Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 vs HTC Touch Pro (Raphael)

Author Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 vs HTC Touch Pro (Raphael)
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-19 11:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-08-19 08:18:22, aksd wrote:
WHy dont you mail SE about that? Most probably the connecting tracks are missing on the X1. You dont see the DIamond having TV out as well do you?

beat me to it
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-19 14:11
Better yet, I'll also ask HTC why it's not on the Diamond.

The reason I'm asking is about TV-out on the X1 is because, as of now, the X1 reportedly is going to have an accelerometer though it doesn't state so in the white paper. I was wondering if the same situation was true of the TV out. Being that it could only be a licensing issue or a trace missing, somewhere during development, SE could have decided to change their mind about not including this feature and easily implemented the change without a major redesign (which would be required if chips or components had to be added to achieve TV out). Remember, SE also went from 128MB to 256MB of RAM (which was not due to software problems because the 128MB models are running smooth too).

I'm basically speculating on the likelyhood of their being a revision 4 white paper with the TV-out and accelerometer listed as features.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-19 13:24 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-19 14:57
Right I also wonder if they'll implement USB host at the last minute? The feature is available on the MSM7200 series of processor, also hopefully a 5Mpx camera, thats supported as well by the processor. You can keep imagining but it just might not happen .

The increase in RAM was a necessity, if it could have been avoided it would have. TV-Out is by no means a necessity. Theres a chance SE may have requested TV-Out and HTC may have declined implementing it as then the X1 would outgun the Pro in most aspects and would cannibalize on Pro sales. The Tv-Out feature is a distinguishing feature on the Pro, like the WVGA 3.0in screen is on the X1. Pro is targeting more of the Buisness audience while X1 more of the multimedia audience, this is quite obvious with the fact that the X1 uses the superior MSM7200A processor when compared to the Pro with the MSM7201A processor. Two similar products, but each targeting a slightly different audience.

WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-19 19:53
Let's not forget the DLNA feature that X1 is supposed to support (stated on p6 of the Rev1 whitepaper but not in subsequent versions). This effectively allows video and pic sharing to other DLNA certified devices, such as TV's. HTC apparently is not involved in DLNA but Nokia, Samsung, LG, and Sony are (among a huge list of manufacturers).

While this doesn't seem as simplistic as a TVout, it does provide hope that we'll be able to experience content from the X1 on big TV screens and other devices. I hope SE didn't give up implementing DLNA on the X1. It is on the c905.

I don't know whether a virtual TVout could be supported (for showing Powerpoint or YouTube, for example) by this technology.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 01:18
I'm sure they will develop dnla receivers that convert to video composite for pluggin into a tv
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 02:00
Problem solved...

...hopefully.

Here is a video of DLNA between a Nokia N95 and PS3.
pinguino1
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 04:40

On 2008-08-20 02:00:05, WhyBe wrote:
Problem solved...

...hopefully.

Here is a video of DLNA between a Nokia N95 and PS3.

WhyBe,
you reallly have faith. I'll follow you. I'm just Xperia Hopeful.
Until now I really didn't think TV-out was important for me. But after your last post. now I'm also crossing my fingers.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 05:10
On 2008-08-20 04:40:32, pinguino2 wrote:
WhyBe,
you reallly have faith. I'll follow you. I'm just Xperia Hopeful.
Until now I really didn't think TV-out was important for me. But after your last post. now I'm also crossing my fingers.

Stick close, cause the haters are coming around the corner any minute now
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 06:07

Yes, because apparently we're stupid to want to own an SE that doesn't have "everything", even though it's okay to own a Nokia that has "everything" except a touchscreen!

Hmmm, touchscreen...tv out...I think I would use the touchscreen about a thousand times more often than the tv-out
Astral1
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 08:09
I'm not a hater, i just want one of these damn phones like now!

I want Xperia, but if touch pro beats it by more than a month, then touch pro it will be.

I strongly believe Xperia will be the better phone, though.
If we evolved from apes, why are there still apes ?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 13:02

On 2008-08-19 19:53:48, WhyBe wrote:
Let's not forget the DLNA feature that X1 is supposed to support (stated on p6 of the Rev1 whitepaper but not in subsequent versions).

So you're now pinning your hopes on a feature that was pointedly removed from the X1's spec at an early stage? Righto..

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-08-20 12:02 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 15:14
I'm basically trying to make sense of why there would be no method of displaying X1 content on a larger screen. Seems like a common feature nowadays. On a high-end device like Xperia, it only seems logical to include it--whether it be DLNA or TVout. The same is true for the accelerometer.

Until we get the production X1 and final revision of the whitepaper, we'll just have to guess. Whether it includes it or not, doesn't really matter to me, but, I would be nice knowing that the capability is there should I want to utilize it.

Perhaps DLNA would be in a future ROM update if not in the initial version.
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 15:54
You can use SE's bluetooth presenter with it I guess. Or do a search for REDFly, or you can do a presentation on your comp screen using MyMobiler(Why I dont know though), with DLNA etc.. Wheather it has DLNA or not is quite useless to most though, TV-Out is a far better option imo. Now that the Pro and Diamond have been found to have Multi Touch, things look really cool for the Diamond/Pro now.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-20 15:57

On 2008-08-20 15:54:15, aksd wrote:
Now that the Pro and Diamond have been found to have Multi Touch, things look really cool for the Diamond/Pro now.

Didn't some guy write some WM software that enabled this. I remember reading something about it awhile ago. It was supposed to work but be really processor intensive. EDIT: Aah, here goes the version for single touch screens on all WM devices. It's called iSwish/iZoom.

The HTC version:
It's in this video, but it's not multi-touch on the screen, just the bottom half of the front.

Either way is really cheesy compared to iPhone. I wouldn't go bragging about this just yet to an iPhone fanboy.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-08-20 15:33 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-20 16:37
Its better than nothing . Multi Touch is hardware related not software
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi