Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?

Author What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 13:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
there's an explanation why new xperia line up have a lower quality of pictures

Xperia Arc vs Xperia X10 photo quality
Normal daylight photos are of similar quality as a Xperia X10 on Android 2.1. White balance precision by the Xperia Arc is very good. Only a handful of our 500+ the test photos had unacceptable white balance. We have shot and compared 50-60 images with the Xperia X10 and the Xperia Arc. Both phones has a 8 megapixel camera, are made by Sony Ericsson and both are running Android. The first thing we noticed was that the X10 file size was much higher than those from the Arc. In our test images, the average file size from the Xperia X10 was 2.63 MB. Photos of the same motive, captured with the Xperia Arc resulted in an average of 1.2 MB per file. The mixture of motives had graduated edges such as the sky and snow and others was with sharp contrast such as tree branches and gravel. Xperia Arcs smaller file size does indeed affect image quality. If you are looking at the images at 100% magnification you will see the JPEG artifact caused by too much compression. By compressing the files as much as the Xperia Arc does, images will loose details. Hopefully, a future firmware update will let users choose the JPEG compression level to certain extent.
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 15:04

On 2011-08-11 12:52:18, adsada wrote:
Making smartphones is the only way for any phone manufacture to survive in today's world, they would not exist if they had continued making java based dumbphones. I agree that there quality is not the best, but lets be honest it never has been the best thinking back to my K850i. When making android phones, you're going to want to concentrate heavily on the software to differentiate it from others on the market, the one area you missed out was the physically design which SE do still really well, my Xperia arc is the most beautiful smartphone out there

I don't mind them turning into a smartphone-only firm..
I was just listing the resemblance in approaches between SE's new strategy and that of HTC..
I do think they're literally following the HTC's model!
Which isn't a bad thing for SE btw, since they'll be following a successful model, but only if they manage to better HTC in the job, not stay as the underdogs and sell only in Northern Europe!

You're praising its Sense UI then slatting it for having doggy software, which one is it?

Yes, HTC made one stylish and highly functional UI, but buggy and laggy at times. It seems the consumers didn't mind the occasional bugs nor the lags.

I've never had an HTC but my friend has the wildfire and it was one robust phone, with the metal surrounding giving a sturdy finish which you could just tell would survive falls

Yes, not all of HTC's products suffer the same bad build quality. But the majority of their phones, and ironically their high-ends in specific, suffer these at build quality issues..

I would disagree with this too, yes the X10 was a joke in terms of its UI, but that was there first attempt at an android smartphone, in the 2011 lineup the interface feels and looks really nice to use. Icons feel mature and not kiddy like samsung ones. The widgets are fine too, yeah there's timescape which no one would really practically use but it looks nice, if more are needed the android market is always there.

They went for the right design and right UI with the current line-up, nothing wrong with it, but as I said, it's not a killer UI!
In other words, it's just another custom UI. Doesn't beat the Sense UI. Not even the Touchwiz 4 really.
They just managed to differentiate themselves for the sake of it. They still need some killer features or points to sell their products. That's what I hinted to.

HTC have their Sense UI as the killer point. Samsung have their hardware package.. And that's why these two are dominating the Android market right now!
SE tried to follow suit, but failed on all fronts.

I personally love my arcs camera, and I believe the Exmor R actually does quite a good job, when I've been in pubs or on walks in low light I can shoot without the LED flash and it produces really nice (grainy yes) photos which give a sense of the atmosphere. Normally pictures look great for me when I look at them on the computer or TV, yeah the quality goes if you zoom in but it's a phone after all.

Well, with all due respect, either that you are pleased with low quality stuff, or haven't compared the Arc's camera to that of the competition!
SE, Samsung, and Nokia always lead the cameraphone competition, and always produced high-quality cameras that all were on par with each other despite the different approaches.

Why would SE drop from the competition all of a sudden?! Why is it only Samsung and Nokia now?
And they tried to stay of course. But met another failure.

I saw many comparison pics of the Arc with several other cameraphones. The Arc really sucks! Specially in low light!

I think when you go through the biggest changed in the companies history, completely changing your phones think of how much work this requires. Not to mention the retraining the staff need to go through to gain experience with smartphones and the android platform, but having to literally start from strach. You're not going to expect them to be able to provide the same as Samsung and HTC who have had a head start and can develop the technology through more experienced R&D. It will take a while, but I believe soon enough they will produce top of the range smartphones. When SE first established in 2001, were they on top of their game? No, they had to work and in consecutive years they started producing phones like the W900i and the K800i which really made them stand out. This is exactly the same the company effectively has to re-establish itself in the new market.

This is no excuse! Even if HTC and Samsung had a head start, albeit not by much at all, fact remains SE's products are now inferior to those two.

Now whether they catch up and even pull ahead is another story, the coming Duo is one interesting phone, but they seem to keep depending on that cheap plastic finish!

One point not praised about SE which I think should is that in their phones design whether it be hardware or software they have never produced a product which looks similar to others on the market such as the iPhone. For a company this could be temping such as Samsung who know this is a popular phone and so design a phone with an experience similar to others. Looking at SE phones I can tell them apart because they have they're own unique look, they're not following the crowd.

Well, ok. But don't you think that for the end user a higher build quality, and better hardware is way more important than just the looks?!
The looks may have its consumer base, however just a little one.
It serves more like an extra factor and could be decisive only if in other aspects the handsets in question are on par.

Lets just hope they can pull though and produce some market leading smartphones in the near future

I'd wish to own an SE handset again!
I hope they adopt WP as well. Heck with these useless custom UIs!
Maybe then, they'd concentrate on their hardware more.

EDIT: Resolved the confusion of what parts concern HTC!
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-08-13 10:59 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 15:50

On 2011-08-11 12:34:16, false_morel wrote:
Edit: Well, somehow I got it wrong about the Ray! There is no aluminium unibody! Maybe that was a special version I once read about?

Almost correct. The frame is made of aluminium while the rest is plastic.

From http://www.sonyericsson.com/c[....]etails/xperiarayfinal-20110622

Sleek, beautiful smartphone with stylish aluminium frame

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2011-08-11 14:55 ]
bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 17:59
have we sent the link to this thread?

maybe we can do that so our voices can be heard....otherwise its futile
number1
P1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 19:45

On 2011-08-11 02:20:00, Bonovox wrote:
Actually with the N8 that was just the browser drove me nuts.

I agree its not great, but opera mobile 11 is avaible for free and it's an excellent browser also theres a new browser coming the pr2.0 update.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 21:05
I still honestly don't think has recovered from their bad time when phones were falling apart & playing up. The days of the w580,c905,K850i etc. I think that has still dented their reputation cos they are still now in the other section of manufacturers which is not good. Even LG,Motorola are all above them. I don't know it may take a few years to recover but they still make a loss & the new Xperia range like the Play is not a big hit which may slow their recovery again. By then it might be too late. Though I have recently got a new c901 I think that was one of the better ones.
Phone?? What phone??
bahraini
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-12 01:26

On 2011-08-11 21:05:49, Bonovox wrote:
I still honestly don't think has recovered from their bad time when phones were falling apart & playing up. The days of the w580,c905,K850i etc. I think that has still dented their reputation cos they are still now in the other section of manufacturers which is not good. Even LG,Motorola are all above them. I don't know it may take a few years to recover but they still make a loss & the new Xperia range like the Play is not a big hit which may slow their recovery again. By then it might be too late. Though I have recently got a new c901 I think that was one of the better ones.

maybe they have some issues with the quality , but who doesn't??

u know more about SE cuz u r stick with them all the time

i have the Play, and its really well built, even the slider is just perfect...
even as 5MP normal cam , its really good, maybe am not a photographer
but as much as i can see, it make sharp with good details

i think this year was the year of SE come back,
but japan earth quake destroyed all their plans..
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-12 01:39

On 2011-08-11 13:18:31, mhyke wrote:
there's an explanation why new xperia line up have a lower quality of pictures

Xperia Arc vs Xperia X10 photo quality
Normal daylight photos are of similar quality as a Xperia X10 on Android 2.1. White balance precision by the Xperia Arc is very good. Only a handful of our 500+ the test photos had unacceptable white balance. We have shot and compared 50-60 images with the Xperia X10 and the Xperia Arc. Both phones has a 8 megapixel camera, are made by Sony Ericsson and both are running Android. The first thing we noticed was that the X10 file size was much higher than those from the Arc. In our test images, the average file size from the Xperia X10 was 2.63 MB. Photos of the same motive, captured with the Xperia Arc resulted in an average of 1.2 MB per file. The mixture of motives had graduated edges such as the sky and snow and others was with sharp contrast such as tree branches and gravel. Xperia Arcs smaller file size does indeed affect image quality. If you are looking at the images at 100% magnification you will see the JPEG artifact caused by too much compression. By compressing the files as much as the Xperia Arc does, images will loose details. Hopefully, a future firmware update will let users choose the JPEG compression level to certain extent.

The thing is, lens distortion and fringing are not software related, it's hardware imperfection. I believe most of us are aware of the extreme compression they've applied to the photos for a snappier camera UI. These are the reasons why I'm staying with my X10 indefinitely until they come out with something that works as advertised
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-08-12 00:40 ]
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-08-12 03:16
Lets hope that they will improve the quality by removing the extreme compression, or atleast make an option to manipulate this.

in this way, they can improve it by tweaking the software and be competitive again in some way
[ This Message was edited by: mhyke on 2011-08-12 02:37 ]
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-12 05:57

On 2011-08-12 03:16:35, mhyke wrote:
Lets hope that they will improve the quality by removing the extreme compression, or atleast make an option to manipulate this.

in this way, they can improve it by tweaking the software and be competitive again in some way

It's going to take SE a while to get their Android cam drivers up to par with their feature phone's drivers. Spotted the Xperia Play at Robinson's Galleria btw, if I don't get my hands on the Xperia Mini pro2 by next month I just might settle for the Play.
hyperken
Samsung Galaxy Note
PM
Posted: 2011-08-12 08:59
We need more hardware improvements not design!
Give us something which would last for longer period.
T18>T68i>P910i>P1i>Samsung Galaxy Note
32MB>256MB>1GB>1GB M2>2GB M2>16GB M2>32GB SanDisk MicroSDHC
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-12 11:05

Ehh..for SE I really don't see this as an issue, because the majority of the owners would not even think twice about this 'issue' it's only people on here to have an obsession with heavily analysing photos and zooming it checking them for detail ect. I like a good camera as the next person and like I've said already I am happy with the quality of this camera on my arc, it works well.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 00:52

On 2011-08-12 11:05:02, adsada wrote:

Ehh..for SE I really don't see this as an issue, because the majority of the owners would not even think twice about this 'issue' it's only people on here to have an obsession with heavily analysing photos and zooming it checking them for detail ect. I like a good camera as the next person and like I've said already I am happy with the quality of this camera on my arc, it works well.

It's not an issue for SE of course but an issue to a lot of people. Proof? Nobody's talking about 'how great' the camera is like they do about N8 and of course, despite all the sweet stuff you're saying about them they keep losing marketshare while others are gaining. Sure there are other factors in the market but the rule of thumb is, you sell good products, people buy them
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 01:05
Well Nokia is still top according to Esato News Articles today.
Phone?? What phone??
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-13 01:10

On 2011-08-13 00:52:56, mode wrote:

On 2011-08-12 11:05:02, adsada wrote:

It's not an issue for SE of course but an issue to a lot of people. Proof? Nobody's talking about 'how great' the camera is like they do about N8 and of course, despite all the sweet stuff you're saying about them they keep losing marketshare while others are gaining. Sure there are other factors in the market but the rule of thumb is, you sell good products, people buy them

What I am saying is, 'tweaking the camera' will not make SE shoot to the number 1 phone manufacture, it needs to do that in otherway such as brand identification, and real differences like dual core. The general person will look at the specs as say, 8mp nice, oo maximum aperture of f/2.4 don't know what that is but it sounds good, ooo a sony cmos exmor r sensor nice! nice words sell, and i can honestly say i believe your average joe bloggs wouldn't have an issue with it

If people are talking about how great the N8 is, why isn't it the top selling smartphone and why aren't nokia still top of their game with symbian?
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-08-13 00:15 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi