Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > google releases gmaps native uiq3 client

Author google releases gmaps native uiq3 client
only me
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 15:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@mnm I had the same problem with my location last night, solved it when I found out google maps was using the wap connection account rather than the gprs connection account. I had to remove the wap account, login to google maps, use my location on gprs then after my location was working i put the wap account back on my phone. Not sure why it wouldn't just pickup the gprs account but it's working now.
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 15:57
I cant seem to get this app to work. When i first loaded it last week it worked just fine the first 2 or 3 times i used it. Now i cant even get an image of the map to load. Im in the US on tmobile, ive tried setting the phone to gsm only to no avail (not that it would matter as tmobile US has no 3g yet). Ive even tried wifi again nothing. Anyone have any suggestions. Anyone in the US been able to get thier p1i or w960i to use this app?
tesssst
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 16:23

On 2008-03-05 14:07:18, MnM wrote:
Can't seem to get My Location working except on WLAN - as this is at home I already know where I am anyway.

It is not working for me on WLAN - are you on 3G or normal GSM when doing that?
And you're 100% sure your data transfers are going out through WLAN and not some Operator GPRS or something data plan?
To the other guy: You can tell the GM app exactly which connection to use - there is a special menu option, so pls ppl check to see what connection you're using before posting

The Way I see it, Scotland67's Idea could have a point - it could get the ID through GSM or 3g and send it over the WIFI - but since it is not working on WLAN here I doubt this is the case
Although I can not test it through GSM or 3G alone either - could be that they don't know the Cell IDs here...

The other option is - depending on connection
if GSM or 3G - use the Cell Information
if on WLAN - use WI FI hot spots in the area...

I dunno - unless someone confirms and proves that this thing works on WLAN (alone) I am going to assume that it DOES NOT WORK ON WLAN alone...

Ah and yeah - it uses 3 to triangulate it to make it more accurate (if available I guess)
If you're outside a city, using only one available cell it could mean a radios of about 2-3kms
Even inside a city, standing on a hill overlooking the main city, you can still pick up a strong Cell down in the city area - so the 3 Cell option is for accuracy only

[ This Message was edited by: tesssst on 2008-03-05 15:25 ]
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-05 18:07
Well, this is how Google say it works...

"Mobile towers are placed by operators throughout an area to provide coverage for their users. Each of these towers has its own individual coverage area, usually split into three non-overlapping sections known as "cells." These cells come with identification numbers, but no location information. Google takes geo-contextual information [from anonymous GPS-readings, etc] and associates this information with the cell at that location to develop a database of cell locations. Based on this information, Google uses various algorithms to approximate your location relative to the cells nearest you. The accuracy of this information depends on how big an individual cell is. Thus, areas with a denser concentration of mobile towers allow for a more accurate My Location reading. Additionally, as our database of cell locations continues to improve, so too does the accuracy and coverage of the My Location feature. "

quoted from the FAQ here:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/topic.py?topic=9112

kenzaburo
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-06 00:26
Well, downloaded google maps just today and I can say this app works good on my P1, I am very happy with it. i have no problem with 'my location' feature - to my surprise its quite accurate, it tells me I'm in range of 5000m whitch is represented by a blue circle...I'm in it - so its ok! I live in 200k city with good 3g coverage but i always keep it off to save battery. Couple of months ago I disabled GPRS transmission and since buying my P1 i havent used it, so for browsing I'am ONLY using WLAN connection. I have no idea how 'my location' works just on wifi but since it does the magic...
rcheli32
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-03-06 22:43
Works fine for me in Melbourne Australia. In the cbd it got my location to within 100 meters. Out in the suburbs it had trouble getting any fix at all though.
scaglifr
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-03-07 09:54
For me ( on UK voda ) the app just hangs on the " loading ... " message once it has launched. This applies on both GPRS and 3G coverage (have tried at different locations)
ericl
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-07 11:12

On 2008-03-07 09:54:32, scaglifr wrote:
For me ( on UK voda ) the app just hangs on the " loading ... " message once it has launched. This applies on both GPRS and 3G coverage (have tried at different locations)

I'm also on Voda and the same happens for me too. The app works fine over my WiFi account. I tried deleting the WAP account and it worked but when I reinstated the WAP account it just went back to hanging again.
Buttoneer
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-03-07 12:45
With my W960 on O2 it tells me that the program requires a data connection (I have one) to do it's thing. I've unchecked the 'use proxy' in the connections control panel but still nothing.

Anyone got an easy list of things I can check?
scaglifr
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-03-08 18:25

On 2008-03-07 11:12:48, ericl wrote:

I'm also on Voda and the same happens for me too. The app works fine over my WiFi account. I tried deleting the WAP account and it worked but when I reinstated the WAP account it just went back to hanging again.

Sounds like another UK voda restrictive practice issue again : need to figure out just what voda are after.
previn
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-03-08 18:33
mine works perfectly on voda.
i think you need internet connection not wap.
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-03-08 19:58

This is exactly whats happening with mine im on tmobile USA
NyteMunkey
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-03-08 21:38

On 2008-03-08 19:58:07, defiantbeast wrote:

This is exactly whats happening with mine im on tmobile USA

I am also on tmobile USA w/ w950 and get this problem.
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-03-09 16:15
working fine with my w960 on tsel, bit slow on gprs
floke
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-11 08:50
is there a direct download link for installing it from PC?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi