Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE dropping symbian

Author SE dropping symbian
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 16:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
In the swedish newspaper "NyTeknik" Jan Uddenfeldt (some big boss in SE in charge of new technology) said that they have no plans for new symbian phones.

"- Android är helt klart vårt fokus, Men vi har inte givit upp Microsofts operativsystem Windows Mobile, trots att det haft lite trögt att lyfta. Men Windows Phone 7 finns med på kartan. Däremot har vi i nuläget inga planer på nya produkter med Symbian, säger Jan Uddenfeldt."

Translation:
"- Android is clearly our new focus. But we havnt given up on windows mobile, despite its problems. Windows Phone 7 is on the map. As of now we have no plans for future symbian devices says Jan Uddenfeldt.

link: http://www.nyteknik.se/nyhete[....]m/mobiltele/article2476708.ece

Good news
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 17:14
I won't think they will stop Symbian support just right away. I mean, they can't forget their Satio and Vivaz users.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 17:30
Yes its a bitter fact but sony has ditched satio users. Dont know about vivaz support.
ESATO Most Loved & Best Asian Member MMX & MMIX
February : Shoot The MUSIC
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 17:39
They havent dropped Symbian, they just dont have any plans to produce a symbian device at the moment, Samsung said the same thing, they are focusing on Android and WP7, i think its a great move, there doesnt seem to be any developer interest in Symbian at the moment, and even as an OS it doesnt offer anything over Android.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11†2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
xnuo
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 17:43
@tranced: vivaz has a lot of bugs, and we know that even though nokia tends to resolve most of its phones problems, sometimes it does is at an alarmingly slow pace...
so for the moment, i don't think that there will be anything for those phones...
xnuo, M.D.
Proud Member of the Atomix Galaxy Note 3 clan
phonecrzy
Vivaz Ruby
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 18:40
GOOD NEWS I HATE WINDOWS PHONE 7. Symbian fine get rid of it but keep android because theres only a few that actually want windows phone 7.
Age is just a number.. Being 13 makes me no dumber than a wise old man
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 18:45
Wouldn't it be good if had it's own mart phone OS What about Symbian 3?? Is that going to offer something better??
Phone?? What phone??
phonecrzy
Vivaz Ruby
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 18:52

On 2010-09-22 18:45:26, Bonovox wrote:
Wouldn't it be good if had it's own mart phone OS What about Symbian 3?? Is that going to offer something better??

Symbian is soon to be killed by Nokia, as there next cycle of phones will run MeeGo instead.
Age is just a number.. Being 13 makes me no dumber than a wise old man
idumbakumar
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 18:55
better they can improve their android capability instead of spending the work on symbian.
nokia is there to take care of symbian.. already x10 is not seeing the light of 2.2 if they spend the resource on android there's definetly going to be down. i dont think symbian 3 offers more than android.. so its a good move by
but shouldn't forget the satio... shame a 12mp flagship is left without a care by ..
they have to learn how nokia did for N8!!!
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 19:22
Just don't want bashing here, but already dropped since show lacks of supported over S60 users.

If real supported I don't think would stop with only 2 firmwares for SATIO and VIVAZ.

It will be good to to dropping one that you can't capable of enough supported
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 19:41
Of course SE wont be using Symbian for much longer. Symbian 3 is meant to plug a hole in the market that Nokia need to do prior to using Symbian 4 and MeeGo. Nokia who have a large interest in the Symbian OS have already said it will use Symbian 3 for the near future, then Symbian 4 next year in their mid range handsets. MeeGo will take over in Nokia's flagship models.

People seem to think that Symbian is a dying platform but it is not. Its doing the job its meant to do. Manufacturers are turning to Android because its a completely fresh OS that eventually will be just as good as Symbian if not better, much better. As will MeeGo, Bada, and iOS. Symbian is simply evolving.

People have a major disatisfaction with Symbian, but thats not really fair on Symbian. Symbian has been licenced to many companies who have implemented it poorly in their phones which has given Symbian a bad reputation, which should really be directed at the hardware manufacturer. Its not pure coincidence that each manufacturer has bad Symbian implementation other than Nokia. SE, they screwed up the Satio version of Symbian, then did the same with the Vivaz. Samsung, they did a poor job too with the i8910 also. All of these phones have good hardware but a badly implemented version of a great OS.

The Symbian OS is just as good as Android, in fact its better because it has been around for longer. You can do more things on a Symbian phone than any other with possibly the exception of Windows Mobile. Android and iOS are really immature operating systems which have major shortcommings when you really compare them to Symbian if you have some technical knowledge. Look at the iPhone 4, still no true multitasking. Android, like Apple, poor Bluetooth implementation and until recently you couldnt even install apps to memory cards.

I love mobile phones and use advanced functions you get with a smartphone. Such functions arent possible with Android or iOS just yet. So come on guys, wake up, because behind Android's pretty user interface and smooth scrolling menus its very basic in its operation, which is why i still cannot own an Android or Apple phone as my main phone, they're just so bloody limited !
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 21:10
What exactly are these "advanced functions" etaab?
Have you seen Androids notification system?
Have you seen how well Android intergrates 3rd party apps with the rest of the system e.g allowing any 3rd party app to be set as default for that function?
Have you seen how well Android handles tasks? Its a great mix of how Symbian does it and how iOS does it, no matter how hard you go on Android you certainly wont come across memory errors.
and have you seen how flexible the homescreen is?
Let me not get started at how extremely open Android becomes after rooting. Android is already MORE open than Symbian before you root/hack either OS, but once rooted you have total control of even the hardware such as the CPU, and like symbian the file system.
Having used S60v3 and S60v5 side by side with Android on a daily basis, i can tell you now,theres much more you can do on Android, going back to symbian i feel limited, little things i can tweak in Android i simply cannot in symbian.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 21:19
They shouldn't drop Symbian. As a consumer? We should hope Symbian survives for the consumers sake. Google is getting a bit too 'nosey' for some people. Both OS's should be able to thrive.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 21:25
@ Tsepz_GP - under your X10's OS, are you able to send a file from your phone to my Satio via Bluetooth ?

Such a simple function, but yet so impossible from the super Android ! not without an app anyway !
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 21:50
etaab
Yes, i can, Bluetooth File Transfer comes out the box in the X10.
Next...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic