Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Official R300/R306 Discussion

Author Official R300/R306 Discussion
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-26 08:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Why does SE think people in developing countries like India and Pakistan are radio lovers? We're not!! Even the poorest person who can afford a phone likes listening to music of HIS OWN choice rather than a radio.
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-26 09:28

On 2008-01-26 08:29:22, QVGA wrote:
Why does SE think people in developing countries like India and Pakistan are radio lovers? We're not!! Even the poorest person who can afford a phone likes listening to music of HIS OWN choice rather than a radio.

I am not sure about Pakistan. But FM radio is a big criteria when young Indians go on a mobile phone searching hunt. The "Hip" image that SE has in India will only increase with these. However, FM radio being only in cities and suburbs is a problem. But these phones have AM as well.

And when you say even the poorest person likes HIS OWN choice of music, let me remind you that its not just the music itself. FM radio here have outgrown the "music" stage. Its how they present their programmes that matters. Anyway, thats another story. I fail to fathom why some people are so incensed when a phone is directed at a particular segment? Also these phones have low memory so HIS OWN choice of music becomes limited - or is there a choice? The only thing now is the pricing. These will only sell if price sensibly.
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-26 09:32
The thing that bothers me is that SE thinks people will go nuts over a radio oriented phone? They're making it sound like radio is some sort of new kick ass technology that us poor folks will drool over.
Do you really think when some one goes over a shop and the shop keeper says, 'look this SE phone has RADIO in it' and he'll be like' WOW a radio? i must have one!'
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-26 09:41

On 2008-01-26 09:32:53, QVGA wrote:
The thing that bothers me is that SE thinks people will go nuts over a radio oriented phone? They're making it sound like radio is some sort of new kick ass technology that us poor folks will drool over.
Do you really think when some one goes over a shop and the shop keeper says, 'look this SE phone has RADIO in it' and he'll be like' WOW a radio? i must have one!'

Thats advertising my friend. Everyone knows that an FM radio in a phone is not something groundbreaking. But c'mon SE started with these "segmentation" of phones. Before the walkman series, there was no such thing like a "Music Phone". Then we had the N-Series, projected as multimedia phones. Can't multimedia phones play music? Then why do we have a specific "Music Edition" in the N-Series? I am sure only the dumbest of salesmen will project these as the "Radio" phone. Its just directed at the young segment where FM radio is a craze. Its not the radio in the phone thats revolutionary, but a phone projected at the FM listening crowd is. (Not a big revolution BTW )
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
crossmatched
C901 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-26 17:25
well the new feature worthy of appreciating in the R series is the presence of the AM band in the radio. Not just the usual FM band.

Its a first for a cellphone.

And SE is to be credited for that (just like the many "firsts-in-cellphones" that SE gave to us eg. autofocus, xenon flash, walkman)

www.secondmanonthemoon.blogspot.com
we are all works under progress
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-27 05:08

Oh, and they'll be shipping with a small attachment to use radio without headphones!

The Unofficial Sony Ericsson Blog
Best dedicated blog ever!

[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2008-01-24 10:36 ]

Attachments are so yesterday. Why do they keep coming up with half-assed solutions like this. Everyone's going all-in-one these days and they're just delaying the inevitable. No one needs to drag some extra stuff along that's unusable for anything else than getting a reception. To think they've bucked up and gotten such an audio oriented thing some practical solution not available on other devices. It's just the same as the others, just less features to sell it cheap. Really creative. Sheesh.
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2008-02-17 20:29

On 2008-01-24 17:05:34, gola wrote:
what about any pics of the antennae attachment?

...please
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-05-08 17:44
...This time, it's the Sony Ericsson R300 mobile phone that cleared the FCC hurdle. This is also a cameraphone, and features TrackID - a free music recognition service. TrackID allows you to search for song titles, artists and album names. There's also a web browser on the phone.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/so[....]obile-phone-gets-fcc-approved/
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-07-05 13:02
Well if anyone wants this, its now available. And fairly cheaply too:

http://www.plemix.com/phone-sonyericsson-r300-phone
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-07-05 19:01
Yeah the R300 is great phone for entry level users in my opinion.
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-08-01 10:36

On 2008-01-26 08:29:22, QVGA wrote:

Well from this article, a lot of cities in India don't have FM radio transmitters so there is demand for phones with AM reception.

They're just tapping into that market.

Sony Ericsson launches radio-packed mobiles

Hyderabad: Sony Ericsson on Thursday announced the launch of two radio-packed mobile phones with AM facility targeting cities without FM.

It also plans to roll out more India-made phones designed for local requirements.

The company has manufacturing pacts with Flextronics and Foxconn in Chennai with a capacity for about 10 million phones a year by 2010.

Addressing a press conference here, Mathur said, “We are witnessing an unprecedented growth in smaller towns and cities and plan to increase our geographical presence in such places with the launch of Radio Phone R300 and R306 (to be launched in a couple of weeks).”

“Research showed that there is demand for phones with AM facility as FM is available in only about 53 cities in the country. Therefore, we have launched these two attractively priced phones to cater to the needs of not just major cities but B&C towns as well,” its country manager, Mr Sudhin Mathur, said.

The Indian market is adding about 6.5 million phones per month. Of them, even if one were to factor that about 25 per cent of them are replacement phones, the market for new ones was constantly going up, he said.

The company currently offers about five models of India-made phones

steveatkoss
C905 Gold
PM
Posted: 2008-08-01 15:26
GF any idea which are the 5 Indian made phones?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi