Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE dropping symbian

Author SE dropping symbian
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 17:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ carkitter - i agree with you slightly, if it wasnt for Apple or Android coming along smartphones probably would be more boring now and app creation wouldnt have taken off like it has..

BUT - bart is right. You buy an Android or iPhone, or even a Samsung Wave running Bada and the things you grow accustomed to with a mature OS simply arent there. The menus and way in which Android and Apple approach multitasking are missing important aspects. Such things i take for granted with Symbian are not always possible with an Android or Apple handset.

Its sad but possibly true that smartphones arent so smart as they used to be and that instead of the once powerful technology behind them making them shine, its how many apps each platform has. For me thats not how i class a better smartphone. Apple have proven an app can be made for almost anything, in doing so thousands of idiots have created useless pieces of software of little purpose or value to the platform. So does that make Apple (and Android) better phones overall ? we all like choice, but no i dont think it does at all.

I check out all phones on the market when im about to buy, yet still not a single Android phone or the iPhone 4 can win my custom when i see phones like the Nokia N8. Its just the best all round package.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 17:45
My first encounter with Symbian was with the P900. Really hated it. Partly due to the fact that out of the 18 months i owned it. The phone spent 12 months back with SE and was still returned with the same problems. By this time I'd bought an S700 (1 month before general sale. First Esato member to own one) so it hardly saw any use and eventually sold it. After this i was tempted by the P990 but bought a W850 after reading of it many problems. By this time i was permanently put off symbian and uiq. I eventuall decided to take another look when i saw the p1 and took to uiq straight away and wouldn't have anything else. After the p1 i bought a w960 which i also liked (and still miss) and a g900. Wasnt happy about uiq ending as i didnt like nokia symbian. Wasnt as easy to use as uiq. Took a chance with the satio but as much as i tried i couldn't bring myself to like it. Even bought another p1 at one point.
I think if SE had supported uiq more I'd have stuck with it but have since moved to Android with the x10, mini and mini pro. Not for the apps although i have downloaded a small number. Mainly for some features that i used in uiq that the x10 has and also ease of use.
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-26 18:44
sounds so deja vue.
i had every P phone (appart from the P900) and almost every other phone SE launched, but after the P1i i was kind of waiting on something new, K800 was a decent phone, G900 looked boring, tryed some other brands, LG and nokia series 60.
i hoped the series60 would've improved over the years, but it was still abit boring and not as userfriendly.
the SE A200 platform is about the same for me as a series60 phone..
so after a long think, and several other phones, i went back to the P1i.
i'm hoping for nokia to launch a device with symbian^3 which would follow up the E72 but with touchscreen and a good camera. and a decent price tag

i hope nokia's new man doesn't love his old company. i want nokia to push symbian forworth, not meego and W7
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 21:07
Ive only had Nokia S60 Symbians. Started with a N80, then to a N81, then a 5800, i realy liked them, enjoyed hacking, tweaking and just fooling around in the filesystem, had the 5800 for 5-6months and the touch experience at 1st seemed fine but after having played with a 3GS extensively, i started getting frustrated with s60v5, luckily i had an upgrade in late July and simply couldnt wait to jump on the Android bandwagon with the X10 as my final choice, made the move and glad i did, i was originaly going to wait for the N8, but after watching many preview/review vids and looking at its specs and what i wanted i realised i was wasting my time, S^3 seems to look and work a lot like S60v5, and the lack of interest in Symbian by app and game devs. was just the final straw, one of the main reasons i jumped from my W900 to the N80 instead of W880 was due to the quality of apps, games and great modds in S60, and now that its all gone or lost its "mojo" to Android there was simply no other reason to stick around.
I dont feel like i lost anything at all, if anything i gained a lot:
-fantastic UI that is just so flexible and moddable
-Excellent support in terms of apps, games, and the XDA Modders
-The apps are of great quality and are so well supported, e.g Rockplayer must have recieved like 3updates just this past week, Gmaps is always getting new updates, i think its updated monthly etc...the support is just incredible, even on the gaming side, with Gameloft giving us their best iPhone "HD games", and EA now announcing they will be joining the Android ship.
-Multitasking, WOW, what a pleasure to do on Android, the system handles apps very well, far better than Symbian. Apps are cached if it runs out of RAM, so you can still open them and find them the way they were, none of that "Out of memory,close some apps" crap.
-The notification system is rivald by none, who ever at Google thought of this is a genius, Social networking apps, email apps, messaging apps, any app that performs a download etc...all take advantage of that notification bar, this means apps dont disturb each other, you get a notification at the top that shows a preview of the message/download being finished etc...
-Homescreen/widgets, tons of them, you even have great UI shells like ADW Launcher, Helix, Live etc...all make SPB Shell look like a piece of software thats still in Beta testing. Widgets,some allow adjusting the size and they can be removed on the fly, just tap and hold and drag it down to the bin, easy.
-Modds, from CPU overclocking,to installing 3rd party ROMs etc...its all there.
I just cant move back to symbian after gaining all that in Android, my 5800 is just for music and back-up now but even just dealing with Symbian for a few mins is just frustrating, just feels like a dumbphone, that Symbian web browser is pure crap, you wonder what people are talking about when they call symbian mature as it feels like its the one that needs to mature.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 21:13
Jesus,I was knackered after reading that Long post like reading a book on the history of smart phones all in one post
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 21:25
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 21:29
Amazing how many of us wish UIQ actually made it. I still have my P910i in its box in perfect working condition. I am currently using my P1i and there is no phone out there that makes me want to ditch my P1i.

While Apple 'revolutionized' the touch UI they have SE to thank for that. I keep going back to the UIQ 4 concepts that looked like something from the future... well, they were from the future cause they were too far ahead of anything then.

Then came the abrupt end of the UI. S60 was/is rubbish, utter and complete rubbish but Nokia couldn't let SE upstage S60 so instead of incorporating S60 into UIQ they did the opposite even though UIQ was already touch optimized and UIQ 4 was already conceptualized. Yes, S60 had a larger market and a larger developer world compared to the smaller but better UIQ. That was a blunder! It meant S60 had to be touch and time wasted. I bet if they went with the UIQ 4 concept and ported the useful elements of S60 Symbian would have been ready earlier than what it is.

Unfortunately, Nokia bulldozed everybody and the Symbian Foumdation had no choice. The results were interesting: Motorola decided they were no longer interested, Samsung seems less interested and have come up with Bada while SE is 'contemplating' dropping Symbian altogether. My take is SE has already dumped the OS, I just don't see them competing with Nokia on low to mid- end using Symbian when they see their status as that of a premium manufacturer. Android and Window tie up nicely with their 'premium' status.

Then there's Nokia, suddenly, okay, after a while they figured that Symbian was now good for low to mid- end phones and that Meego (formerly Maemo) was now their new high end. To me that simply says they realized that they screwed up with Symbian and they needed a new approach, that being Meego. Of course, competition in the form of the Iphone (touch UI) played its part.

SE deserve their Symbian misery! If you have an advantage (UIQ) you don't surrender it as meekly as they did but you work hard, improve and become the best in the face of competition.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 22:40

On 2010-09-26 14:02:25, bart wrote:
Symbian is something that evolves. if SE, motorola and nokia would've pushed hard, it would've been symbian^5 by now. things evolve, and so does source code, so the developers might've pushed the symbian foundation to make a next symbian platform totally diffirent, but keeping the good things about the previous versions...

Symbian was evolving in the wrong direction. That's why all manufacturers using it had to change tack.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 21:33
@ Tsepz_GP - i think you have just had a poor Symbian experience IMO.

Out of memory errors are a thing of the past, unless you buy cheaper Symbian handsets. Remember, if you get an out of memory error when hacking or overclocking your Symbian phone, its you causing it not the OS or its failings.

I agree S60 is rather clunky on all current phones and appears to be less sophisticated than Android, but again IMO looks are deceiving. Lets face it, the iPhone 4 looks amazing with its UI, but its probably one of the most dumb phones out there.

No phone that cannot multitask is a smartphone IMO.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 21:44
How on earth can you cause an over clocking by viewing photos I remember when I had an N73 phone & by using just one thing which was viewing photos it said OUT OF MEMORY. That's lack of ram not me causing it viewing just photos with sod all else running
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 22:19
etaab
I had a great experience up until s60v5. I enjoyed using S60, but i find Android far better. Indeed, its NOT about looks, Android aint all that pretty either, but it works far better than Symbian. UI is alot more fluid, consistant and flexible, THAT is what makes it such a joy to use and develop for. Out of memory sometimes appears randomly, there was a recent video a while ago at NokiaBlog where the review got an "Out of memory,please close apps" message with the N8, it wasnt running much, but this is a glitch ive experienced a few times since S60v3 FP1, im shocked its made its made it all the way to Symbian^3, hopefuly its sorted by release, as it popped when opening Gallery.
Ive had the errors before and after hacking.
Another major Symbian problem is lock-ups and rebooting, again, this eventualy became a sort of normality amongst us "Symbian geeks" ,but it got annoying eventualy, my 5800 i will admit was stable, but still rebooted now and again, often picking the worst times to do it, with Android all that seems to be in the past, and even if a app freezes, you get this pop-up asking to either Wait for the app to respond or Force Close which will immediatly close that app with no time wasted.
These are things i know majority of symbian users faced including myself, and are part of the reason why so many are jumping to Android. Symbian has always had weird little issues, that at 1st were accepted, but after iOS and Android proved a smartphone can be both powerful and stable, Symbian NOW has to fix/patch them up.
Indeed, no phone that cannot multitask is a smartphone, but Android can, and whipes the floor with Symbian in terms of task management.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2010-09-27 21:25 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 22:47
I completely get where Tsepz_GP is coming from on this one.

I don't understand that considering the amount of time Symbian has been around it is still subjecting it's users to memory leakage, reboots and freezes. I mean, they couldn't really expect people to carry on with that indefinitely when Android and iOS came along - it's a different world.

My last Symbian phone was Satio and I found the menu system complicated even compared to the C905 I had previously. It was unattractive and old fashioned and it was hard to 'learn' about all of it's tricks. Some people might find it fun but I found it tedious.

When I first picked up the X10 and played around with the menu system I found it hard to believe they had made things so simple to use, it was as if there was a lot of the menu missing when compared to the built in File Managers of my previous phones (well actually there is).

So now I have a phone with no bugs of which I can speak.

In the past updates came along to fix faults such as random reboots and crashes (except the Smile detection update in the C905 which was great).

Today we look forward to updates because they add features.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 23:41
@ Bonovox - ive never once had any S60 phone give me an out of memory error simply by viewing pictures or the gallery.

@ Tsepz_GP - lets face it, we're going to disagree until the day comes where Android gives everything Symbian can. But until that day comes, Android is better in your eyes, Symbian is better in mine. I still do not understand how you have such bad experience with Symbian, ive never had such issues as yourself. I suggest its something to do with various regional firmwares.

To me, memory issues are a thing of the past. I dont think i ever had a memory error with any of my Symbian phones in the past 4 years except for the day i decided to really force a memory error on my Satio by opening up everything i have on the phone at the same time. To me, all your beefs with Symbian are doubtful and hard to believe.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 23:53
Thats fine ask any ex Symbian user who has moved to Android, iOS, BB OS etc...you will get answers mentioning very similar issues.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-28 00:05
Not really, one of my best friends who owns a X10 says he'd happily go back to his old N95 8GB. He doesnt like Android or the X10 one bit. I advised him not to buy it, but he didnt listen.

Again, he had no such Symbian issues. His only problem was after 2 years of ownership the slide mechanism on his N95 gave out and the ribbon cable disconnected.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic