Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > So what is the REAL O2 mobile internet 'Unlimited' limit?

Author So what is the REAL O2 mobile internet 'Unlimited' limit?
dupfold
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 16:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-04-07 15:59:05, Daedalus85 wrote:
But, just to finally clarify it once again, it's not 250MB

Thanks Daedalus85, I hadn't forgot but I can only go on what O2 themselves have told me (and others) a number of times now.

Why are you so adamant 250MB is incorrect (inside info)? I understand the advised 250MB limit could be a scare tactic to ensure users toe the line, however, as this thread proves, people who have reach that limit have received warnings or had their net cut off.

After this month of normal usage to see just how much data I get through I will put that limit to the test for a definative conclusion.
[ This Message was edited by: dupfold on 2009-04-07 15:13 ]
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 16:57
Why dont u just use it willy nilly. By all accounts they would never charge u, just warn u. By the way how did u stream music from last.fm with your n82?

This message was posted from a PC Compatible
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-07 17:39
Because no they can't charge you, but they can cut you off for using it 'willy nilly' as you put it.

I'm adament because I've researched it with my manager, who even called someone far higher up to explain it, and so long as your using your handset to browse, it's unlimited.

The only condition being is that if you're using it so much it affects everyone else in your area (using the same mast) then they'll ask you to cut back a bit, for the simple reason that everyone else is paying to use it too, so why should they have to all suffer because one person is spoiling it for the rest?

But yes, as you've proved it's near impossible to use that much data anyway
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
dupfold
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 19:23

On 2009-04-07 17:39:26, Daedalus85 wrote:
I'm adament because I've researched it with my manager, who even called someone far higher up to explain it, and so long as your using your handset to browse, it's unlimited.

The only condition being is that if you're using it so much it affects everyone else in your area (using the same mast) then they'll ask you to cut back a bit, for the simple reason that everyone else is paying to use it too, so why should they have to all suffer because one person is spoiling it for the rest?

But yes, as you've proved it's near impossible to use that much data anyway

If used for just internet browsing, you would be hard pushed to use 250MB. Based solely on my own usage I would need to browser 2 hours per day in order to reach the limit. The majority of users are not going to browser for 2h EVERYDAY in the month and therefore never reach the limit so they would never know any different and could assume the service is unlimited. I assume this is the thinking behind O2 claiming 'unlimited' and why your manager has been advised so.

In the policy it states that no stream is allowed. Now, if a person is streaming the 250MB limit would be reached in no time and therefore a clear indicated to O2 that you are not playing by their rules. Still, unlimited should be just that, unlimited, but as I said previously I'll put this to the test next month.

If what you saying about the mask thing is right, then I guess that explains why some people MAY be able to go over that limit without ever receiving a warning. However, seven pages into this threat and we've had a number of people confirm they were cut/received warning approaching the 250 mark and not one (that I can recall at least, I could be wrong) saying they have exceeded the limit (recently).

On 2009-04-07 16:57:43, Greggy wrote:
Why dont u just use it willy nilly. By all accounts they would never charge u, just warn u. By the way how did u stream music from last.fm with your n82?

Via a S60 program called Mobbler.....check it out....

http://code.google.com/p/mobbler/
[ This Message was edited by: dupfold on 2009-04-07 18:25 ]
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-04-08 00:03
Cheers mate il have a look. I usualy download my music. If u want sum sites il inbox u them

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi