Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Satio Vs iphone

Author Satio Vs iphone
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-25 10:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
There is no way S60 will be able to compete with the iPhone in many terms even by the time Satio will actually hit the market.

Symbian should learn from Android and Apple and come up with something new instead of trying to add to the old, if Apple can create something better than S60 and continue to add to that success and Android follow suit then surely Symbian should learn from this, S60 is a tired old dog not apt at learning new tricks!
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-07-25 10:41
Agreed, S60 touch has been less than successfully implemented on current devices, this bodes ill for the Saito IMO.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2009-07-25 12:23
@Nanu

Why do I get the feeling you think I meant that S60 will eventually compete with the Iphone's touch ui? Unless I'm misunderstanding your post but I actually wrote exactly what you wrote. The only point that is somewhat different is that I see Nokia's and SE's appstores closing the huge gap that exists now between them and Apple in terms of apps.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-25 15:50
You haven't misunderstood my post and you did write exactly the same in a roundabout way I was just expressing my opinion in agreement to your statement!
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-26 10:19
Why is everyone, from Symbian to Microsoft to Android, now rushing to open or build up a central app store? Because in one year, Apple have sold more apps and got far more of their users downloading and extending their devices than the competition has in the last ten years. That's why.

everything in one place and own distribution model which excludes other distributors. no need to create ideology to AppStore, it's just simple way to make profits and of course it's the same reason for other companies. we could stop here but I think you missed very important thing, even with central store you will be able to purchase apps from other distributors or directly from developers. you don't need central store to install apps in fully legal way like with iThing and AppStore

It's a commercial decision for any existing developer - yes you need to invest a little time, money and effort in making the switch, on the other hand you'll be able to make better applications, which are easier to code, and potentially much easier to sell. You pays your money and you takes your choice - and it's a choice that's worked out very well for many

sounds pretty easy but it's not. at start - it's just very expensive without any good reason. in other words, this what you must pay, and what you can gain is like Russian roulette. you can become the owner of iPhone/iTouch and iMac with almost none profits from AppStore. you will say "it was your decision", well of course but this decision do not include "success guaranteed" then why it must be so expensive decision?

That's your theory and that's fine

only loose thoughts

Personally I think it's "quite obvious" Apple don't want J2ME bypassing the Appstore because anything that weakens the Appstore framework is actually bad for consumers and developers, and of course that's bad for Apple in the long run too.

surely bad for profits from AppStore. first time I heard that limited ways of distribution is good thing for developers

Add the fact that anything J2ME can do, a native iPhone OS app can do better (and probably cheaper) and the whole argument becomes a null point.

cheaper? maybe someday, nevermind. you still don't get my point, it's not a choice between good and better because implemented J2ME support will never bring down and devaluate native features. it's just stupid to say that J2ME can be competitor for native OS. does it really make any difference to you if iPhone will get Java support? it shouldn't because you won't use it anyway, right? so, what's the point of your objection? iPhone without Java is good and iPhone with Java is bad? argument of games "quality" is pointless, I assure you that with all goodies (fast CPU, big screen, hardware 3D, motion sensors) J2ME games can be great on iPhone, besides do not focus only on top quality games on iPhone, look wider and you'll find a lot of weak and ugly games. that's normal and I don't think that J2ME is supposed to be ashamed of something

we see Java in different light - you are user and I'm developer which would like to have more possibilities less expensive mainly at start. as for now I have golden handcuffs on hands (with Apple logo and blessing)
[ This Message was edited by: Raiderski on 2009-07-26 09:19 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-26 20:01

On 2009-07-26 10:19:32, Raiderski wrote:
everything in one place and own distribution model which excludes other distributors. no need to create ideology to AppStore, it's just simple way to make profits and of course it's the same reason for other companies. we could stop here but I think you missed very important thing, even with central store you will be able to purchase apps from other distributors or directly from developers. you don't need central store to install apps in fully legal way like with iThing and AppStore

No, there's more to the appstore's exclusivity model than simply profits for apple. They charge 30% commision on sales, that's a lot less than the going rate from the likes of Handango etc - and in return you as developer get the undivided attention of 45 million "ithing" device owners, to borrow your term. And *that* is the real point - one market, common to all, where every app is equal and the best rise to the top. The economies of scale for all concerned mean that iPhone apps are typically a fraction of the price of their eqivalent (or even identical) apps on other platforms - that wouldn't be the case if every developer had to cover all the bases, pitch in every market, and pay every other middle man as is currently the case elsewhere.

The others aren't locking things down to a single central AppStore because they *can't* - android's open source and the rest all have a heritage to deal with, all of which was based on the assumption that a free market was best was best for everyone. Personally, as a user I spent about five years using "open" operating systems and getting my apps wherever I wanted, and I now have many more apps of far better quality (that I've actually paid for) now on my iPhone than I ever aquired for those other phones.
JonClayton
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 00:51
I love my C905 but the newness has worn off of it, I love its camera and media player functions and the fact I just drag and drop my mp3's onto the phones stick easily. I do dispair that the Internet browser is the same as on my last 3 SE phones the k850i, k800i, k750i... I find myself when at work borrowing a friends Iphone to get online and check things like looking up telephone numbers on websites, getting google maps and generally browsing things like ebay and this just annoys the hell out of me..
Why is my C905 so far ahead on camera, media player and general range of options available, yet on its internet browser, screen size and ease of use so far behind.

Am I really just loyal to SE for a few silly things I hardly ever do?
like sending Mp3's via bluetooth to friends, or being able to text using actual buttons not a touchscreen. I also like being able to send a picture messages or video messages or use bluetooth stereo to my in car bluetooth kit.

Am I really that big of a hater of Itunes, maybe I could learn to get to love it, maybe using it for a while it would grow on me.Maybe I shouldn't care that it will inevitably try to rearrange my music collection, change all the tracks to some aac crappy format, get incorrect song names and album pictures and generally make it impossible to find an album from my 90gb of mp3's

I don't know im just left wondering how I can get out of my 18month contract for either an Iphone or Satio when its released. The satios browser best be upto par with the iphone or my decision is made for me.
I hear Jailbroke Iphones can do drag and drop file transfer and bluetooth file sending now and i'm even more tempted.
I have a big feeling the satio is going to be a disapointment much the same as my c905 and that pains this SE fanboy a lot
walgman
C905 Gold
PM
Posted: 2009-10-12 21:43
The reason however while I will be abstaining from this phone is its lack of a 3.5mm headphone socket. To use my C905 as a walkman I have to use an awkward and chunky converter and although the sound quality is excellent its simply not loud enough to drown out the sound of the train I get into town. This means I carry a phone and an ipod.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2009-10-13 00:05
Are you sure? I mean, my ears start hurting if I leave my music playing on max volume for too long (30-40 mins), using my C905. Volume's never been an issue.
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-10-13 01:24
the only thing that keeps me away from an iphone that it was way too computer dependent. And if you happen to break it having it fix is just too expensive and service centre is non-existence.
[ This Message was edited by: titus1 on 2009-10-13 00:31 ]
Sator1973
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-08 01:01
I have my Satio for four days now, and I already like it so much, I just don´t feel the urge to compare it to the iPhone.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 15:48
out of the two, if i had to pick, i'd chose the satio, without hesitation. the iphone, and particularly the 3gs, is way too expensive for what it is. ive just left the orange shop in bolton and the normal 3g iphone is 35.00 per month...thats just mental..also itunes puts me right off...but the main reason i wouldn't choose the iphone is if i'm going to lock myself into a 18 month/ two year contract, i want a phone rammed with as much tech as possible..hence, at the time, i choose the omnia hd...if samsung could offer firmware updates as often as nokia do, then i'd stick with them permanently. they certainly have the know how hardware wise, its just the software...i can't see myself ever buying an iphone.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 16:06
The undeniable thing about the iPhone though is it's been well supported by Apple. It hasn't just had a few bug fixes (as the Satio still needs), it's had a long list of new features added to it along the way, so actually during that long and expensive contract you actually get more and more out of the phone - more and more "tech" for your money, rather than one static slab of it up front.

You'll laugh at some of the "new" features Apple have added, but nevertheless since buying my 3G in October last year it's gained MMS, Bluetooth stereo, copy and paste, numerous iPod improvements, Safari improvements, turn-by-turn GPS ability, security improvements, voice memos, Youtube sign-in, better video codec support, Push notifications - the list goes on. Yes, you'll say that many of those things should have been in the phone from day one but they weren't, I bought it knowing that, and I've been rewarded along the way with a growing list of free improvements. And that's just over the last year - look at original iPhone owners from 2007 and their phones have also gained Exchange support and compatibilty with third party apps and the almighty Appstore, all for free.
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 20:36
fair points made...i dunno..i just don't 'feel' the iphone if you know what i mean.then again i didn't feel samsung until the hd came out...maybe in future. Who knows. By the way, my appologies for having a go at you a while back. I was having a particularly bad day at work...
BlackSniper
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 21:40
go for satio
and buy the ipod touch

best solution
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic