Author Satio Vs iphone
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 17:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-06-02 16:03:00, Bonovox wrote:
My loyalty is with SE

what's this thing called "loyalty", and is there a purpose to it? if not, is it merely an emotional loyalty. if it is an emotional loyalty, then that loyalty is an irrational one.
there shouldn't be any loyalty to a company. people should buy what is best for them.
[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2009-06-02 16:13 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 17:27
Guess i dont mean it like that its just more like something i have stuck with mostly over the years which is SE. Inbetween i have had other manufacturers but always came back to SE. Why cos of more than anything the interface battery life better than the competition and general SE quality. Though i will admit they have gone off the boil the past few years. I still love SE but sometimes i get tempted to go elsewhere until things improve. Thats kind of loyalty
Phone?? What phone??
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 17:45

so it's a habit?
[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2009-06-02 16:45 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 18:44

My loyalty is with SE but i am also in admiration with what Samsung and LG are doing and achieving right now and the future for them looks rosy. Even Samsung beat Nokia with a S60 8 mega pixel smartphone. But no i care nothing for Apps but it does not mean i dont want a Smartphone. I have had many smartphones over the years but never bothered with Apps. I just dont see the point and that bloody iphone advert THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT GRRRR........ITS SO ANNOYING. Actually i just hate the iphone. I have owned smartphones from Nokia Sony Ericsson and Siemens over the years. Yes Siemens some years ago lol. This might sound like a stupid question but phones such as the LG Arena are they classed as Smartphones? I would certainly choose the Arena over Apple anyday i just dont like Apple full stop and hate itunes. The only apps i ever download are Opera Mini and Yahoo Go for email. Dont need anything else.

Everybody's definition of a "smartphone" is different - I have heard some people call the LG Arena a smartphone, and it does have an impressive list of features including many of those that most smartphone users would expect, but for me it fails on the core point that it's OS isn't open to third party software, java aside. It does what LG have programmed it to do and that's all it will ever do - and that's my definition of a feature phone (or "dumbphone" to use the less kind term).

That doesn't mean to say the Arena isn't for you, though. You want a smartphone but don't use apps - so in other words, you want typical smartphone features but aren't interested in it doing anything more than it says on the box you bought it in. Well, arguably, that's the LG Arena, or the Samsung Pixon, or pretty much any other premium phone that has those features, whether it claims itself to be a smartphone or not. If you don't use apps and don't need a smartphone OS like S60, what's the advantage of the Satio over the Samsung Pixon12? Not a lot.

An Arena or a Pixon wouldn't suit me, because since I got my first smartphone in 2002 I've gotten used to accessing third party software to add features to my phones. I used to use my old P800 to edit files on my websites occasionally using FTP - I still do that sometimes on my iPhone today - and there simply isn't a single feature phone ever produced that has that kind of functionality built in. Why? Because it's a minority interest of course, nobody would ever buy an LG Arena because it had a built in FTP client, but many people choose smartphones because they carry the option of an FTP client, or a Tube map, or an ebook reader, or a Twitter app, or a thousand other things that no manufacturer like LG, SE, or even Apple would have thought to fit as standard in a million years.

Like it or not, Apple have created the best platform for mobile apps that there's ever been, and that for me makes the iPhone the most powerful smartphone on the market, by far. That slogan - "there's an app for that" - may annoy you, but it's nevertheless true - it's astonishing what you can find in the Appstore now, and add to your phone just as easily. I've been a massive fan of SE smartphones in the past, I championed Symbian long ago, but Apple have just come in and nailed it with one shot, and I don't think SE or Nokia realise even now just how deadly their aim has been.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-06-02 18:06 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 19:51
Yes i see your point. But. Despite Apple's success i still dont see them taking over every other manufacturer with one phone. And despite massive sales they have not. The iphone will never be as big as it COULD be cos its not available for mass market and its just too expensive.
Phone?? What phone??
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-03 01:17

On 2009-06-02 19:51:00, Bonovox wrote:
...Despite Apple's success i still dont see them taking over every other manufacturer with one phone. And despite massive sales they have not...

I've read an interesting story about motor-racing back in the 30's. A certain German dictator wanted to invest heavily in Mercedes to crush the other teams and demonstrate superior German engineering, until it was pointed out by Dr Ferdinand Porsche, that once the other teams were wiped out, motor-racing with just one team remaining would no longer be a sport, hence a second team - Auto Union - should be funded.

It's not the iPhones job to wipe out all other phones and make everyone use just one type of phone. iPhone sales may only be 8% of the market but they are driving Apple Inc and AT&T to profit during a time when other companies are struggling. Mission accomplished I would say. Once firmware 3.0 is out, the challenge will be to bring something new and fresh to the iPhone or else consumers will get bored and the platform will start to go stale. WWDC 2010 will be a rippa!
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-03 01:58
I also think it should in my opinion come to other networks in the UK eventually. Reason I say that is its open to more people who dont want to move network or who dont simply like O2.
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-06-03 12:22
So far the iPhone's been a "premium" device just like the Satio, so no it's not going to outsell the average basic handset that sells by the bucketload on PAYG, but obviously it's not meant to. It may well outsell the Satio though. The problem for companies like SE is that the growth area for mobiles right now isn't in the low-end, it's in the smartphone sector, and that's where the iPhone is running away with itself.

As for the future, well we'll know a lot more after Apple's next announcement, which may well be this coming Monday 8th June at their developer's conference. There are constant rumours (and some fairly credible pictures) of more than one new iPhone coming, perhaps including a cheaper model to compete lower down the scale...
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-03 13:35
Also, id like to add that i couldn't go back to SE's poor build quality
Posted from an iPhone
jact
J200
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 07:22
yeap nokia has better quality, i think...
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-07-16 04:39
When it comes to quality I think P1i is a better phone than iPhone and Satio will be as well.

I don't like Apple's products either but somehow it seems to keep surrounding you. I see more and more people using iPhone. When you buy a new car, new car radio, new home stereo they all started to come with iPhone compatibility. I really hate that but this is a great sign of iPhone's success. I can't deny that but Apple's way of dealing with the device is really killing me.

On 2009-06-02 11:18:29, MWEB wrote:
Chalk and cheese really, HW freaks would love the Satio (and everything else for that matter), iphone users concentrate more on what they can do with a phone, rather than on what the phone can do

This is why I love SE. You can do everything in a sense of clever way. iPhone's lack of a proper rear camera, flash and lack of a front camera can alone enough to frustrate me. You should be able to shot great pictures with a smartphone. And that iTune stuff is definitely like a joke to all iPhone users. I can't live that much software dependent =)

Anyway it seems like I saw on my dream, wake up and write this
I'm going back to sleep now but I'm going to buy Satio not iPhone.
It should come out ASAP
Forever !!!
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2009-07-16 13:25

On 2009-06-02 17:07:03, Brightspark wrote:

My loyalty is with SE

what's this thing called "loyalty", and is there a purpose to it? if not, is it merely an emotional loyalty. if it is an emotional loyalty, then that loyalty is an irrational one.
there shouldn't be any loyalty to a company. people should buy what is best for them.
[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2009-06-02 16:13 ]

+1
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-07-16 14:28
From thefreedictionary.com: "A feeling or attitude of devoted attachment and affection"

There are two broad kinds of loyalty. Un-conditional loyalty, such as a dog has for it's master or a parent for their child. Then there is conditional loyalty, such as one might have for a phone manufacturer. Conditional loyalty only exists whilst the object of affection continues to fullfill the needs of those who profess loyalty.

Conditional loyalty is the kind of loyalty I have to SE. It is conditional on SE maintaining the style of UI, ergonomics and features that I desire in a phone. So far they have not lost my loyalty. I have a "feeling of devoted attachment" to SE. However this feeling will cease if their phone's cease to appeal to me. This sounds fickle, but it is the cornerstone of consumerism. We stick with the products we like until they no longer meet our expectations.

SE also have conditional loyalty to their customers. The loyalty is conditional upon their customer's willingness to spend money! SE won't continue giving me nice phones if I don't pay for them.

se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-07-16 14:32
If you want high specs and a damn good build quality direct yourself to the Satio but if you want low specs and are a money waster on apps go for the i-phone.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2009-07-16 14:48
Its all about the cam for me on the satio other than that it doesn't excite me much and since i am an iphone user and i know how good apps are which is of course is the iphones biggest selling point other than i've seen some very interesting points raised in this thread but its clear for me which is the leader
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic