Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > G900 or N82?

Author G900 or N82?
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2008-08-11 22:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
id hardly call the N82 big,well apart from on features
rambo47
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-11 23:25
While the SE G900 is a beautiful mobile and smaller than the N82, the Nokia is by no means a "brick".

Some facts to consider:
N82: GSM Quad-band
G900: GSM Tri-band.

N82: Built-in GPS
G900: none

N82: EDGE - Yes
G900: EDGE - No

N82: HSCSD - Yes
G900: HSCSD - No

The N82 has significantly faster GPRS speed as well. No big deal if you're always on European 3G, but if you're not then the N82 is going to outperform. As for SE's lack of Quad-band, perhaps they're only concerned with Europe, but if you travel to the U.S. or Canada you performance on the G900 is going to be very mediocre.
Blackberry Bold
Blackberry 8220
Blackberry 7105t
awakenshadow
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-08-12 13:29
I haven't seen the black version of N82 (not apart from pics), so cant really say how different its from the silver one.

What I really want to know is whether there is a big gap in the differences between the phones in terms of camera quality and general usage, or are the differences only visible to a heavy user (excluding looks).
eltoffer
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 03:18
Blindly the n82 its camera is the best till now, the symbian OS is better on nokia it is faster
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 04:02
I would advise the G900......but I've got one. The N82 has more features like GPS and Xenon flash but it costs more and IS a bigger and heavier phone, you also have to remember the N82 has very stupid keys, read the reviews on it and every one mentions them, same stupid style as some SE phones, you either love it or hate it. The G900's keypad is great with lovely big keys that are easy to press. The D pad also makes UIQ very easy to use.
But it depends what you prioritise, stereo speakers, GPS, camera get the N82.
A useable keypad, slim nice style, great media player, better battery life, touch screen, torch function get the G900. The new touch focus and interface does make the G900's camera great to use.
The N82 is basically the N95 in a candybar.
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 06:42

On 2008-08-12 13:29:06, awakenshadow wrote:
I haven't seen the black version of N82 (not apart from pics), so cant really say how different its from the silver one.

What I really want to know is whether there is a big gap in the differences between the phones in terms of camera quality and general usage, or are the differences only visible to a heavy user (excluding looks).

As I have said few pages back, you don't need a N82... For you G900 is enough... The only drawbacks I see is the lack of EDGE and HSDPA... As you are not a heavy user, a compact yet almost eqaully featured phone is a much better option...
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 08:07

On 2008-08-13 04:02:50, apolloa wrote:

The N82 is basically the N95 in a candybar.

And this tells you of it's pedigree and how good it is! I'd go N82 over the G900 as it's just the same old platform of the old and buggy P990.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 11:54
@Dextrr
Wrong, the UIQ looks nothing like the P990, the camera interface, media app, home screen are all different. It's more stable then the P1i let alone the P990 and the G900 has a different CPU, not changed a lot but enough to help it. And lets not forget that as the N82 is the same basic old N95 platform, as you put it, the N82 is a brick yet it only has a 2.4" screen the same as the G900.
To the OP, I too was considering the N82, then I saw one and thought no way, it's big and the keypad is just stupid. Glad I went with the G900.
Yakkaimono
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 12:30
I asked myself the same question but then I went for the G900 because of the tiny keypad of the N82 and besides that a touchscreen is really handy and the interface of the G900 looks great too.
Imo the only pros that the N82 has is the camera and HSDPA. Since I don't use the camera that much and since the use of HSDPA or any kind of mobile Internet is quite expensive (for a 16 year old student) here in Germany, I could live very well without them.

Ahhh yes almost forgot the GPS from the N82 but why would a 16 year old need GPS?
But if the said features of the N82 are needed more than the touchscreen of the G900 or the slimness of it then go for the N82.
One thing I like about my G900 is that It's uncommon (never saw anyone besides me carrying it) and I like to have something which is uncommon. (might be a little bit weird but I'm just like that )

[ This Message was edited by: Yakkaimono on 2008-08-13 11:43 ]
SEnsationSYD
K610 white
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 13:03
Every Nokia I've had, has broken within 24 months (the usual plan contract length here in Australia). Either the screen stops working, or the backlight fades away, or the buttons stick, or it stops reading the SIM card, or something or other. Let's face it - being such a massive mobile phone company - they don't give a hoot about quality and workmanship. It's all about pumping out the handsets.

My partner bought a 6500 Classic and it wouldn't even charge. That's right - does not charge. When I took it back to the shop for him, there was another woman there with the same problem. The store manager said it was a faulty batch. That's crap QC by ANYONE's standards.

Nokia is just another big company that no longer produce quality items. Their specs and technology may be eye catching but at the end of the day - wouldn't you rather a phone with all the features you NEED and most that you WANT, that will last the distance? A pretty butterfly is no good when it's dead in your hands.

Go Ericsson all the way. Reliability, workmanship, style, and technology. Can you ask for anything more?
Remember when SEs had a one lined pixelated screen with a green backlight? My, how far has technology come!
Guto_ViP
T200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-13 15:16

On 2008-08-13 13:03:51, SEnsationSYD wrote:
Every Nokia I've had, has broken within 24 months (the usual plan contract length here in Australia). Either the screen stops working, or the backlight fades away, or the buttons stick, or it stops reading the SIM card, or something or other. Let's face it - being such a massive mobile phone company - they don't give a hoot about quality and workmanship. It's all about pumping out the handsets.

My partner bought a 6500 Classic and it wouldn't even charge. That's right - does not charge. When I took it back to the shop for him, there was another woman there with the same problem. The store manager said it was a faulty batch. That's crap QC by ANYONE's standards.

Nokia is just another big company that no longer produce quality items. Their specs and technology may be eye catching but at the end of the day - wouldn't you rather a phone with all the features you NEED and most that you WANT, that will last the distance? A pretty butterfly is no good when it's dead in your hands.

Go Ericsson all the way. Reliability, workmanship, style, and technology. Can you ask for anything more?

24 months??? Is much time to use one phone... I change my phones with one year or less
Love or hate me...

Nokia 5120 -> Nokia 6120 -> SE T200 -> Motorola V800 -> SE W800 (stay with my wife) - > SE K800 (stay with my mom) -> Nokia N82 Silver -> Nokia N82 Black Edition - Firmware v30.0.019 -> What is the next??.
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 15:47
@SEnsationSYD how many nokia phone ever you have own?
adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-08-13 16:11
N82's keypad works fine for me.
Black version is really hard to keep fresh. It’s get easily scratch. You should also consider silver version if you want to get N82 although it’s not looking good but may be doesn’t get scratch easily. I use my phone very carefully even from last week for test purpose using apple iPod sock but everyday I’m finding new scratch all over the phone. Back sight is also get easily scratch even more because of its shiny surface.
Anybody who has the silver version can confirm that silver one more or less scratch magnet?
therock66
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-14 19:51
I had the same tough decision to make and being a die hard SE Guy, I purchased a G900 over a N82. I told myself after the K850i, I would never do Sony again. Well I still went and bought the G900 and am thinking once again - I will not do Sony again!

This phone is soo slow. I even added Tweak Peaks, which helped, but the phone is still slow in many areas. For example, I write over a thousand texts a month. With this phone, I click on "New SMS" and it gives me a busy notification for 4-5 seconds before it opens up a new text message. That is ridiculous! I am trying to sell or trade my phone now for a N82, which I hope goes a lot faster, especially for texts. The camera is pretty Shi**y and only takes descent pictues durign the day.

On the plus side, it is a very sexy phone and the touch screen is great to use.
driftmania
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2008-08-14 22:00

On 2008-08-13 12:30:49, Yakkaimono wrote:
I asked myself the same question but then I went for the G900 because of the tiny keypad of the N82 and besides that a touchscreen is really handy and the interface of the G900 looks great too.
Imo the only pros that the N82 has is the camera and HSDPA. Since I don't use the camera that much and since the use of HSDPA or any kind of mobile Internet is quite expensive (for a 16 year old student) here in Germany, I could live very well without them.

Ahhh yes almost forgot the GPS from the N82 but why would a 16 year old need GPS?
But if the said features of the N82 are needed more than the touchscreen of the G900 or the slimness of it then go for the N82.
One thing I like about my G900 is that It's uncommon (never saw anyone besides me carrying it) and I like to have something which is uncommon. (might be a little bit weird but I'm just like that )

[ This Message was edited by: Yakkaimono on 2008-08-13 11:43 ]

Those are YOUR needs, don't affiliate your needs with his, he may use the internet more, he may use the GPS, and the price of the N82 is quite low now, some places slightly more expensive than the G900, but there just so much for applications for it and more support.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi