Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > So what is the REAL O2 mobile internet 'Unlimited' limit?

Author So what is the REAL O2 mobile internet 'Unlimited' limit?
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-03-31 21:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Your choice, but I'm speaking from what I and my team have always been told, as have our superiors, so if I'm wrong then so are at least 30 other people who say the same as me...
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-03-31 22:44
dupfold your worrying for no reason at all. Gosh we have had this topic so many times on this thread. I was going to sit quiet on this on and let daedlus have a say here lol.

Neeewaaysss I would not worry if i was you. At the moment you mention that you don't even know what 250MB is, and then you talk about that you might go over it. The way I see it, is that use the internet as much as you want, and if they feel you are using it too much than the average user, all they do is contact you and let you know. Internet on the mobile is not just everything to life, you need to think about the other functions of your mobile too as well as the service you are going to be getting from o2. I mean you have a good deal when it comes to mins and sms and for that price, its good what you are getting. You also have to only deal with cust service in the UK too, no foreign contact centers like the rest of the networks. Your getting O2 to o2 unlimited, i take it thats because the majoirty of the people you are calling are on O2?

How would it be on other networks? you will be using your cross network mins for calling O2 numbers, hence using up your mins too fast than you should. You already know what the coverage is like etc? You sure you want to try out another network and find out your having problems with cust service, coverage etc?

Don't just think of a contract upgrade as just internet only, think of the other services and stuff you get from O2. like o2 treats, priority ticketing for all major music, sports, whatver great events you get at the o2 arena, and the o2 academy's etc. Neways I know I am going on abit too much here, but consider these facts etc, before making whatever decision you want to make.
dupfold
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-01 01:22
Thanks but the mobile internet IS very important to me. Never once said I don't know what 250MB is, just don't know what this allows in terms of page viewing as never had to think about how much data a net page contains before. What I do know is that if I was to use my mobile without worry of caps, I would use 250MB in no time at all! Just by streaming some music every now and then, 250MB would be eaten in no time.

If the internet browsing wasn't so important to me then I would of stay with my Genie contract sim which gave me free unlimited wap, 600 text and 50 mins of free land line calls per day. The ONLY reason I upgraded was for faster internet access so I can actually start to use the full capabilities of my N82.

250MB is a complete joke and I will soon be cancelling my contract.
[ This Message was edited by: dupfold on 2009-04-01 00:24 ]
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-01 10:22
I'll say it one last time before you very stupidly cancel your contract.

250MB NO

Unlimited YES

Can I make it any clearer?
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-04-01 11:04
Ok listen up. I rung up 3 times enquiring about the 20quid simplicity deal 600mins 1200txts and unlimitd internet. All 3 said fair usage of 250mb. The last guy put me on hold and askd his manager and he confirmed its 250mb. So there ya go

This message was posted from a PC Compatible
imazz
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-01 11:59
@Dupfold
"My deal....

400 Mins to any network
1000 Text
"Unlimted Net"
Unlimted O2 to O2 calls
Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic 8GB Red
£15 per month"

There is no way I would cancel that deal

You have wifi on both phones you mentioned (N82 and 5800) - If I had wifi on my phone it would cut my network data usage probably 80%

Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2009-04-01 13:06
@dupfold
I consider myself a fairly high data usage customer (using the excellent N82 as well). I have push email set constantly to retrieve every 5mins, I use google maps quite often for 1-2 hours at a time & I browse the full web on my phone most days. In a year of data usage so far my average monthly use is between 100 - 200mb.

My 'unlimited' fair use is set at 500mb (Orange) which is quite obviously more than enough for me.
The first few months of using data i was as sceptical as the next person as to what i was actually going use/be charged for so i was using opera mini for some time, which as we all know compresses the data you receive. The bbc/football home page loads at 50kb on opera, using the inbuilt browser the same page loads at near 700kb. Since this year i've been browsing primarily with the S60 browser & have only now started to encroach on the 250mb a month mark.

Granted i rarely stream music or video on my mobile but with the contract you have at that price per month i'd say you'd be quite stupid to change networks just cause of the '250mb/unlimited data might not be enough for me fear' unless of course you genuinely have a reception/data speed issue?
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-04-01 13:24
250mb is nothing if u download a gud quality mp3 (5mb) and an 30 to 40mins browsing (wap and web) every day thats ya allowance used up for the month

This message was posted from a PC Compatible
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-01 14:14
I doubt many people would download a 5MB MP3 EVERY SINGLE DAY on their phone.

I'm going to leave you all to your ignorance in this thread, I've said my piece several times, and clearly it's not sinking in, have fun.
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-04-01 23:18
lol @ Daedalus85.
dupfold
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 00:21
@ Daedalus85 - I appreciate your input, however, I really can't ignore the fact that O2 themselves advised me (and others on here) that the limit IS 250MB.

@ Alpha Trion - thanks, that info certainly got me thinking and never knew Opara compression was so good. Although, however good my deal is, I was perfectly happy with my old genie tarrif which was just as good. BUT, I only had wap internet access and while this was unlimited I could never actually use it on my N82 as the option was not included (data call in data bearer missing). So the whole point of me upgrading and paying MORE is solely for the added benefit of internet and then I will finally be able to proper use of my N82.

I'm happy to hear you can survive on 250MB and MAYBE, now I know Opera has such excellent compression, maybe I could too. However, can I REALLY take the change and be stuck with an 18 month contract if 250MB is not even close to being enough for me??? I don't thinks it worth the chance. At least if I cancel now, I can use a 02 PAYG sim with a web bolt on to test and see just how much data I get through. And thats only if I can be bothered with it, when knowing I can just go with Orange or 3 etc and get a large 'unlimited' limit.

My requirements are simple, not a caller, so don't need many mins, am a texter but generally don't go over 200 monthly, HOPEFULLY will be a surfer, and will more than likely use this to its fully capacity.....so the large the limit, the better.

Oh and one more thing. The t&c states, no streaming allow, and yet they gave me a Nokia 5800?!?! A multimedia phone with iplayer built-in.........and yet I'm not allow to stream and even if I was I wouldn't get far with a limit of 250MB?! lol.

The whole 'unlimited' thing is a joke and I'm starting to wish I never entered in to this in the first place (never effect me until now). Should just wait until the governing bodies etc come down on these cowboys miss selling left right and centre!
[ This Message was edited by: dupfold on 2009-04-01 23:47 ]
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 09:30
Dupfold, so what network you going to now?
number1
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 09:40
I went over 250mb and i was using operamini on a K600 most the time, if you find 250mb isn't enough on the pay-and-go sim, try a 3UK pay-and-go sim.
But i think it is unlimted for 02 contracts , probley why there network is so slow and useless is everyone has unlimted data.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-04-02 10:25
How come this isn't made plain in their Ts & Cs. Is there not a web link to this info.

How come other companies make it easy to find but not O2?
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-02 10:26
Terms and conditions say:
The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited's Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

There is no mention of fair usage poicy or limit so it must be unlimited or else they are breaking the terms of your contract that they have to abide by as well as you.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi