremely poor compared to the older 5 meg cameras of old. I know how to take a decent image & on the weekend I was away again & they ruined what could have been fantastic photos but turned out poor with every setting used.

The older X10 was so much better & I think Sony is creating complete tosh with these cheap camera optics. I don't know,what is your opinion?? You pay a high price for these devices like £400 or more & they throw complete crap at you. Am I the only one who was waiting for the new Xperia models only to be let down by them?? Samsung Galaxy S 2 now that is a camera with pure image quality & detail. Why cannot no longer churn out something as good as that?? Although the new Mini is a decent performing phone for every day tasks already after 2 days,again the body plastics are begining to creak like an old ship Why cannot they build something that is made to last?? Why don't they make the same quality optics they promise in their dedicated cameras?? They say they do,but in the real world it's a different story. Imho,they need to change cos being in the OTHER section of the top manufacturers for mobiles is worrying. I have seen a CHEAPER Samsung handset(Galaxy Mini) for £100 take better photos than some of the recent tosh they throw out. I am keeping my Mini for what it is for now but I am starting to think if I ever will buy another handset by them. For the price you pay,it simply is poor quality. Sorry
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2011-08-10 23:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2011-08-11 14:08 ]
Phone?? What phone??
kaizerp900
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 18:50

You never seem happy with any SE phone you buy so wouldn't it be better to spend your ££ on a different brand??

The Arc was an issue for you / The Neo was an issue for you / Now the Xperia Mini is an issue for you.

I honestly can't see why you keep buying them if every single one of them has problems to you.

I'm not a super SE fanboy but I've got to be honest I had no issues at all with my K750i / K800i / C905 / Satio / Arc / Neo

Sure every phone has bugs / shortcomings but I can honestly say none that cropped up on any of the above phones were such a big issue as to want to get rid of it.

As for the camera quality issue ,well the way I see it is that phones are a hell of a lot thinner than they used to be so maybe the recent crop of new ultra small camera components just don't compare the older chunkier ones. Something has got to give.
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 18:59
For me I just lived with it, what ever the problem is or issues I had in my SE phone, it's there nothing that i can do with it and SE won't fix it for me

Maybe Bonovox you should buy Samsung Galaxy S2, everyone knows this is the BEST of the BEST phone in the world right now, it got Power, Speed , Performance and Best in Camera Quality in a mobile but not in Style
[ This Message was edited by: mhyke on 2011-08-07 18:01 ]
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 19:14
It is not about bugs cos all phones suffer bugs of some sort. Just poor quality materials,poor quality cameras etc...... I never hear of other brands devices cracking or falling apart. WHAT kind of PREMIUM PLASTICS did say they were made of??
Phone?? What phone??
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 19:30
Dude if you hate SE so much why do you continue to buy the phones? Personally, I love the shots my arc takes they're such sharp images, and the exmor for mobile makes taking low light pictures really easy, you don't need a steady hand and it's just such a nice feature which others would argue is a gimmick, I would say works pretty darn well. The interface is so nicely designed as well, making taking shots fun and easy.

Yeah I would agree the built quality is not the best, and I would like to see improvements in that area. But the design and feel and general experience presented by SE is why I like their products so much, their comfortable to hold, look nice and feel great to use.
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-08-07 18:33 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 19:35
I don't hate them I just feel frustrated at my favourite brand
Phone?? What phone??
coolbuddyv
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 20:34

On 2011-08-07 19:35:07, Bonovox wrote:
I don't hate them I just feel frustrated at my favourite brand

I'm with Bonovox here..
i'm a diehard-est SE fan and i'm so sad that the feeling is fading fast..

i knew about this issue long back..even before bono raised it i had pm'd him and mentioned this issue..
The pics would look great to 100% of people when totally zoomed out..
but as soon as you zoom-in even a little bit..not even 1.5x (im not a guy who would zoom-in 16x on a camfone output and rant) all you see is shit...

the feeling is uniform across people who a little bit more than novices..
output is complete crap..no detail at all..its like one of those photoshop effects which leads to a comic-book like feeling..
the land is all brown, no detail.. grass is all green, no shades at all...
there is a photoshop smart/surface blur applied all over the picture..

i have a grudge against all the people which say that BONO is a mongering..
he has seen so many mobiles...he definitely has accumulated some wisdom..

bliv me.. i love SE so much...been waiting for a neo for months here in my countrt and living with a phone from dark ages during this wait..
but i've known from so long..(june/july) that these new cams on SE androids are pure crap..
so so bad...

just zoom-in a little to see and then argue...
(and yeah pics taken in bright sunlight don't count..in sunlight even the output of a cheap $50 cam would look phenomenal )

kalleo4
K790
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 20:38
I'm with Bonovox too!
but, as they say..
'More is never enough'
coolbuddyv
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 20:42
Buddies something similar was going on here but soon some idiots hijacked it and the topic died down..

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/78161

there is definitely some problem with these new cameras...
and what gives me hope is that this is 100% a software issue imo..they wouldn't be going back yo old hardware..
but then that's what i hope..

but we can see that there is a very higher chance that this is just a driver issue..
because its very strange that all these new SE droids have a similar tendency (which is uncannily very similar) in providing the same defects in the final output..all the pics from arc/neo/minis are similarly smart/surface blurred...

im so sad...what has happened to SE...

and yes on the link provided...the SE people appeared to be receptive of the issue but then the topic died down..

lets do something...
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 20:50
Thanks for the compliments
Phone?? What phone??
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 20:55
Those photos don't look good full size, they probably put cheaper camera modules in to save money. For most people, if the photo quality on the phone's screen is good, then they're satisfied.
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 21:01
Yes,they do look good on the HVGA screen. But I was underwhelmed when viewed on my pc. People say the Arc is an excellent camera which I thought it was at first but it too also suffers poor detail. I am not here to deliberately slag down cos I feel like it. I am just pointing out that despite the quality they claim it simply is not the case in terms of camera & what they say about the Arc being of premium plastics. Come on
Phone?? What phone??
MFire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-08-07 21:12
Same goes for the audio quality. I mean wtf, shouldn't I be able to get a new device from my favorite brand ?!!! Instead I can't buy an android phone from SE cause they sound like crap and have to stick to my Aino.

I never though I'd say this but I'm slowly drifting towards Apple
[ This Message was edited by: MFire on 2011-08-07 20:16 ]
Sony-Ericsson - Acer - AMD - Nvidia
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 21:19
I am off to try Nokia N9 Meego or Windows 7 with Nokia. At least they make quality hardware & with Windows 7 improving then Nokia may do it some good imo. We shall see. Yes,I am fussy but we should all be spending big money on phones. I know no phone will ever be perfect but imo is far from perfection anymore If anyone say OH THESE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CAMERA PHONES FIRST & FOREMOST I shall scream they advertise this Exmor R & yet it's NOSIER Sorry,I know I must sound like the new Toney_Ericsson moaning
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-08-07 20:21 ]
Phone?? What phone??
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-07 21:27
i'm with bonovox.for the first time since 2004 i have bought a non s.e phone(galaxy s2).
i have had camera phones from s.e since the s700i right through to satio and the optics have been gradually worse with each new release.the only quality issues was with my c905 which had 2 earpiece failures.
sony ericsson seems to be about 6 months behind with releasing phones with current technology/specifications and by then the competion has moved on.
it all must be to do with keeping costs down but the price of the handsets remain high.
if you pay a large sum for phone you expect a certain return on quality.
galaxy note8
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi