Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Has Satio been a big failure?

Author Has Satio been a big failure?
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 13:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
*I've rarely seen anybody with one. Any touch phones I see are Samsung and LG or Nokia.
*It's over priced.
*It's second hand value makes it unsellable expect to lose big bucks on it.
*SE probably won't use the same OS on the next model.
*The camera is a let down it's no better than a C905 and it takes pictures in silly widescreen.
*It's been withdrawn all over due to software bugs. I even heard Vodafone have preeminently stopped stocking them.
*The mega pixel war is over. We have never seen these rivals from LG and Samsung's Pixon 12 has been too low profile.
*The apps is a big let down. Anybody expecting an Iphone lookalike will be let down.
*Build quality is pitiful. The chrome plastic on the side is like a cheap toy. It's awful.
*The battery life is unusable. If you want a phone drained in a day buy it.
*Using Symbian and moving away from supported M2 sticks since 2006 was a mistake if you ask me.
*It's far too big.
*The packaging is rubbish. They could have atleast printed a proper manual rather than a Kinder Egg manual.
*Nokia N97 using the same software seems more a hit.
*The hype of the phone's gone since they binned 'Cybershot' and 'Walkman'.
*Not sure on actual figures but the W995 seems to be doing better in the UK. Phones4U have it second to the Iphone in popularity. W995's seem to be everywhere because not everybody wants there wowful touch screens. There's no character with them. We could easily have a 3" screen with a keypad and a good camera. The Samsung Innov8 for example is what can be done with a candy bar slide design.
*Iphones sales contuine to grow.
*LG and Samsung are filling the market with mid and low range phones to clean SE out...Viewtys, Cookie, Jet, Omina Lite, Tocco lite.
*SE's standard has gone and now it's hit or miss what phone you buy depending on what software it runs.
*Satio is poorly supported for apps and games.
*No HD record.

I seriously can't wait for Satio to go to the dustbin of mobile history like the awful 'C905' good phone but unreliable. But the Satio is worse as it's a terrible phone, faults or no faults I absolutely hate it.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 13:06
I've had both the C905 and the Satio. Love them both.
Oh, and the fact that your Satio was shooting pictures in widescreen would mean that you were shooting in 9MP mode, which would explain why the pictures weren't any different from the C905's.

PS. How many posts do you have to make complaining about the Satio? We got it already. Your unit was shit. End of story.
[ This Message was edited by: NightBlade on 2010-02-20 12:07 ]
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 13:45
Agree fully with NightBlade
Nothing major wrong with the Satio , a little buggy but will be resolved with new firmware.
Phone takes great photo's, it does soooooo much more than my K850i ever could
Masses of Apps put there if you bother to look
Satio was never sold as HD so hard luck, again yes its big but you know that when you buy it
I dont buy a phone for the packaging, I buy it for the phone
The build quality on mine is excellent, no plastic sides
Anyone aho bought this as an iphone "LOOKALIKE" is surely blind
Time you sold your Satio and moved on from endless posts complaining about it.
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 14:01
who wants to be seen with the same phone as everyone,if so get a iphone/5800/cookie.
it was a bit pricey,though got mine for £400 pay as you go.
most phones second hand value goes down after initial release.
they might not use symbian but with it being open source now,who knows.
i find the camera better than the c905(which i had before i got my satio)with sharper,better focused pictures.
still selling and being advertised,hopefully any bugs will be ironed out with the next firmware update.
maybe sony ericsson won the megapixel war!!!
plenty of apps if you take time to search.
battery is pretty poor.
dont see a problem with micro sd.
the size is ok,if you want a phone with a small screen,get a small phone.
the packaging is the way it is for environmental reasons.
the n97 has been recalled/withdrawn for various faults as well.
the satio seems to sell well,nothing will better the iphone for sales now that all the networks have it.
not everyone wants a sub £100 samsung/lg.
the build quality of my satio is solid.
most nokia n97/5800 games apps work if you sign them.
no HD record but what has?2 or 3 phone maybe.
as you can tell,i like my satio.
galaxy note8
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 14:21

On 2010-02-20 13:03:25, se80 wrote:
*I've rarely seen anybody with one. Any touch phones I see are Samsung and LG or Nokia.

...and that's what makes me like it even more,
One word; Exclusivity...
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 14:32

On 2010-02-20 14:21:01, gola wrote:

On 2010-02-20 13:03:25, se80 wrote:

...and that's what makes me like it even more,
One word; Exclusivity...

Rubbish. The Satio has been a failure.

LG and Samsung are profound for making affordable and solid handsets. They also made there mistakes for example the Omnia HD has been a bit of a failure never really took off now it's gone.

As somebody who has been a fan since the K700i days I have the right to judge these flagship camera phones. I was wary of Satio but gave it a chance. It's been the biggest disappointment yet.

I won't rule out another touch phone but it has to be a mile better than satio. Give me a three year old Viewty over satio anyday.
[ This Message was edited by: se80 on 2010-02-20 13:33 ]
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 14:42
I agree 100% with the comments made by Nightblade,Larry and Daviep.
As for price. I got my Bordeux Satio for £200 brand new and also got a 2nd hand black Satio for £200. Both phones have run problem free. Build quality is excellent (bordeux has squeeky battery cover syndrome that all SE phones eventually develop).
The chrome edging on the black looks good but will wear off over a long period of time (its black underneith). The bordeux doesnt have any chromed parts which is slightly better. Thouch screen is fine. Camera is great (I've owned all the previous Cybershot phones and still have my gold RELIABLE C905 as backup). The apps i've found are hit and miss but i found mostly useful. The Satio isn't overly big at all. Its just slightly bigger than the C905 and sooooo much thinner and more responsive than my LG Renoir, Cookie and Crystal. Big screen is good. I get 2 days battery and thats with streaming music via bluetooth for 4 hours a day, few hours of wifi/mobile internet a day plus occasional calls and camera usage.
I never used S60 before the Satio. Only previous experience of Symbian was UIQ but its was easy to pick up and have had no problems finding and setting up the phone.
Overall the Satio is a keeper IMO just like my S700 and K800 were.

Myself and others have tried to help you with your satio but you still wern't satisified. Yours was O2 branded which had some things disabled and you were also advised of ways to get the phone as it should be and not spend any money doing it.

The Satio is a popular phone imo. Quite a lot of people at work want one and also my customers are always asking about them. Sure it got off to a shaky start but Satio v2 is doing really well since relaunch.
Oh and the memory card changing is also a good thing as micro SD's are more affordable than M2's.
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
se80
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 14:50

On 2010-02-20 14:42:00, Rookwise wrote:

Myself and others have tried to help you with your satio but you still wern't satisified. Yours was O2 branded which had some things disabled and you were also advised of ways to get the phone as it should be and not spend any money doing it.

I don't need any help with Satio. I hate Symbian, the build quality is awful and no different model of it would make any odds it felt the same as the demo in the shop. I never realised how bad it was until I got one.

The only good thing is the camera. This is the quickest I've got shot of a phone since my Nokia N95.

Back to a new working W995.
gharknes1
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 14:52
SE80 most of what you posted are opinion not fact, which you are entitled too.

I made a choice when I got a Satio, there was/is nothing better out there ....simple choice - bonus with xenon flash

My recommendation to you is go buy something you can cross all those points out with lol, I looked at LG Samsong and Nokia, I am confident I made the right choice and after 2 months of use I am absolutly sure.
masada1971
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 14:53
of course not..for me personally,a big success,after many years for ...i am completely satisfied with my Satio almost in every aspect...
Lembo
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 15:16

Rubbish. The Satio has been a failure.

Why ask the question then?

I just found mine a frustrating at first but after a bit of customising I really do enjoy it now.

P.S. I found it very clever of to place the manual on the memory card. Save the planet and all
volvoman
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-02-20 16:38
se80 you say you hate symbian, so why do rant on about how good samsung and nokia are, when they too run symbian in the phones you mention. So I think now we all get the message you hate your Satio, well I hatemy N97, and now use a Satio, and I am more than happy with it, I too have used Ericsson products from day one, started with them in 1996 and have used Ericsson and SE products ever since, with the odd exception in a handfull of nokias along the way, normaly used along side a Ericsson or SE phone as well. My C905 has never been a problem, takes brilliant pics and I still use it along side my Satio. My Satio is awesome, no reboots no issues at all that have made any difference to daily running, I use it as a sat nav, camera phone and pc so have used most features of the phone, Have installed many apps on it, which are easy enough to find if your look. Why do you feel the need to carry this on any longer slagging off the Satio at every given oppotunity, just sell it and go and buy something else, Satio prices are still quite high, but if you are that sick of it, you would be prepared to cut your looses and move on. Maybe you have installed ivy software or apps on yours which is causing issues, as for the camera on the Satio, it is the best camera I have used ever. I have a Sony 8meg camera which was as good as the C905, and my Satio wins everytime, no need for anything other than the Satio, yes battery life could be better, but whats wrong with charging it everyday anyway.
C702i x 2, T650i, K850i, W850i, K810i, K800i, tomtom GO 910, Brodit proclips.

zide
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 17:25
You look like a crying baby se80. Satio is a great phone and you should start thinking and judging things properly before you criticize them.
maplingstori
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 17:42
Satio rockssssss...! i'm sure sony will resolve all problems/bugs with updates.. they will never let this kind of phone go to waste..
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 17:57
Had mine for 3 months now and still finding new things to do, today I changed the music player for a cooler customisable one with EQ and Kinetic scrolling, makes scrolling through music library a breeze.
Phone gets better and better the more you play with it, I have KS now in music, contacts and photo's.
Dumb phones arent called dumb for nothing, be prepared to customise and its a great phone.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi