Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE dropping symbian

Author SE dropping symbian
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 12:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-10-05 10:45:38, etaab wrote:
No its a sign i havent been on Esato since Friday / Saturday and couldnt be bothered reading pages of negative biased opinions, then having to reply to them.

Reply with your positive biased opinions?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 16:49

On 2010-10-05 11:24:01, etaab wrote:
Says the guy who bases all of his comments on opinion rather than fact.

You're all coming across as Android fanboys, you're unable to say a good thing about Symbian. But i have said lots of good things about Apple and Android. You guys cannot do the same.

You even claim nobody is interested in developing apps for the N8, even though Symbian 3 SDKs were given to developers long ago. Nokia even state theres thousands of apps already available for the N8 in their advertisments. When i visit their new Ovi store for Symbian 3, it again says otherwise. Check it out

My opinions are based on long term experience with both S60 and Android having been in my hands for a lot more than a few moments with either and fact, not my problem if you are not able to take some S60 critsism. Take note of the fact that ive mainly been talking about S60v5, where on earth did i say N8 has no developer interest??? I cant say much about S^3 except for what ive seen, i said S60v5 lacked it and thats a fact, theres a lot of apps from s60v3 that didnt make it to v5, CorePlayer, THE BEST media player for S60 NEVER saw a v5 port, Smartmovie made it but hardly had any support despite being slow and unstable, Nokia's own Internet Radio app never made it, Dropbox official app never made it, eBook reader never did get a s60v5 part if i remember correctly etc... theres a lot of them, that shows a lack of interest right there,and i said just look at Ovi Store, its dry and lacks decent apps, theres very few you could realy call "must haves" unlike in v3.
I will say that S3 doesnt seem to have a large dev interest like iOS and Android did when they started off, would love to see a link that shows thousands of apps for N8, or are they just talking about a mix of apps the N8 would support as in S60v5 apps that are already there, and some S3 apps?
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 17:00
@etaab if their biased towards Android then you're biased towards Symbian
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 17:20
No, i just give Symbian the credit they deserve. If you think for a second i have a bias, then you're pretty foolish to think so. Ive always used Symbian since around 2003 whilst also owning other phones such as the T610, K700i, K750i, W880i, P900, various other phones not just SE's but i have always found Symbian very accomodating for what i need. Never perfect but the best all rounder. To this day i still find it to be so over Android or Apple, Windows or Bada. Im sick of saying how much i like all operating systems but find Symbian the better. Which it is for anyone who needs an OS with depth not pretty looks.

I take into account the advantages of all phones and their operating systems. I like all of them for what they can do and criticise them for what they cannot. Each time i see an iPhone 4 i love how it looks, i love its massive screen resolution but cannot buy one because of the features it lacks of which there are many.

I can say good things about Android, Symbian, Apple or even Windows. You all cannot. You're all blind and unable to do so. To think there is only one OS out there that is of any good is blind, uneducated and ignorant.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 18:00
I am not fussed about the Bluetooth thing in iphone cos I use Bluetooth about as often I get dates with top models. In others words never
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-10-05 18:59 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 18:08
You hardly use your new iPhone ? thats a shame. Its not just the Bluetooth functioning that would stop me using it, its other things aswel.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 19:18
Symbian looses against Android in both depth and looks, thats exactly why i moved. Symbian has great power management and for a while was excellent at task management (N95 to E71) but it has lost the latter to Android. There's my positive Symbian statement. If it wasnt for Android i'd still be on Symbian. Android is far more than pretty looks though and its modding community is even in the Android Market, there are apps in there like Super Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Manager that allows you to install/run 3rd party ROMs etc...The openess of Android and its Android Market appstore are like "smartphone geek heaven" lol, there's just SO MUCH out there for Android, it brings back memories of my early days with Symbian S60 with my Nokia N80, there was all kinds of stuff out there especialy after installing Python, but all that vanished, and suddenly Android brought in more possibilities, the beauty of it is that its an OS built for BOTH geeks and the average joe, its nice UI, fluidity and consistency makes it fun for the average joe to use and at the same time its openess mixed with the nice and flexible UI, and huge modd community make it a great combo, what also helps is the ridiculously huge screen sizes, screen res, huge amounts of RAM and seriously fast CPUs that these Androids come with, thats hardware though i know, but that whole mixture of SW, modds and HW is just amazing, it makes going back to a Symbian difficult, glad i didnt wait for the N8, as i would have kicked myself for missing all this, clutched at straws, called Android nothing but a pretty UI (due to lack of experience) and been mad at who ever critisis Symbian.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 19:29
@etaab I said I hardly ever use Bluetooth
Phone?? What phone??
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 19:31

On 2010-10-05 17:20:20, etaab wrote:
To think there is only one OS out there that is of any good is blind, uneducated and ignorant.

'Good' or 'bad' are opinions. You're upset that people don't share your opinion of Symbian?
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 19:50

On 2010-10-05 18:00:39, Bonovox wrote:
I use iphone about as often I get dates with top models. In others words never

Thats not what you said above !

@ AbuBasim - not not upset, annoyed at all of you that think Symbian is obsolete. Its not.

@ Tsepz_GP - you have no idea about me, i dont doubt you have much more Android experience than i since ive never owned one, but im far from inexperienced with the OS. Ive used it on the original G1, on several other HTC phones this past two years, the X10, X10 mini and the Galaxy S. Like i said earlier, one of my friends has a Desire, which out of all the Android phones released i think is the second best of the lot, and my other friend has a X10. Those are the two ive used the most.

You have nothing good to say about Symbian, you're just happy to jump ship to whatever is the next (overhyped )best thing. Sadly, you stepped into an obsolete X10 running a rather mish-mash version of Android where SE have had to force their own functionality into their UI that would otherwise be missing from the dated and fragmented OS it runs.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 20:00
@etaab slight mistake there I mean't to say Bluetooth I said iphone by accident
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-10-05 19:04 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-05 20:49
etaab
The funniest part of it all is that despite running Android1.6 which still has loads being done for it, the X10 works far better in terms of being a smartphone than any Symbian, and is not that different from the Desire in daily use. If i was the type to jump to every "hyped" thing i would have had an iPhone before the Android
Symbian is the KING of fragmentation, there are apps that run on N97 but not on 5800 due to lack of e.g. Compass, then amongst the high-end Symbians (N97, Satio, OmniaHD) there are certain games that run on the SE and Samsung but not on the Nokia due to hardware, we can get deeper, between the Eseries and Nseries and then touch Nseries there apps that have to be made for each separately due to the different screen res and screen ratios, as well as touch optimized vs. non-touch, you can see this even with the major apps such as Opera Mobile where they have develop them separately or even OpenVideoHUB, they have to do the same, and then the devs. have to handle two diff apps with diff issues whereas in Android its ONE for all with all apps that support usualy 1.5 to 2.x, and here you are calling Android fragmented and now we are going to have even more with S3 apps that require HW acceleration and so not working on the mighty (sarcasm) N97. Atleast with the majority of Androids running Android2.1 by end of this year it wont be bad, hard to say the same in Symbian, whats going to happen to X6 AND E72 users now that both Symbian s60v3 and touch have moved on? A repeat of the N85 to N86 mess, where N85 users were left with an old version of Nokia Maps, and Nokia Email due to the N86 having a newer S60v3 FP2 version. Atleast Google updates ALL devices with new Maps, Email, FB app etc...
gayannr
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-06 08:46
Damn! People, Let's stop this debate for god's sake
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-06 11:56
Again those are your opinions and not fact. I find the way Symbian apps are made for each phone type (s60 fp1 or s60 fp2) rather easy. Especially when an apps developer lists each device on their site individually.

Compare that to Android where apps for froyo wont work on cupcake of which the majority do not. Again thats your opinion it does when it is not the case.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 01:00
FOR YOU thats fine, but the dev has to deal with multiple apps. In Android its ONE for ALL except for a very few that are for Froyo.
LOL! Love how you say its my opinion, its fine if you cant accept what i write, but all that ive put there are problems many had, the GPU games certainly NOT opinion, certain apps working on N97 but not 5800, again NOT opinion, but FACT. N85/N79/E71 to N86/E72, NOT opinion, but again, FACT, just go through Symbian Freak, HowardForums, N95users, N81street etc...its all there.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic