Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > 12 megapixel Sony Ericsson Kokura on its way?

Previous  123 ... 1112 131415  Next
Author 12 megapixel Sony Ericsson Kokura on its way?
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-19 21:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-02-19 21:04:59, goldenface wrote:
I thought this was S60 v5 but with SE's shell on it?

You are quite right. The actuall 'flavour' has a longer name, but we use the short version notation 's60v5' The s60 OS is customable to the extreme. To talk about a 'shell' on it is not quite right. Unlike WM (where the word 'shell' has a more correct meaning), the s60 can be 'twisted' to anything even by a half programmer. If you think windows is 'hacked' to dead, then think again. The s60 is hacked to dead and back and that a few times over. If Samsung or Lg or Se (not to mention the 'other' company), come out with a nice feature and the public like it, within days/weeks, you can install it on your device as long as is s60 compatible The manufacturer and the software functions a s60 cell comes out with, mean little. Just as with a laptop, if you buy it is very dumb, only after you get home and spend some time on it, it becomes usefull

Here is a intro to the different s60 versions. The samsung hd (and my guess is idou) must come next to the n97. http://twilightwap.com/forums[....]8452&forum=s60&id=992097&tt=39

[ This Message was edited by: mario2004 on 2009-02-19 20:47 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-21 01:36

On 2009-02-16 17:15:47, se_dude wrote:
N97 revealed in November and ships in june.Probably july. Sooo... Please dont bring SE down here .Look around you and...

Sorry dude but that is 1 phone from Nokia as an exception to the example that they've shipped phones in less than 30days after announcement of when & where they would first ship.

SE needed to be chastisized because all the phones shipped last year - Save :walkman: flip phone & K850i - were all just a slight upgrade from an existing previous phone or just rebranding package. And these phones had the same features just 1 missing or thinner; thats it. Lastly, there was no difference between shipment regions either.

This time around I'm really liking 's strategy - yes Idou because its the complete opposite of what Motorola is doing. Concentrating on the most powerful platforms with clear market segments.

1. Low & mid-tier regular consumer worldwide: J2ME+Flash = Capuchin
2. High Tier Business: Xperia Windows Mobile.
Looks like Xperia will remain WM only.
3. High Tier Consumer lineup: Capuchin (:Walkman: & :Cybershot:) & Entertainment lineup = Symbian-Foundation OS.
4. Android for Mid-tier Consumer.

Looks well strategized, profitable and residual should one lineup fail - I'm guessing WM6.5 (looks like junk unless a HUGE change in RIM's sales for business occurs) or Symbian-Foundation (highly doubt but everybody likes the googoo gaaagaaa glitter of Palms' WebOS or iPhone) then Android or Symbian or WM can take over.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-21 03:04

On 2009-02-17 13:28:49, se_dude wrote:
**Umm..well yea. We all know that the SF OS is backward compatible with other S60 apps. But your stupid inference that Nokia has patented many S60 formats or blah is pure shit. Legally, you cannot patent anything in an open source platform. If you do so, it defies the basic presence of S60.

OMG! S60 is NOT an open source platform! its LICENSED to Lenovo, Samsung, LG, etc! Please READ and research your information BEFORE arguing with somone that knows MORE about a particular subject you're arguing about.

btw, you'd just proved exactly what Mario stated just before this post I've quoted '... I see now, some of the members in this forum have a 'different' mentality then the Symbian forum members I usually interact with".

On 2009-02-17 13:58, Boinng wrote:
S60 hasn't won. S60 the interface that competed with UIQ is clearly on its way out, retired, since the early emphasis on S40-like menu operation has now come home to roost and left it feeling dated and irrelevant in the new, post-iPhone era.

@Boinng, you're wrong that S60 didn't win. It is THE most used, most coded for, most developed upon Symbian, and THE most ADVANCED GUI iteration of ANY Symbian based OS GUI (compared against UIQ, MOAP used by NTTDoCoMo).

The majority of the Symbian-Foundation OS is BASED mostly on S60 because it is THE code that most programmers follow and code for. Sure MOAP & UIQ is there but only specific parts of the GUI code - yes they act like specific OS' each of onto their own.

S40 is STILL crap in its 6th edition - it STILL cannot run more than on MIDP app at a time and doesn't have a quick system to J2ME Runtime switcher like SE has in their A1/A2/Capuchin platform phones. S40 has recently in the past 6mths gotten ability - released products development is always longer than released - with WLAN via OSS WebKit and Widget ability with UMA support even longer. Please experience fully an operating system or read up on it beyond a few people complaining about it before making such brash and unfounded statements of it.

S60 has the following abilities:
- WRT Runtime [HTML+CSS based Widgets with C++ support]
- WLAN supporting: WebKit, VoIP [PBX and SIP]
- Ability to enforce/restrict/allow any connection to all or selectable (latter 3rd party app which is FREE): GPRS/EDGE, 3G/3.5G, or WLAN.
- Ability via 3rd party application for HTML+CSS+Javascript website creation DIRECTLY on the device. (in tandem with this ...)
- Ability to run a FREE application - by Nokia: yet codebase is shared via Open-Source - to run a web server directly from your phone!! And anyone with a PC webbrowser or another phone with WebKit can - if you didn't set security - can send you 160-character text, file sharing, file browsing of YOUR phones memory/MicroSD card, TAKE pictures from your phones' camera ... you get the idea.

Support for the following code languages and runtimes:
C++/OpenC/CarbideC++
PyS60 - Python (FREE apps that have access to the core S60 implemented Symbian API's!
Ruby - Same as Python in its abilities and FREE
Widgets

NO UIQ phone EVER built or developed has EVER had this much ability - from what I've gathered anywhere on the web or have seen with applications. WM has a LOT of abilities but I'm unsure if it supports Ruby or Python. Now do you think S60 is as limited at you stated ??!!!! IT hasn't survived for 10+ years because it was "Eye-Candy Fashionable".

Symbian-Foundation has been setup BY Nokia and legally purchased from ALL Symbian-OS licencees of S60, MOAP, and UIQ. And the BEST features of all will be incorporated into the shared developed, freely accessible: yet still partially licensed, to all companies willing to use it. The Symbian-Foundation OS will not be ready until late 2009, and be on products shipping then or for sure by early 2010.

The last time I saw SE do some REAL innovation (revolutionary) on Symbian-OS based product was with the R386, P800, and P910 - P900 & P1 where evolutionary (P1 done well though).

Too many ppl on these boards have hated S60 & Nokia for ALL the wrong reasons - hating an OS and a company that contributes to 3rd world society's, has the best GREEN strategy in the mobile phone industry, and does a fantastic job in a fair and open marketplace. Crikey; hating an OS and a company - what a world we live in. I'd probably like that mentally better if you hated me - at least I'm a person and can do things to you directly or inhumanly (you have to be human to be inhuman). I said probably!

Now that SE is going full out with hardware beyond what is offered and not stating its S60 All the haters are loving it - not realizing the benefits that come with it MOSTLY are coming because of the drive and innovations that S60 pressured or entised Symbian OS to develop into the core system to be available on S60 that the other GUI's had an immensely hard time doing to bring to market. Not choosing an OS is anyone's preferance (not a bad word everybody), being ignorant to an OS' abilities only limits you're choices due to lack of information. As they say ignorance is bliss.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-21 03:15

On 2009-02-17 17:01:48, Boinng wrote:
To be honest the Symbian situation depresses me massively. Ten years ago, I was using EPOC devices and would defend that OS to the death. Psion had a really fantastic product on their hands. Had Psion had the capital to develop it and enter the phone market themselves, I think we could all be in a very different place right now.

Instead the baton got passed to the likes of Ericsson and Nokia, and both stuffed up royally as far as I can see. Ericsson/SE/UIQ had the right ideas (the P800 really showed everyone the way), but went on to completely mismanage everything into the ground. Nokia, as far as I can see, have never actually understood the concept of a smartphone, and simply used Symbian to do all the OS donkey work in the background on more complicated devices while still sticking with essentially the same tired old Nokia UI from the 90's - a pointless waste.

In terms of realising the potential of an OS like Symbian to deliver a really advanced user-friendly smartphone for the masses, really nobody's achieved it yet, and instead it's Apple (whose own Steve Jobs was once said to be a fan of the P800) that finally brought the smartphone concept into the mainstream. For all the bluster of the Symbian Foundation (and their little fans like Mario) it's now Nokia and Symbian that are desperately trying to catch up and avoid getting completely sidelined in an iPhone/Android/WinMo pincer movement that renders them completely redundant.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-02-17 16:53 ]

Funny thing about this is the iPhone cannot operate LIKE a true smartphone; not able to run 2 applications simultaneously - the phone or SMS/MMS reception is NOT part of a smartphone its part of the phone. Jobs specifically said its a 'Smarter Phone' while also stating its a smartphone. Their ballyhood attempt at criticising application switching showing off server side push message queues to apps - never panned out 1year after showing us - and 8mths now after its supposed to be delivered even to developers! HA!

You obviously haven't tried any of the new products based on S60 this past year have you? E71 is definately fast and is very up to date with the seperate PIM applications. By GUI being outdated 'something analysts always complain about S60', I'm guessing you're refering to Folders in teh main menu?? If so, and again I'm assuming (wrong to do but guessing), then if having individual icons is so superior - why do you think the new BB OS has the ability for users to create folders since OS 4.2?? Maybe endless scrolling to get to the app you want (maybe not frequently used) is too tiresome and annoying. Not all apps can have a shortcut letter and use the same letter for efficiency because repeated pressing eliminates efficiency, and also iPhone - watch those users swipe 5 screens to get to what they want. Hacking reveals the STACKS capability direct from OS X on the Mac which is very nice.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-21 04:13
I dint mean S60 as such. I meant the SFOS, which is an open source, free profit foundation.
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-21 07:21
@Prom1 Well said bud. You are a 'factual' chap, aren't you Now, do you have any info as to when the IDOU will be released? The time of its release will almost certainly determine, which Symbian version will have.
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-21 09:42
1. Low & mid-tier regular consumer worldwide: J2ME+Flash = Capuchin

A1/A2/Capuchin platform phones

you have HUGE misunderstanding about Capuchin here. Capuchin is not that big and important as you think. I though this was explained many times? A1 and A2 is nothing else than phone platform (hardware and software). phone platform have nothing to do with Java platform. Capuchin is working only in Java platform layer, except of fact that he uses Flash Lite implemented in the phone software platform. remove Java platform (with Capuchin) from the phone software and it will be still work fine, you only won't be able to run Java applications (entertainment/games and organizer/applications)

[ This Message was edited by: Raiderski on 2009-02-21 09:02 ]
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-21 12:06
Let's just see what Capuchin's going to evolve into (or not)
Nokia 3520 > 6600 > W800i > W890i > C702 > C905 > BB 9500 > Samsung INNOV8
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-21 21:24
@Raidersky Hmmm . . . Never knew you get Capuchin without java! Do you have any example of a cell running on Capuchin without java? On the other hand I agree with you - Capuchin is not that important. Mind you, SE products as a whole, can not be compared in importance with the 'big guns' and standards out there Yesterday I just got some financial news regarding SE and the first half of this quarter doesn't look much better then the last quarter. Se and Motorola have to do something and do it fast, if they still want to have a say in the cell marked. By the end of this quarter, I expect LG to be in 3th place overall. If they don't improve in the second quarter, SE might even end up behind Alcatel in total sales. Is mind bending how quickly a company can get from zero to hero and back to 'almost zero', these days.
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-22 00:25
Never knew you get Capuchin without java! Do you have any example of a cell running on Capuchin without java?

did I wrote that Capuchin can work without Java? did I? cell running on Capuchin? yes I saw, big green jelly bean monster had it in the pocket
Yakkaimono
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2009-02-22 01:09
Found something interesting on wikipedia.
Idou is listed under the devices which have the OMAP3430.
I think someone just speculated there, but it could be true.

Idou OMAP3

gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-22 03:34
http://mobilementalism.com/20[....]hints-at-a-psp-phone-for-2009/

I also posted on this on the C905 thread, it's an interesting look on SE's current situation and market positioning in general. Sorry if somebody else posted it before though.
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-22 14:04
Does anyone know who will be the manufacturer? Htc do not have a s60 licence ! And are fed up with SE. Samsung is a contender but my money is on Lenovo. On the other hand, I will laugh for 3days and 3nights if Nokia will get the contract It will be interesting to see if the SE fans will like it or not. The specs are tops but . . . Personaly I don't give a sh!t who the manufacturer is, as long as it runs on Symbian/S60.
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-22 15:30
Then you'll be very disappointed if the new Symbian Foundation OS is something different?
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-22 16:21
blog.symbian.com:
... the following newly announced devices are all based on S60 3rd or 5th Editions and Symbian OS - software which forms the code base of the first Symbian Foundation platform release, expected later this year:

The new Sony Ericsson device, code-named Idou, is the world’s first mobile phone with a 12.1MP camera, with Xenon flash, 16:9 aspect ration and 3.5” touch screen.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1112 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic