Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iPhone OS 4 available now!

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author iPhone OS 4 available now!
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2010-04-16 13:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm liking the look of OS4, they have addressed a number of issues I have had so really looking forward to what they will bring with the hardware side of things...

The next iteration could be time for me to jump on the iPhone bandwagon...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-20 20:56
beta 2 is now available for anyone who is testing...

edit: gone back to beta 1 as beta 2 has all sorts of bugs including wifi issues, camera freezes when you take a pic, can only get 3g data when setting roaming mode on...

lets hope beta 3 is better than that!
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2010-04-20 23:45 ]
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-21 00:51
How did you downgrade to beta1 masseur?

Ive upgraded to beta 2 and when i plug the phone in it checks with the apple servers and comes back with 'this device is not part of the development program ,please register in the program portal'.

The phone is registered though

Thanks
[ This Message was edited by: J273 on 2010-04-20 23:57 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 00:57
fortunately I kept the ipsw from beta 1 and used itunes to reinstall it. the baseband version was unchanged and so it slipped straight in.

edit: no, I didn't see any issue like that. did you try to restore by pressing the option key when clicking on restore? thats all I did
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2010-04-21 00:00 ]
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-21 01:02
Ok thanks

Ive got the beta1 IPSW so ill try a downgrade.

edit:Yeah using the option key and selecting the beta 1 IPSW
[ This Message was edited by: J273 on 2010-04-21 00:02 ]
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-21 01:13
Hmm confused.

Ive successfully downgraded but i still get :

we're unable to complete your activation.

This device is not registered as part of the iphone developer program.

If you are a member of the program,please register your device in the developer program portal.

The phone is definably registered though as ive just checked
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 01:16
very strange since it would have had to be recognised as being in the program in order to activate the beta 2.

not sure what to suggest other than a visit to the forums
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-21 01:33
Ok thanks ill check them out.
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-04-21 07:45
I was able to register my iphone for free from a guy from youtube so now I'm testing OS 4.0 and I'm really enjoying it! The combination of folders and multitasking really change the way you use your iphone. Multitasking however only really works with apple's apps (safari, mail, ipod, youtube, maps e etc) while the developers are still updating their apps to work with it. Even so, having the app on the 'multitask tray' combined with the speed of 3gs and the 'save and close' of most apps really feel like the apps are running at the same time somehow since they become much more accessible. The new look on the ipod app is cool too. The photo app now supports faces and places but they doesn't seem to work right on my iphone. There also nice updates through out the apps like a better contacts app and a better mail app. The folders really make a difference, not having to flick sideways 3 or 4 times to get to an app is much better, thank you (it makes me think apple should have implemented this sooner).
I'm still testing the new OS and will write again if there's anything interesting ::):
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 20:07
Beta 3 just became available

I think this time I'll wait to see what comments others give before updating to this one

Anyone else going to test it?
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-05-04 21:11
I'm going to test it. I've read now that the camera is working again and that they've replaced the folders' background, it's not dimpled anymore, it's more like a 'scratched' surface.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-05 09:54
by all accounts, beta 3 is looking good. I haven't seen one negative issue reported and I've read that most issues I experienced with pervious beta seem to be fixed, so I plan to do the update tonight.

btw, rumours are starting that the new iphone, or at least the OS, will be available on annaouncement day at WWDC in June
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-05-05 10:01
I installed beta 3 and my 3G and edge disappeared. Tryed reinstalling it, restoring network settings, nothing worked. I'm getting back to beta 1 now to see if it fixes the problem.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-05 10:10
you might have a problem restoring to beta 1. I'm sure you can't do it using xcode and it may not be validated by itunes any more as I heard it now expired.

let us know how you go

edit: btw, are you sure you loaded beta 3 and didn't accidentally load beta 2 (maybe you still have that IPSW in the same folder?)? I ask because I (and others) lost 3G connectivity with beta 2 unless I turned data roaming ON.
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2010-05-05 09:50 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-05-06 10:09
ok, got beta 3 installed last night.

This time I installed the beta 3 SDK and that enabled iTunes to backup the settings on my mac.

I did the update and then restored the settings on the mac. Then I was able to connect to my vaio, and itunes on the pc magically restored all my previously selected apps, videos, pictures, music etc. The last couple of updates I had to manually reload all those so this was a simple. I had no idea that I could just backup and restore the settings on the mac and subsequently restore the content on the pc.

beta 3 is a vast improvement though I am still seeing the odd strange behaviour. Beta 1 pervented the Thomson Reuters news app from dislpaying news pages, instead crashing back to the desktop. That now works again in beta 3 but the London Metro app no longer displays the cover images in its edition coverflow correctly, although you can still select the current edition and then all the pages within the newspaper display correctly.

will be testing more today but I think this beta version is a good step in the right direction
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic