Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > How Much Longer Is Sony Ericsson Going to Be Around?

Previous  1234  Next
Author How Much Longer Is Sony Ericsson Going to Be Around?
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-12 16:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi MrJulius, if your talking about the Android 2.1 Eclair update on the X10 series, it is definitely very late. It just came out when the other Android phones are already at Android 2.1 long before the X10 series got it. The talk of the town nowadays is already on Android 2.2 Froyo or the newer not yet released Android 2.3 gingerbread. Hopefully, the SE Anzu with it's Gingerbread will break this non attention of SE to software development.

Cheers.
dancingfate
K700
PM
Posted: 2010-11-12 16:08
Quoted from Mobile-Review:

Sony Ericsson X8 will quickly become the best selling Android handset from Sony Ericsson. An aggressive price of 175 coupled with a decent 3″ screen of 360 х 480 resolution will do the trick. On the other hand, Android fans will not be happy with slow updates and a different interface. The weird solution is interesting for SE fans and resembles an ordinary phone more. Traditionally, when sales go down Sony Ericsson does everything to decrease them even further. It sounds strange, but the facts point in that direction. X8 had all prerequisites for success, but the company made everything to avoid it. Details will be described in the review this week.

I agree with what Eldar said above in BOLD.
If only X8 (and X10 family) released with Eclair I'm sure it sales will be better.
Apple iPhone 4, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Sensation, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC Desire S, HTC Wildfire, S001, SO905iCS, T650 (Gold & Green), C901, W800, K660, K700, Beibei (G702), Severine (DEAD)
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-12 16:12

I agree with what Eldar said above in BOLD.
If only X8 (and X10 family) released with Eclair I'm sure it sales will be better.

+1. The X8 should had been released with Eclair out of the box instead of letting users wait for an update.
mrjulius
Aino Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-12 16:44
SE's UI is great! but late on Latest OS. hope they focus on the future not the past OS
Xperia Arc S, AinoU10i, x10m, c902, k750i,
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-12 16:49
Indeed, i also agree with Eldar, the entire XPERIA Android family had/has all the hardware, and great software ideas, but SE realy let them down with the outdated Android OS versions and weirdly taking out multitouch they are killing their own products.
X10 had the chance to be THEE Android phone of 2010, all the hardware is there, software is there but OS version 1.6 realy held all that back, SE better release Froyo as the X10 still has plenty under the hood.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-12 16:56
The x8 is fantastic I love mine even it's fixed focus camera ain't half bad. By the way the screen res is 480x320 not 360x480 but I think it's better than the minis minus the camera & for once I have had no issues with it
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-11-12 15:57 ]
Phone?? What phone??
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-13 17:16

On 2010-11-11 02:14:02, mrjulius wrote:
here, more people using nokia phone than se phones.

nokia's dominance in the Philippines could change in the blink of an eye. They're already losing market share in the low end market to dual sim phones(a killer product here where 95% are prepaid subs) from myphone&cherry mobile. Now cheap low midrange android phones from samsung,se,cherry mobile&lg have come out with just the c6 from nokia as a contender. the x8 debuted in Manila at just over $270 (unlocked)-SE had to respond to samsung or get run over. feature phone sales in the midrange will lose a big chunk of market share to android next year. Not giving up my w995 though:-)

SE has to claw its way back up and they know it. Not sure if Nokia realizes they're not top of the heap anymore in Asia.
[ This Message was edited by: NoroBiik on 2010-11-13 16:24 ]
strauts
W508 Orange
PM
Posted: 2010-11-16 07:56
and by the way, how can se sell more if sellers are not ofering se phone, i had seen in shops, of 60 phones half are nokia then a lot of lg, samsung, and others, and then about 8 are se:(, so this is all sellers fault! Isnt it.
STRAUTS
strauts
W508 Orange
PM
Posted: 2010-11-16 08:06
hei, the androie, if al android will become more popular, and if se will not mess with updates, they could come back in top 5, and nokia vill fall, couse no android phones.
STRAUTS
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-16 09:40
A bit biased but a good read nonetheless on SE's strategy.

Sony Ericsson in 2011, or Strategy Failure?! (by Eldar)

It also tlaks on Nokia's drastic decline in it's Market share.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-21 11:32

On 2010-11-16 09:40:03, jojosiscar wrote:
A bit biased but a good read nonetheless on SE's strategy.

Sony Ericsson in 2011, or Strategy Failure?! (by Eldar)

It also tlaks on Nokia's drastic decline in it's Market share.

I don't often agree with Eldar, but I do agree with his comments on in that post.
Symbian phones are not making headway against iOS and Android competitors.
are behind on WP7 and it's WM phones are dead in the water.
has ruined it's Android reputation by being too slow with OS updates.
Feature phones are a shrinking market.

I cannot see making headway from here. All manufacturers bar Apple are under pressure because of the pace of change in the smartphone market. Worse, all manufacturers are now making basically the same 4" tablet phone with 1GHz processor and 5-8 Mp camera so market differentiation for Android and WP7 models is becoming confused. The only winners in these categories are HTC and Samsung who have the flexibility to bang out new models at the speed of light, something a glacial will never be able to compete with. Sony Ericsson's traditional strengths - styling and UI - have been taken out of play as the minimalist tablet form factor with a shared OS takes over.

I read comments attributed to the CEO of SE France saying that won't be entering the tablet market. That's madness. I think that is the only market it could really compete well in. The tablet market does not move as fast as the smartphone market and has only 1 sucessful player and a whole lot of wannabee's whose products are a mishmash of copied ideas done badly. There definately is room for another well thought-out tablet.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2010-11-24 05:50 ]
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-21 11:53
SE must stay out of the tablet business and just focus all their attention on their phones.Only once they have establish themselves back in the phone arena then concentrate elsewhere.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-22 09:37

On 2010-11-21 11:53:31, Hobbs wrote:
SE must stay out of the tablet business and just focus all their attention on their phones.Only once they have establish themselves back in the phone arena then concentrate elsewhere.

This is how it works for Apple. People get the iPod Touch, get drawn in then get the iPhone or iPad. Or - they get the iPad first , like the user experience then get the iPhone or a Mac. There is one appstore for all of Apple's mobile devices and when Leopard comes (the newest Mac OSX) the Macs will have an appstore too.

It's not about just phones anymore.

(jojosiscar - thanks for the link to Eldar's article. great read)
[ This Message was edited by: NoroBiik on 2010-11-23 02:38 ]
fairen
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-11-23 01:55
I would say.. A while

SE has made quite a number of phones which really made it to the top, good music phones and good camera phones and that's mostly what matters to a lot of people.
strauts
W508 Orange
PM
Posted: 2010-11-24 17:36
jap, i think SE should make al phones with autofocus on cameras, and a flash light,
they are maded many phones with af and fl, good screen, and then suddenly a lot of weak phones with out any extra!?! So there are no chose, moust of people will take a nokia, cause the screen a little bit biger, camera little bit better!
But not me, i'll always take SE, no matters what!
STRAUTS
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi