Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iPhone OS 4 available now!

Author iPhone OS 4 available now!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 19:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
wired article

Apple will preview iPhone OS 4 on Thursday 10am pacific time (thats 18:00 UK time).

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2010-06-21 18:28 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-04-05 19:59
Hooray Do you think it will be released in time for summer?
Phone?? What phone??
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-05 20:41
Can't wait, I hope we get week view in the calendar app!
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-05 21:28
Well I wanna know what they plan to do with it
[ This Message was edited by: lukechris on 2010-04-06 09:13 ]
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-05 21:55
Looking forward to see what they do next with the os
Posted from an iPhone
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-06 10:25
They've seriously gotta do something pretty special to keep them selling. They are getting a kind of "same old same old" kinda thing now and its boring me. I have had 2 iPhones before and sold them within around a month. Their simply nothing special, I came from WinMo 5, then went to an iPhone, went to WinMo 6, tried another iPhone, sold it and I really am happy with WinMo 6.5. It's not unstable like people say it is and it is a really good OS to use.

Apple need to step up the screen resolution, no matter how awkward it will be. Yes, all apps are currently written in 320×480, but all the "good" apps that people use are still being developed anyway so a re-write wouldn't be too much of a problem, plus it would probably make them better anyway (coding wise). Why not 480x800, I'll tell you why, its Apple's attitude, "whats the point in change if something is working". Yes, I suppose they did do it in the iPad, but a lot of the apps are scaled up from 320x480 to 1024x768 and it looks hideious

Does anyone honestly think they will change the hardware any time soon? They are probably not going to change hardware until they really, really have too, i.e. when 4g is available WorldWide.

What do I think we can expect from this update, erm, to be honest, nothing special, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Remember, this is Apple we are talking about here!
[ This Message was edited by: lukechris on 2010-04-06 09:26 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-04-06 12:19
There's bound to be new hardware in the summer (for which OS 4 is primarily designed) and yes, of course it will sell by the bucketload! Aside from anything else, just look at the JD Power surveys on user satisfaction with the iPhone - it leads other smartphones by a mile. Sure, they're not for everyone, but I'll bet most of those who bought a 3G 18 months ago are in the same position as me right now - just waiting for the new phone to hit before I upgrade.

I think they'll probably up the screen res - the iPad's already shown how existing apps can be "upscaled" automatically, or reworked so that they run on both iPad and iPhone in the respective native resolution - the 4G will just add a third flavour to the mix. Upscaling will look plenty better than it does on the iPad, since while the resolution may be changing the screen size won't be (significantly), so I don't suppose older apps will look any different than they do now. I don't honestly think there's a massive need for a higher resolution and it is a bit of a keeping-up-with-the-Jones' thing, but since they ignored it with the 3GS it's probably about due now.

Multitasking is again, honestly, not something I think there's a massive need for, but it's another box to tick for those that like to pick fault with these things - I sincerely hope that if they introduce it, they make it super-easy to manage and not the default for everything, because personally I think having to go back to task managers and killing processes all the time would be a big backwards step. 99% of the time, as long as apps switch quickly enough when you need them to, there's really no need to keep anything alive in the background - not since push notifications came along anyway.

A summer launch for the 4G would put it out well ahead of Windows Phone 7, and up against what is still a very fragmented Android market - just take a look at the X10's lack of multitouch for another reason why Android apps won't be catching up with the iPhone's appstore any time soon.
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-06 12:25
I agree with most of what you say to be honest. You are an iPhone user and you do actually reflect a lot of what I think. Do you agree that Apple are sort of holding back and being a bit greedy, knowing that they should be bringing out slightyly competitive hardware but their not doing?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-04-06 12:35
I agree there's an element of that, but then again why not - it's their strategy and it's worked well for them so far. They invest a lot more than the average Android or Windows Mobile manufacturer on software development, they've created a unique OS experience all of their own and helped drive the biggest collection of apps avaialble for any phone, and that's what people are buying the phone for - they don't need to compete point for point with HTC on hardware as well.

They'll probably always be behind on raw specs - whatever they bring out in June/July will be bested on processor, camera, memory and whatever else by the end of the year if not before - but the software experience will be second to none, and that's what their target market will go for.
brys182
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-06 12:43
multi tasking feature
Don't be so quick to judge me, you only see what I choose to show you.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-08 19:52
New framework with hardware accelerated maths functions

1500 new APIs providing access to many internal features like calendar, photo library, etc
100 new user features
bluetooth keyboard support

7 major additions:
multitasking
folders - for grouping apps
enhanced mail - unified inbox, multiple exchange accounts, organise by thread
ibooks! (with free Winnie the Pooh!)
enterprise - better data protection, mobile device management, wireless app distribution
game centre - social gaming network
iAd - (a different way to have) mobile advertising in apps, interactive, easily added by developer, 60% revenue to developer

developer preview available today, end user release in summer. 3gs and ipod touch 3rd gen can do all, iphone 3g, ipod touch 2nd gen cannot do all new features, including multitasking

os4 for ipad in the autumn
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2010-04-08 19:05 ]
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-08 20:04
multitasking only for 3gs (& touch equivalent).
Posted from an iPhone
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-04-08 20:43
ok, I've downloaded OS4 beta 1 but will wait a day or so to see if others have problems installing it before I give it a go
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-08 20:46

On 2010-04-08 20:43:14, masseur wrote:
ok, I've downloaded OS4 beta 1 but will wait a day or so to see if others have problems installing it before I give it a go

Have you developed anything you would like me to test?
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-04-08 21:20
Very nice update. Again, apple is not 'introducing new things' but giving its version on how specific functions should work. One question, do you have to be on the developer program to install beta OS 4.0? If I download it and install it on my 3gs, will I be able to activate it and use it?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic