Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > So what is the REAL O2 mobile internet 'Unlimited' limit?

Author So what is the REAL O2 mobile internet 'Unlimited' limit?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 11:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well for them:
"in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers"

..is their get out clause so it looks like they can cut you off whenever they feel like.

How is any unsuspecting O2 user supposed to know when they might impact other users? There is no distinction between PAYG and monthly in that statement and there is no data limit either. All very vague.

Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 13:29
Hi dupfold,

glad to hear you found my comments useful but it just occured to me, you wouldn't be able to use operamini to stream any uk/bbc/itv based website media because opera's servers are outside the uk when browsing bbc/iplayer etc the contect isn't available on your phone as the website believes you to be trying to access the content from outside the uk as well.
So this instance you might be back to square one again!
Boysie
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 16:32
Im with Daedalus on this one. Im on O2 £20 simplicity and regulary go over 250mb per month without ever having a warning message. Even using phone as modem on pc!!
golemsmate
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 19:59

On 2009-04-01 14:14:16, Daedalus85 wrote:
I doubt many people would download a 5MB MP3 EVERY SINGLE DAY on their phone.

I'm going to leave you all to your ignorance in this thread, I've said my piece several times, and clearly it's not sinking in, have fun.

this guy is the rudest person in this forum about 20 people have asked o2 and other companies and all got the same answer
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 20:14
Maybe they do allow u to use 2gb. But the email they send is there way of scaring u into not using much? Lol

This message was posted from a PC Compatible
Boysie
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 20:44
...exactly. They obviously dont want to advertise the fact.

@golomsmate,
I have a lot of respect for Daedalus, maybe you should too. Trust me, you should trust him concerning anything to do with O2.
dupfold
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 20:46
I REALLY don't know what to do now. I do have a really good deal, however I would like to use my mobile to it fully capabilites, which of course includes using the net and I don't want to always worry about reaching limits etc for the next 18 months.

I doubt I will even use things like iplayer, however, I would make use of music streaming radio stations every now and then (maybe 2/3 times a week) and download the odd podcast. I'd like to use google map and other apps etc every so often.

Now the above is the closes I can predict to just how much I would use the net on my phone, but having never done so before, this really doesn't provide me with answers regarding the sort of data amount I would be using.

A number of you guys say it will be fine and nothing to worry about, while the other say quit now and go with another network?! I just don't want to be stuck with a tariff that is no good to me for the next 18 months, but the only way to find out is to actually try it and see how much data I get through?!?!? Catch 22! AAARRRGGGGH!

My cooling off period is fast running out too.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-02 21:13
Send a blank text to 21202.

When they text back, click on the weblink to see just how much data you've used, or at least it should do.

If I use Google Maps occasionally, do a bit of web browsing and a few YouTube videos on my E71, all in full blown desktop view (apart from Google Maps of course, mobile version), I use up no more than 25MB a month.

After having confirmed with my manager, who is the most 'by the book' person I have ever met, unlimited really is just that on contract.

When O2 brought in new range of unlimited bolt ons, they mean it. So long as your not being insane with it, which 99.999% of people won't be, you'll never have a problem. I don't know of anyone on contract with O2 who has ever had their Internet stopped.

Also, appologies to some of the people in this thread, I've been under imense person pressure the last 2 weeks, and I guess I snap easily. I'm actually looking for a new line of work now so I won't be O2's point of contact for much longer lol.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
golemsmate
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 22:19

On 2009-04-02 21:13:14, Daedalus85 wrote:

I'm actually looking for a new line of work now so I won't be O2's point of contact for much longer lol.

you wanna get my job then i work as a librarian, and im not over 25 lol its a minted job

u seem happy now sorry for disagreeeeeing
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-02 23:53
Right now, I imagine there's alot of things I'd do over where I work now. I'm 23 and I've been there since I was 16, I've simply had enough of it.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2009-04-03 11:37
@dupold,

This thread has really got me thinking about how i use data without even thinking about it. I've just realised that i do actually 'stream' a fair bit of data, as most weeks i'll stream one or two football commentries on bbc 5live via realplayer on my phone (completely forgot that was data & not radio usage lol) & i still only just about hit the 250mb mark a month.

so I still don't think you'll have a problem in going over your data 'limit'
dupfold
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-03 12:50
Thanks good to know Alpha. Your monthly usage compares quite well with my own predicted usage, so I SHOULD be ok.

Think I'll stick with what I have now and HOPEFULLY I will be ok. No doubt I will hit or come close to the limit in the first month through excitement of FINNALY having net access on my mobile but that should calm down from then on. My last tariff was so old (genie) that I couldn't even send picture messages so this will be a whole new world for me.

What settings do I use please as I have a number of them on my phone....

02 GPRS WAP
02 Mobile Web
02 Postpay Wap

....and whats the difference between them?
imazz
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-03 13:54
o2 mobile web for everything but MMS which should go through 02 Postpay Wap I think (my setting says O2 Pay Monthly)

Originally o2 mobile web was for full web access and 02 Postpay Wap was just for WAP.
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2009-04-03 14:06
Not sure mate on O2 but on Orange you select 'orange internet' in the access point list amongst all the 'orange GPRS WAP', orange java, orange mms' etc. so think you'd select 'O2 Mobile Web' on yours.

If you really want to monitor your useage to gauge how much data your using in the first few months go into Menu>Tools>Log & choose 'packet data' then clear counters. You'll now be able to see how much data you use in a session/day/week etc

also if you hold down the 0 (zero) key for a second or two the N82 will automatically launch the S60 browser.
golemsmate
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 15:44
at the moment im testing the limits... i have realised it wont stop working after 250mbs but im gonna see if i get a warning text
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi