Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?

Author What happened to Sony Ericsson quality?
hibiskus
BlackBerry Z10
PM
Posted: 2011-08-08 11:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm gonna agree with Bono totally on camera quality for sure and some other stuff aswell(updating policy).
I had X10 before and it was really frustrating when using 1.6 Android while Desires had 2.2 for instance, also overheating battery, non existance of multitouch, those were all Sony fails for their flagship model.
Concerning camera, I was really negatively surprised with exmor sensor cameras. Lack of details on first place, no noticable advance taking low light images etc. I think there are 2 major problems with SE camera pictures quality.
First pooooooor optics quality, and second SE policy with unrealistic colours. Combined this 2 issues, vastly degrades details on images. Yeah I forgot, why is there problem with placing xenon flash on phones, that candle light on X10 was ridiculous . Noone is using it nowdays (except on HTC Mozart and N8)
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-08 13:08
Now you may laugh but i not care I exchanged the Mini for a Nokia E6 which for a while now i wanted. I have started to like qwerty keyboards with the touch screen too. The Nokia is a quality device. But as this thread is not really about software issues i am sure the Nokia may have one or two. But thats nothing that a software update cannot deal with. For me the Nokia E6 has decent hardware and great build. It may be Symbian Anna but its still imo good as i have tried it. Also the camera having seen some images and not just on the VGA display are very good 8 meg images although with EDoF are good. I never take many macros anyway. I once had the Nokia E5 and was surprised how fast the browser was. I like it and its coming tomorrow.

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-08-08 12:11 ]
number1
P1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-10 23:44
You should have gone for the N8, it has autofocus and alot more natural looking more detailed pics, the n8 is 1 of the best camera phones out at the moment largely due to it's bigger 1/1.83'' sensor, nokia put alot of effort into getting the camera right.
Digicams went backwards in image quality aswell with small sensors and large megapixel counts, and very heavy noise reduction, backlit cmos-sensor cameras are now on the market and the image quality is miles ahead of any ccd and they can cope with the a large amount of megapixels, the canon sx220 & sx230 use this new sensor and there image quality is noticable better than most other compacts.
burmistrz
Xperia Active
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 00:01

On 2011-08-07 19:35:07, Bonovox wrote:
I don't hate them I just feel frustrated at my favourite brand

My first mobile phone was an Alcatel. Like 20 years ago. Then I bought Ericsson GH198. Since then, I always had an Ericsson/SonyEricsson. Until now.
2 weeks ago, I went to store and wanted another SE. Badly.
Xperia Arc is too big for my needs and Neo felt so... hmm... f..ing plasic.
Now Iīm "proud" iphone owner.
Donīt even like that phone, but I never had an option. Itīs S.A.D.
I wish, k 850i had WiFi
Maybe Ray is better? Who knows.
[ This Message was edited by: burmistrz on 2011-08-10 23:09 ]
k850
satio
x10 mini
iphone
active
Z3 Compact
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 00:06

On 2011-08-11 00:01:35, burmistrz wrote:

On 2011-08-07 19:35:07, Bonovox wrote:
I don't hate them I just feel frustrated at my favourite brand

My first mobile phone was an Alcatel. Like 20 years ago. Then I bought Ericsson GH198. Since back then, I always had an Ericsson/SonyEricsson. Until now.
2 weeks ago, I went to store and wanted another SE. Badly.
Xperia Arc is too big for my needs and Neo felt so... hmm... f..ing plasic.
Now Iīm "proud" iphone owner.
Donīt even like that phone, but I newer had an option. Itīs S.A.D.
I wish, k 850i had WiFi
Maybe Ray is better? Who knows.

Disappointing another one of the Apple masses, and you don't even want it?! If none of the SE range taked your fancey you could have looked at other brands, or waited for the smaller SE phones such as the ray or mini/minipro

poor show
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 02:15
@number1
He did own an N8, but apparently it's not for him either But I really can't agree more with Bonovox about the lacking in quality by Sony, eg., none of their headphones are desirable to my eardrums, some of SE's handsfree solutions like MW600 and MH610 sound better than all their noise cancelling $130+ premium headphones combined. And has reduced themseleves to a pile of crap by over advertising features that don't work. What kind of Cybershot was C510? No Xenon, almost unuseable in dark ambience and barely got through in daylight. And now they over advertise their crappy Exmor-R sensor that is of inferior quality compared to X10, it's clearly evident even in good daylight. You think my X10 can't pull that little-Android-in-a-dark-box trick? Well think again because it already could when it was first launched over a year ago, and with even lesser noise! Yes, other companies like Samsung, HTC and Apple have their share of problems and screwups too, but they're not the ones losing marketshare. The loss in quality has now taken its toll in loss of their marketshare, and if their consumers keep defending what they're doing wrong, how can they straighten their act? Do you know how many curse words it took in Sonyericsson product blog and sonyericsson.talk for them to decide Gingerbread would be given to X10 users after all? Tough love works and now at least they've regained some sort of trust again from so many who have followed the situation. But they're starting to lose it again because their 'groundbreaking' feature is miles behind N8, repeating once again their stupidity of diluting the Cybershot branding, instead this time around it's the Exmor-R for mobiles that will soon be rubbished. You want your favourite brand to get better? Tell them what they're doing wrong, it's the only way as they have no clue as to what their consumers really want They do not have the 'premium' feel of Apple, neither do they have a much market capital like Samsung, and they are just one OEM in the Android bandwagon. The only way the can establish themselves again as a main player is by pushing what they are known for to the limit- to be leaders in imaging and audio and there's no easy way around it but to make it happen like what us consumers want it
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-08-11 06:49 ]
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 02:20
Actually with the N8 that was just the browser drove me nuts.
Phone?? What phone??
Alihosny
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 03:06
I totally i agree with bonovox ,and i am a hardcore sony/SE fanboy from ps3 to mobile phones ,but what the hell is this company doing? every product they make have degraded in quality(with the exception of PS3) look at their tvs, cameras, dvd players and mobile phones etc... . as an example, one simple problem in x10 is the ear piece volume, they failed to remember that this device main task is to make calls.meanwhile look at the prices, they are very ridiculous in their pricing strategy depending on the once great brand name and on people like us who defend bad quality for the sake of brand love. i love SE but i don't see this company surviving 2012 with this type of quality , pricing and products.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 10:18
Nice thread Bono..

I don't know why I see SE copying HTC that much! Not in designs, but rather in approach!

They turned into a smartphone-only company, adopted similar naming scheme, and concentrating on the software front and features in general to sell their products rather than the quality!

HTC's success is all due to their Sense UI. Other than that, I consider them an enemy of quality! Be it build quality, quality hardware components, or even on the software front where they do tend to release more buggy and sometimes more laggy software than the competition!

SE on the other hand, never got it right with making a killer UI, nor make the same killer widgets and apps like those from HTC.
On the hardware front, their build quality degraded by much!
And they focused on publicity stunts rather than quality. The Reality display isn't the best out there, and by a long shot. And Exmor sensor is a joke. Bad mics. Lower specs..

The Arc is almost the opposite approach of that of the Satio!
Yet, with both cases, they never got it right as they had some major deal breakers pushing the customers away!

They're playing catch-up since a while now, just following suit, and failing miserably! Gone are the days where SE were still innovators on every front where they were the ones dictating some trends and not the other way around.

As mentioned in this thread as well, even with stand-alone points and shoots, Sony lost it as well!
Panasonic and Canon pulled way ahead by now. Sony tried to revolutionize the industry with some new concepts but all turned on the expense of none but the quality!

It's been a tally of wrong decisions by Sony for a while now, losing wars on almost all fronts! If they keep this current approach and policy, the brand will lose its value in no time; if not already happened!

In comparison, look at Nokia's example! They made some wrong management decisions and fell behind with their Symbian-MeeGo-Qt strategy due to the delays they suffered. But they didn't drop the points they excelled at and went for a completely new approach. All they did is switch ecosystems since their own ecosystem didn't make the impact they were expecting.
But they haven't dropped Nokia Maps for instance. They are not changing their approach in the imaging department. They will still be producing the same killer designs and will still be focusing on high build qualities.. Why would they change what they were praised at?!

SE, after receiving all those feedbacks from Satio owners and reviewers that they had some amazing device but wrong software package, they jumped to the Android wagon, which is all good, but dropped all the pros found in the Satio in the process! Stupid is all I can say.
norbi_nw
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 10:33
+1 for Bono.

I like my X10 mini pro, but the build quality isnt great. Squeaky phone, and camera is mediocre.
I know that the Arc is suffering from cracks and squeaks too. In fact all my SE phones to date (except T610 - REAL QUALITY!!! and K700) suffered from some kind of squeakyness.
The plastic they use is really bad. +the Xperia Pro will be a fingermagnet because of the shiny plastic that covers 90% of the phone (sigh). Camera is ok, could be way better, but i already lowered my standards since the K810. For me the best pictures ever where taken with the K750.
http://norbinw.blogspot.com
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-08-11 10:43
I have to agree with Bono too.
And it's far from the first time this topic has been brought up. It's unbelievable that SE keeps spitting out crap like that.

Yet I find myself in the same situation. I don't really want another brand, because despite of these annoying things, no other brand offers what I want. So all I can do is to sit back and hope that the next model from SE will be better - and that's what I've been doing for the past many many years now.

IF some other brand would make a device with all the features I wanted, then I wouldn't hesitate to go that way.

Girlfriend bought an Arc, and I dare say my W800 took better pictures. wtf?!

I'm giving Ray a chance next, and yet again crossing my fingers that all will be fine.... and yet again it'll probably prove to be a silly thing to do.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 12:01
And you know what i have done? I have gone and bought a brand new c901. Now that is good quality though very different from what we have today its a dumb phone but it still does the same things most smartphones can do.
Phone?? What phone??
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 12:08

On 2011-08-11 10:43:51, mr_lou wrote:
and I dare say my W800 took better pictures. wtf?!

I'm giving Ray a chance next, and yet again crossing my fingers that all will be fine.... and yet again it'll probably prove to be a silly thing to do.

+1
My W800i also made better pictures then my W995i .... but ok lets hope that this are the early models,I saw online also some good pictures that were made with the mini pro...
I will wait until the Ray is out ,want to read few reviews first
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 12:34
I still insist that this build quality issue with SE is just new! They never thad these problems!

They used to have some issues in some handsets every now and then, mostly software problems, but no constant build quality issues nor low quality components and materials all over their line-up!

What models other than the current line-up feels so cheap in hand, creaking, squeaking and breaking apart even?!!

And as to their cameras, they had different approach than Samsung and Nokia. But never low quality. It was up to the end user's choice.
Is there anything that could be considered low quality in the Satio for instance (on the hardware front)? Great build quality, the plastics don't feel cheap, excellent camera, superb audio quality, very good signal quality, and so on..

Why are the Arc and the Neo so different then?

The Ray feature an aluminium unibody I suppose.. Which leaves little to go wrong regarding the build quality as well.
It has one great design too, as usual from SE..
Hope they get it right with the components though. Mainly screen and camera..
And if turns out to be a success, one could only wonder why didn't they go for the same approach with their higher-end products!!

A key factor for the Ray btw is it features the standard resolution of Android! This means it functions the same as an high-end phone. And with a 3.2" display, it has one really high PPI!

It already captured the attention of all reviewers and tech enthusiasts all over the blogosphere..

Edit: Well, somehow I got it wrong about the Ray! There is no aluminium unibody! Maybe that was a special version I once read about?
Anyway, same rubbish plastic, same approach, same stuff to expect on Neo and Arc..

[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-08-11 13:29 ]
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-11 12:52

On 2011-08-11 10:18:52, false_morel wrote:
Nice thread Bono..

I don't know why I see SE copying HTC that much! Not in designs, but rather in approach!

They turned into a smartphone-only company, adopted similar naming scheme, and concentrating on the software front and features in general to sell their products rather than the quality!

Making smartphones is the only way for any phone manufacture to survive in today's world, they would not exist if they had continued making java based dumbphones. I agree that there quality is not the best, but lets be honest it never has been the best thinking back to my K850i. When making android phones, you're going to want to concentrate heavily on the software to differentiate it from others on the market, the one area you missed out was the physically design which SE do still really well, my Xperia arc is the most beautiful smartphone out there

HTC's success is all due to their Sense UI. Other than that, I consider them an enemy of quality! Be it build quality, quality hardware components, or even on the software front where they do tend to release more buggy and sometimes more laggy software than the competition!

You're praising its Sense UI then slatting it for having doggy software, which one is it? I've never had an HTC but my friend has the wildfire and it was one robust phone, with the metal surrounding giving a sturdy finish which you could just tell would survive falls

SE on the other hand, never got it right with making a killer UI, nor make the same killer widgets and apps like those from HTC.
On the hardware front, their build quality degraded by much!
And they focused on publicity stunts rather than quality. The Reality display isn't the best out there, and by a long shot. And Exmor sensor is a joke. Bad mics. Lower specs..

I would disagree with this too, yes the X10 was a joke in terms of its UI, but that was there first attempt at an android smartphone, in the 2011 lineup the interface feels and looks really nice to use. Icons feel mature and not kiddy like samsung ones. The widgets are fine too, yeah there's timescape which no one would really practically use but it looks nice, if more are needed the android market is always there. I personally love my arcs camera, and I believe the Exmor R actually does quite a good job, when I've been in pubs or on walks in low light I can shoot without the LED flash and it produces really nice (grainy yes) photos which give a sense of the atmosphere. Normally pictures look great for me when I look at them on the computer or TV, yeah the quality goes if you zoom in but it's a phone after all.

The Arc is almost the opposite approach of that of the Satio!
Yet, with both cases, they never got it right as they had some major deal breakers pushing the customers away!

They're playing catch-up since a while now, just following suit, and failing miserably! Gone are the days where SE were still innovators on every front where they were the ones dictating some trends and not the other way around.

I think when you go through the biggest changed in the companies history, completely changing your phones think of how much work this requires. Not to mention the retraining the staff need to go through to gain experience with smartphones and the android platform, but having to literally start from strach. You're not going to expect them to be able to provide the same as Samsung and HTC who have had a head start and can develop the technology through more experienced R&D. It will take a while, but I believe soon enough they will produce top of the range smartphones. When SE first established in 2001, were they on top of their game? No, they had to work and in consecutive years they started producing phones like the W900i and the K800i which really made them stand out. This is exactly the same the company effectively has to re-establish itself in the new market.

One point not praised about SE which I think should is that in their phones design whether it be hardware or software they have never produced a product which looks similar to others on the market such as the iPhone. For a company this could be temping such as Samsung who know this is a popular phone and so design a phone with an experience similar to others. Looking at SE phones I can tell them apart because they have they're own unique look, they're not following the crowd.

Lets just hope they can pull though and produce some market leading smartphones in the near future
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-08-11 11:58 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi