Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Has Satio been a big failure?

Author Has Satio been a big failure?
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2010-03-03 19:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-03-03 19:03:38, 10123 wrote:
once you go exeon you never go back .

Too true...
satioste
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-03 20:14

On 2010-03-03 10:41:20, Luhccas-U1a wrote:
I think new units are better than first pieces,based on some posts.
Mine is 10W03 and are working well and stably on R1CA037.
No freezes or sudden crashes since first day,battery keep 2 days easily(medium/heavy use),GPS works like a charm with Ndrive,camera is excelent,video recording too,the native player sucks but powermp3 makes me forgot it(LCG jukebox too),games runs flawlessly(Lets Golf HD,Ferrari GT HD,some emulators etc),apps are ok(i have more than 30 installed and working well)...
I haven't problems with my Satio and can't agree with generalization... If you have problems with your Satio,i just can say:
-Sorry and better luck on your next device.

Cheers!

pretty much agree with luhccas on this one
Monaco
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-04 02:54

On 2010-03-03 03:27:49, DrewVL wrote:
Monaco

Just smack it real hard like a mad woman when you hate it and kiss it real good like a lady in love

lol! sometimes I think women are easier to deal with than my Satio
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-03-05 16:51

On 2010-03-02 23:58:03, Monaco wrote:
Piece of crap Satio has a horrible resale value, I bought mine a couple of weeks after it came out, at that time I got a great deal 400 pounds. It's an ok phone right now but it is continuously inferior when compared to my friends' iphone 3gs.

All the 3gs games are more fun and high quality, all of the apps are more efficient, practical and useful. Only thing the Satio has is its 12mp camera, the recording is pretty bad because the Iphone records higher quality audio while the Satio records higher quality video.

I'm going to say the Satio is not worth the high price that I paid for it. And anybody that is going to tell me to get rid of it, save your tongue, its a love/hate relationship between the Satio and I.

Sounds like you had the same problem as me. I thought the video quality was great..compared to older SE's. The camera is what I miss it was very good but interface wise I liked the C905 one better. Yep the satios just don't hold there value not sure why. I found the value of one new is high but own it a day it take £100 off it. I was lucky I had about 5 offers before I sold mine. Pixon 12 is actually worse they go for pennys second hand..well £150 pounds on ebay. The whole 12MP thing has not taken off. I am bored with the same phone but glad to get rid of the satio as a phone. A W995 with a Satio camera would do me nicely!

Safe to say avoid Satio unless you need a very good camera phone?
[ This Message was edited by: se80 on 2010-03-05 15:53 ]
Luhccas-U1a
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-03-05 22:17
Your money guide your choice.
[ This Message was edited by: Luhccas-U1a on 2010-03-05 21:19 ]
is a lifestyle!
peacemf
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2010-03-17 00:13
reading through this thread its quite mixed views.......

so satio or n97? lol....

but more importantly, at least the satio has satnav out of the box (with turn by turn nav).
msn messenger, email etc....
Had: two ericsson's, two startac's, samsung a100, panasonic, nokia 7600, nokia 8100, sony s700, w800i, k750i, k810i, now k850i
Luhccas-U1a
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-03-17 02:55
N97 is the real big failure...
Even Nokia admits it.
is a lifestyle!
Acibeb
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-13 13:53
@SE80

Satio is a rubbish phone, and there is no fix for it. The only possible fix can be applied to it's image, but that works mainly with kids and young students who don't really know anything about anything and have no idea that they can use their phone for things other than texting and calling. This is why there are so many positive reviews for such a horrible phone. Also, people fitting this criteria will most likely have owned something very cheap previously and this is likely to be their first proper pda, so they will have nothing to compare it to and will naturally, be delighted with it. Some people will simply refuse to believe that they are stuck with such a horrid product for the next 18 months, and will try and make it look like they are enjoying it.

Satio is an atractive looking phone after all, and most youngsters are all about appereance over everything else, so you shouldn't expect objective debate on this forum.
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-08-13 14:50

On 2010-02-20 13:03:25, se80 wrote:
*I've rarely seen anybody with one. Any touch phones I see are Samsung and LG or Nokia.

I have, not many, but I see them now and then. But everyone wants a touch phone nowadays, and there are many brands and models to choose from.

*It's over priced.

No sure about that. It's the same price as any other similar phone

*It's second hand value makes it unsellable expect to lose big bucks on it.

No phone has a significant seconfd hand value. My old phones are either broken, given away to someone desperately in need of a phone, or placed in a drawer. I don't think I have ever sold a phone I have owned.

*SE probably won't use the same OS on the next model.

They released Vivaz quite soon after Satio, isn't that a Symbian S60 V5 too? But I agree, Android is probably the future.

*The camera is a let down it's no better than a C905 and it takes pictures in silly widescreen.

The 12 megapixel mode takes 4x3 photos, it's only the 9 Mpixel mode that takes widescreen pictures. But I don't find that so bad.

*It's been withdrawn all over due to software bugs. I even heard Vodafone have preeminently stopped stocking them.
*The mega pixel war is over. We have never seen these rivals from LG and Samsung's Pixon 12 has been too low profile.

I can agree on that. My Canon EOS 400 takes far better pictures, still with "only" 8 Mpixel sensor. But it may have somrthing to do with the Canon EOS EF lenses attached in front of the sensor ...

*The apps is a big let down. Anybody expecting an Iphone lookalike will be let down.

I have found a lot of funny apps, and they are for free, too, which is something rarely found for fullly working versions on the iphone.

*The battery life is unusable. If you want a phone drained in a day buy it.

It's improving the moe times the battery is recharged. This is a problem for most smartphone. All Iphone owners complain about the same thing, and they cannot bring a spare battery.

*Using Symbian and moving away from supported M2 sticks since 2006 was a mistake if you ask me.

Since were the only ones using the M2 format, I think the SD format was a very positive change. M2 sticks are generally more expensive than SD.

*It's far too big.

Not bigger than an iphone

*The packaging is rubbish. They could have atleast printed a proper manual rather than a Kinder Egg manual.

The full manual is packed on the memory stick in PDF format in more than 20 languages
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-15 02:55

On 2010-02-21 05:58:55, jackau wrote:
Satio is not yet a failure, but pretty close.

I own one and I must say, it is very disappointing, since with out hacking it, there are even less software than the K800i, so smart phone it is NOT!
Are you crazy?....
It's Symbian, there are thousands of apps for it! There is the Play Now store, okay not as many apps as market or app store, but atleast the apps are signed. There are also hundreds of pieces of freeware. Yes you do have to sign many of them to install them, but this can be done relatively easily and without hacking the handset.

As far as less software than K800, wtf?? Java aps run on Satio, and using the virtual keybord app most non-touchscreen java apps work fine on the satio.

Okay, I understand where you are coming from...Symbian have this stupid signing fixation...it's too expensive for freeware developers to sign their applications so many of the best apps for Symbian touchscreens need signing before they can be used. It's stupid, but you can get around it. You can get free certs (IMEI specific though), and there is even an application for signing apps that will run on the handset itself.

That said there are still a lot of free and pay apps that are pre-signed and ready to go. You just aren't looking hard enough.

Satio is still the only Smart phone with 12mpx camera and xenon on the entire market.

Yes, and for some this is an important requirement (atleast the xenon flash, don't care about MP as long as it's 8MP atleast). The Satio flash is truly legandary. Best yet on any cameraphone to hit the market.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-15 03:04

On 2010-02-21 11:26:00, Bonovox wrote:
HxH you may laugh at my saying of Samsung being more reliable but in truth they are. Over the years i have had SonyEricsson and Nokia and every single phone alway have software issues. Now judging that against quite few Samsung phones i have had from experience not one single Samsung phone i have had has crashed frozen or turned itself off during use. That my friend is from experience. Right outta the box no problems with the Jet yet with everyone else there is always constant issues. Another reason why Samsung are biting Nokia's backside.

I have to agree with this generally speraking. Samsung have excellent build quality and their software testing is more complete than either SE or Nokia (neither of whom put much effort into pre-release testing).

However that said, the Samsung i8910 I owned before the satio, apps seemed to crash and lock up frequently where as I never have any issue with crashing on the Satio. The Satio is rock solid.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-15 03:27

On 2010-02-28 19:26:19, se80 wrote:

*12MP camera who needs it? Even media analysts admit the mega pixel war is over as UK phone companies aim to tackle the apps market.

The extra three MP's do come in handy. Sure it's not the most important feature of a camera, sensor quality is. But compared to the C905, which has the second best camera in a phone anywhere (second to Satio, overall), the Satio has just as good quality. It doesn't suffer for having 12MP, so what's the big deal. In macro shots, and landscape shots the extra MP help with image quality. You could resize on a computer to 8MP equivalent and the images will be clearer than the C905 8MP.

*Far too big

This is just non-sensical. It's significantly smaller than iPhone 3gs. It's smaller than most of the Samsungs mentioned. Yet it's large enough to make viewng movies comfortable, and large enough to make web browsing useful. It's the perfect size

*Wowfully bad touch screen
Not so. This is a matter of preference, but the main thing is it's a resitive touch screen not capacitive. You need a different style of use compared to the Samsung i8910 or iphone (for example). If you tap the screen with your finger nail rather than touch it, the response is just as good as iphone. If you want to use your fingertips, then you need to use more pressure than a capacitive touchscreen, but once you get use to it it's just as easy to use. tbh I prefer resistive touchscreens because I can use a stylus or my fingernails to click much more precisely than I can with my fingertips on capacitive touch screen. All in all it's a matter of personal user preference, not a technical issue with a yes or no answer.

The touchscreen is EXCELLENT on the Satio. Absolutely superlative...for those of us who prefer resistive style screens. For those who prefer capacitive, why not check out the excellent X10 rather than rabiting on about how crap you think the Satio is?

*Second hand value falls fast.

By the time you have had a phone for a year or two it's gonna be worthless compared to the cost of a new unit anyway. This is true of any phone. Just because you bought a phone thinking it was gonna be something that it's not (an iphone but smaller than an iphone, capacitive screen, app store apps when it's not even an apple phone) and now you want to unload it. Sounds like you should've got an iphone...?

I bought the i8910, then two months later turned around and bought the Satio because I couldn't stand the slow camera on the i8910, but do you see me on Samsung forums bleeting about how bad the i8910 is? No, infact I have a lot of respect for the phone, even though it cost me $800 to find out how slow the camera was. Infact, the reason I bought the Samsung first, was the Satio touchscreen seemed less responsive than the i8910, but in hindsight, now that I've learnt how to use the Satio screen effectively I actually find it faster and easier to type on than the i8910.

So Satio wins out for me on both touchscreen and camera, and I'm now a very happy chappy.
[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2010-08-15 02:30 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi