IK850i -R1FA035- Modded camdriver + Modded Display Driver
Modded Acoustic + Creative EP630 + 8GB M2
http://nnr3.deviantart.com
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-22 13:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
is it true that adobe will not support iphone with the latest flash for mobile?

inversely, Adobe can support iPhone with Flash like Sun can support with Java but problem is inside Apple. Apple don't want to support these technologies in iPhone/iTouch
tangey
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-07-22 14:11
Ok the Satio I can't talk about as I havn't seen one.

But my previous phones, in order have been SE990, N95 and samsung i8510. Each one of them was the flagship phone from the respective company at the time.

The only one that got a reaction from looker-ons was the SE990, the keyboard and stylus combo was quite unusual to see at that time.

THe only one I was ever productive with was the N95. The SE990 was just too slow. The i8510 was too buggy, and 9 months after I bought it, it still didn't have an official firmware update. It really annoyed me so much that I got rid of it early.

When the 3GS iphone was launched, I determined that it solve most of the limitations of the previous iphones and so went for it. I can truely say that I have found this phone to be so much more productive than anything else I've every had. I actually want excuses to use this phone.

Some of the highlights for me are.

1) The user interface. Its just dead easy and completely intuitative. The phone doesn't come with a manual, which I thought was odd at the time, but I see why now...you don't need one. It is not a geek phone. I'm as good a geek as the next guy, but 99% of people will get 99% of the functionality out of this phone.

2) Getting online. The N95 and i8510 constantly asked "do you want to connect to", or "select which profile" every time you wanted to access some online content. I assume this is an S60 thing. With the iphone, if you are at a previously known wifi spot it uses it totally transparently. If not it'll ask you. If you aren't in a wifi area, it just uses the 3G or 2G transparently.

3) Picking up email. Its two clicks..and with "going online" a transparent thing, its just so easy. If the email is in html format, then its all there, embedded on the screen, and you can zoom in on fine details and small print using multi-touch.

4)Web browser. Undoubtedly the best thing about the browser is the selective zooming and panning via multi-touch. Makes a small screen quite usable.

5) Apps. I'm amazed how easy apple has made actually installing the apps. Once you've found what you want on the app store, two clicks and thats it, an icon immediately appears on the iphone with a tiny progress bar imposed on it. When its downloaded the progress bar goes away, no separately defined "downloading" and "installing" phases (who actually wants to know that). Oh and whilst its doing that you can go on with whatever else you want to do, and when its done its there.

6)Camera. Much has been said about this. The 3GS answers some of the limitations. Ok the 3MP cam isn't great, I miss my 8M i8510 for the piccys. But selecting the focus point by pressing on the screen is so simple, switching between camera and video is literally an onscreen "switch" (again totally intuitative). I find the camera "acceptable" for casual pics. Taking pictures is not a be all and end all for me. Front camera....hmmm who actually uses a front camera ( although someone on here told me its useful for deaf people signing or lip reading)....but really are video calls essential for you. Basically its the elmination of a piece of kit that most don't use. Whereas.....

7) The compass I find fantastic. Was in a foreign city just yesterday, had the map open showing my hotel. Knew the bus stop was quite close to the hotel. Hit the compass and immediately knew which way to walk.

I've never owned an apple piece of kit previously, I would not call myself a "fan". I've been into computers at a time when windows were made of glass and nothing to do with PCs. I just find this phone so easy to use and so productive, and I think many "casual" non-tech people will find it a similar experience. I find myself recommending this phone to people, I never would recommend a phone previously as you really need to be into technology to use the prevously phones I had, to their full potential.
brys182
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-22 21:37
@Rider
what seems to be the issue why iphone doesn't want to be supported with those kind of technology?
sorry for the stupid question hehe,
Don't be so quick to judge me, you only see what I choose to show you.
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-23 09:33
brys182
Apple just don't want to allow other 3rd party software solutions to run on iPhone - it's top of the ice mountain. Java and Flash can be used to run applications/games which don't have to be downloaded from AppStore and Apple can't accept lack of control over software content and distribution channel. second thing is that Apple knows iPhone SDK is the best thing (native) for applications/games developers, hard to disagree of course but... try iPhone programming on Windows PC and try it for Java and Flash development obviously Apple don't want to support "no-need-to-use-iMac-and-Mac OS X-for-development" solutions

however sooner or later you will find Flash (full or Lite) in iPhone. I'm not sure about Java but it's sad that Apple don't want to see potential of iPhone with Java
[ This Message was edited by: Raiderski on 2009-07-23 08:33 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-23 10:52
We may eventually see a plugin for iPhone's Safari that allows viewing of flash video, but I suspect that's all. It's true that Apple want to control the application market for the iPhone and so far that's worked out pretty well for everyone, I can't see Adobe being allowed to change that.

Java is a no-no, but so what? Who needs it?
brys182
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-23 11:44
@raiderski

thanks for that sourceful info....

"Apple don't want to see potential of iPhone with Java" ???????
Don't be so quick to judge me, you only see what I choose to show you.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-23 13:58
Not sure what the "potential of Java" would bring to the iPhone at all. Native apps are far more powerful and make best use of the hardware available, and there are more than 50,000 of them in the appstore - what can a JAR file add to that?

People talk about how terrible it is that Apple control software on the iPhone, but in reality that's been key to the success of the platform. The Appstore works because (jailbreaking aside) it's the only way to punt software for the iPhone and the only way to buy it - that means there are now approx 45m customers scouring that one, single catalogue, and one good app priced as little as 59p can make a developer literally millions of dollars in a relatively short space of time. So good for developers, good for customers who generally enjoy much lower prices than on competing platforms, and good for Apple who's device continues to ride on a wave of massive developer support. Why on earth would you do anything to confuse that model by allowing crappy Java apps into the mix?
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-07-23 13:03 ]
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2009-07-23 14:40
Because there is a lot of java content on the internet. A browser without Java and Flash support is a weak one.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-23 14:53
Seriously, name me a few java based sites that I'm missing out on with the iPhone? How is lack of Java holding back the iPhone's "potential"?

Flash is a different matter, but I can see the argument from both sides. As the owner of a couple of ageing PCs, I get annoyed at sites that depend too heavily on Flash anyway. Of course it's handy for video, but even then better and more efficient solutions exist. Maybe it's not too late for the rise in low power browsing on iPhones and netbooks to prompt web developers to look into some of those instead.
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-24 14:45
well, I meant potential of J2ME simplicity for developers and for end-users. no need to use AppStore to install app/game in fully legal way without jailbreaking and lower costs and less time for development/porting, especially for freelancers which want to skip from J2ME to iPhone
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-24 15:05
You're talking about "simplicity" for developers and end users by bypassing the Appstore, but in reality you can't get simpler than the Appstore - one place for developers to promote and sell their apps, one place for every single end user to find and buy those apps (pre-installed on every phone or iPod) - it's basically utopia for everyone concerned. Literally the only advantage of opening it up to non-appstore Java apps would be to lazy developers - people who can't be bothered to code for the hardware at hand and just want to port over the same generic dumbed-down app they sell for inflated prices on every other platform - and frankly, with 50,000 dedicated iphone apps already available, who needs them?
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-07-24 14:11 ]
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-24 16:35
idea of AppStore is great but imagine iThing without AppStore. without jailbreaking you have no other source of content, so in my opinion iThing is an addition to AppStore not vice versa. how many years J2ME/Symbian apps were sold without any central store? many years and funny thing is that I never complained about profits from "generic dumbed-down app". second thing, move team of 4 programmers from J2ME to iPhone development - you can't use normal PC anymore, you can't use Windows/Linux, you can't use NetBeans/Eclipse/other because you have to use special PC or iMac, Mac OS X and Xcode

who needs them?

fan of world in black and white only? these people which are not hi-tech junkies. you don't see any reason but I see one very good reason - moneys! you'll always find people interested to buy "generic dumbed-down app". as far as you can gain profits it's worth to create "generic dumbed-down app". who needs Wii if you can play in top-notch games on PS3/X360? why still many people do like worse solutions? rhetorical question

and at last, I'm not that guy who's saying that iThing and Apple sucks, actually I do like them but it's quite obvious that Apple don't want J2ME inside iThing not because J2ME is weak but because they don't want to support any competition for everything which have Apple logo and which must bring profits, well done
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-24 16:41
Anyone who has seen Flash running on the Hero can see why its a bit pointless putting it on the iPhone (even though the 3GS is more powerful, not enough to make it running like on a desktop PC).

As for Java. FAIL. What possible market for it would there be with the App store? Maybe a market for some cheap and nasty apps that no one really wants.
Posted from an iPhone
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-07-24 17:39

On 2009-07-24 16:35:56, Raiderski wrote:
idea of AppStore is great but imagine iThing without AppStore.

Why? The Appstore exists, it's a year old, it's served 1.5 billion downloads and hosts more than 50,000 apps, in other words it's a massive success - so why pretend it's not there?

without jailbreaking you have no other source of content, so in my opinion iThing is an addition to AppStore not vice versa. how many years J2ME/Symbian apps were sold without any central store? many years and funny thing is that I never complained about profits from "generic dumbed-down app".

Why is everyone, from Symbian to Microsoft to Android, now rushing to open or build up a central app store? Because in one year, Apple have sold more apps and got far more of their users downloading and extending their devices than the competition has in the last ten years. That's why. The application market for the iPhone dwarfs it all.

second thing, move team of 4 programmers from J2ME to iPhone development - you can't use normal PC anymore, you can't use Windows/Linux, you can't use NetBeans/Eclipse/other because you have to use special PC or iMac, Mac OS X and Xcode

And? It's a commercial decision for any existing developer - yes you need to invest a little time, money and effort in making the switch, on the other hand you'll be able to make better applications, which are easier to code, and potentially much easier to sell. You pays your money and you takes your choice - and it's a choice that's worked out very well for many.

fan of world in black and white only? these people which are not hi-tech junkies. you don't see any reason but I see one very good reason - moneys! you'll always find people interested to buy "generic dumbed-down app". as far as you can gain profits it's worth to create "generic dumbed-down app". who needs Wii if you can play in top-notch games on PS3/X360? why still many people do like worse solutions? rhetorical question

But effectively your argument is "why can't I play Wii games on a PS3/X360?" which is entirely different. The iPhone is a smartphone with its own open OS and programming environment which any developer can code for - it's an elegant and successful solution that's proven to work well for both developers and consumers. Why confuse the issue just to allow some less good software into the mix?

and at last, I'm not that guy who's saying that iThing and Apple sucks, actually I do like them but it's quite obvious that Apple don't want J2ME inside iThing not because J2ME is weak but because they don't want to support any competition for everything which have Apple logo and which must bring profits, well done

That's your theory and that's fine. Personally I think it's "quite obvious" Apple don't want J2ME bypassing the Appstore because anything that weakens the Appstore framework is actually bad for consumers and developers, and of course that's bad for Apple in the long run too. Add the fact that anything J2ME can do, a native iPhone OS app can do better (and probably cheaper) and the whole argument becomes a null point.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic